Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JDM
What's DOS?
Views: 2,622
Message 1 of 11

Invalid .jpg image files when taking pictures

Main problem:

I've noticed that the cameral occasionally saves an invalid image file. This is when I use any settings - including default.

The file appears in the dcim/Camera folder with the other images, but can not be viewed. When I attempt to transfer the file via windows, the transfer will hang saying the file is corrupt or invalid.

I've saved about ten of these just today (took about 80 photos total). Again, most of the photos worked fine, but 1 in 9 is pretty bad.

I tried resetting the phone to factory defaults.

I made sure the update that was just released was successful.

I'm hanging on to a bunch of the invalid files if needed for a dev to look at.  I attached one of the files ot this message.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Secondary issue - mostly an annoyance:

On another note - when I take a photo, the image file list won't refresh unless I back up a folder level and then redisplay the files again.

Motorola Admin Motorola Admin
Motorola Admin
Message 2 of 11

Re: Invalid .jpg image files when taking pictures

The attached image is just a little white box, so I can't see what you're seeing. Can you try again?

Do you have any other app loaded that might be using the camera to operate?

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
JDM
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 11

The broken file I sent is the point. That's what the camera/camera software

is producing on a seemingly random basis. I can send you 10 more broken

files just like that one from a single day of taking pictures. In fact, out

of five photos I took today, I had one more bad file. They vary in size just

like the normal images do.Do you want me to send the broken files in a zip

archive?

I do not have any other software loaded that accesses the camera. This has

been an issue since the first day.

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 12:12 PM, Matt <

JDM
What's DOS?
Message 4 of 11

Here's 7 invalid image files from the camera in a zip archive.

My guess - the file headers are not being properly written. I don't have access to a hex editor to look though at the moment as I'm at a remote job site, and I really don't know that much about image files.

JDM
What's DOS?
Message 5 of 11

So, it appears that turning off the anti-shake has helped clear up the problem somewhat. Either that or the random-bug just hasn't chewed on me for a while.  I'll keep an eye on this and post if I figure out anything.

Not applicable
Message 6 of 11

Opened in a hex editor, the time & date format seems to be a huge problem.  See attached photo.

I just rebuilt this pc so its going to take some time before I get my usual apps re-installed.  Will try and force open it in photoshop & lightroom in a few.  So far mspaint has not worked, even after fixing the date/time headers.

Motorola Admin Motorola Admin
Motorola Admin
Message 7 of 11

Wow, way over my head. I will see if one of the camera engineers can take a look.

Thanks!

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
tmurj
What's DOS?
Message 8 of 11

I just got to your thread and I managed to force my machine to open it and even funnier still it just gives me a question mark still. Looking in a Hex editor looks like your right, and the only thing I can think of is on your phone there was a bad flash of the OS system. That would be why system restore didnt do anything. Basically Motorola will have to give you a new phone or reflash it.

LandLizard
Punch Card
Message 9 of 11

Just got this Droid X last Friday for many of the features of a smartphone but fed up with Samsung. Went with Motorola as their cell phones have been thus far been the best. /shakes head

Have done the two updates, and started customizing and getting to know the Droid X. Started testing with some photos and many of them are showing basic icons. Open them and they come back as invalid. ??? The same black squares the OP had posted.

All of the tumbnails are invalid images in the 'H:\MOT\DCIM\.thumbnails' folder, and there are 565 of them.

Have connected via the USB Mass Storage Mode. Currently the camera has 31 jpg photos and one 3gp movie I took as tests. Windows Media Player says the movie is invalid. And every JPG photo is invalid.

PC Mode had same issues.

Only by using the Windows Media Sync could the movie & photos be usable & viewable. Unfortuntely the manual fails to tell the user what the other three modes are for nor how they can be used.

As for the thumbnails, none are seen in this mode. So do I now have 565 of invalid thumbnails taking up space?

Also had noted that one cannot take photos with the USB cable plugged into the computer. All photos taken do not get saved in this fashion.

Z40 Laptop • i7-4510U • 8GB RAM • 1TB Hybrid HDD • 14" FHD (16:9) • GeForce GT820M / 2GB • BGN WiFi • Win8.1 x64
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 10 of 11

You should be able to just delete the thumbnails folder. This will force the OS to recreate that folder and all of its content. If there is a corrupted file in there than that could be what is causing your problems. I have seen this issue before.

The reason you can't take pictures with the phone Connected to a computer is that the phone needs the SD card to save the photos to. When connected to the computer the SD card is not accessible to the phone, except in PC mode. I don't know if it would work in that mode either. HTH

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.