cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
4x4van
What's DOS?
Views: 9,756
Message 1 of 23

Keyboard no longer has "return" key in messaging app.

This is really annoying.  While in the stock text messaging app on my Droid X, the keyboard no longer has the "return" key.  It has been replaced by a "smiley" key instead.  There is no way to do a carriage return, skip a line, etc. while in the text messaging app.  I have tried both the Swype keyboard and the Multi Touch keyboard, and they both have the problem.

The "return" key is there in all the other apps, and it used to be available in the text app prior to Froyo.  It is also there if I use other text apps (Handcent, Go SMS), which means it is only the combo of the stock messaging app, and Froyo that creates the problem.

What gives?  This is a major annoyance to me.  I don't care about stupid "smileys", and if I did, I could input them manually.  What I DO care about is being able to skip a line, or drop down a line to start a new paragraph/thought, rather than being forced to run everything together.  Whose brilliant idea was this?

4x4van
What's DOS?
Message 1 of 23

Re: Keyboard no longer has "return" key in messaging app.

This is really annoying.  While in the stock text messaging app on my Droid X, the keyboard no longer has the "return" key.  It has been replaced by a "smiley" key instead.  There is no way to do a carriage return, skip a line, etc. while in the text messaging app.  I have tried both the Swype keyboard and the Multi Touch keyboard, and they both have the problem.

The "return" key is there in all the other apps, and it used to be available in the text app prior to Froyo.  It is also there if I use other text apps (Handcent, Go SMS), which means it is only the combo of the stock messaging app, and Froyo that creates the problem.

What gives?  This is a major annoyance to me.  I don't care about stupid "smileys", and if I did, I could input them manually.  What I DO care about is being able to skip a line, or drop down a line to start a new paragraph/thought, rather than being forced to run everything together.  Whose brilliant idea was this?

zbreeze02
802.11n
Message 3 of 23

Text messages are meant to be short one-liners, no return needed.  Email is good for longer or formated messages.  I know MMS allows longer messages, but it still is no substitute for a formated email.

4x4van
What's DOS?
Message 4 of 23

Who says text messages are meant to be short one-liners?  Even your response above is three sentences. 
Whether or not a "return" is needed is not the issue.  If I want to send a 2 or 3 sentence text message, with a bit of separation thrown in, why can't I?  I can with Handcent.  I can with Go SMS. And I USED to be able to with the stock Motorolla text app.

Shouldn't it be my option?

Highlighted
zbreeze02
802.11n
Message 5 of 23

> Who says text messages are meant to be short one-liners?

SMS is limited to 160 characters.  Only about 140 characters are are available for message content.  Carriage Returns and Line Feeds are not forbidden, but not always implementd in a text SMS client.  Look up the definition of SMS (short Message Service).  A good place to start is:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS

> Even your response above is three sentences.

My above response is not a text message and does not have SMS limitations or short message expectations.

>Whether or not a "return" is needed is not the issue.  If I want to send a 2 or 3 sentence text message, with a bit of separation thrown in, why can't I?

If it fits into the 160/140 character limit go for it.

> I can with Handcent.  I can with Go SMS. And I USED to be able to with the stock Motorolla text app.

Shouldn't it be my option?

Why not use the two options that you listed.

geochapman
What's DOS?
Message 6 of 23

Since Motorola engineers and software people do  not respond on this board how would anyone here really know why anything is done?

zbreeze02
802.11n
Message 7 of 23

> Okay, now you're just patronizing me, which is not appreciated.

I apologize.  I am naive enough to think that you wanted to know more. There will be no more folowup by me.

4x4van
What's DOS?
Message 8 of 23

Perhaps you are naive...naive enough to think that I would appreciate you telling me I shouldn't want a feature that everyone else has and that I used to have, rather than trying to answer the question of why the feature was removed.

If you asked me where you could get a good burger in the area, and my answer to you was that obesity is a problem in society and you should be eating a salad...would that answer your question?  No.  Would you appreciate my response?  I doubt it.  But that wouldn't make me naive, it would make me stupid and arrogant.  Just a thought...

f38urry
WWAN
Message 9 of 23

4x4van,

You wrote "The "return" key is there in all the other apps, and it used to be available in the text app prior to Froyo."  That is not correct.  Froyo was pushed to our Droid X phones in late September 2010.  As you can see from the following thread posted by exit15w July 16, 2010 (over two months prior to Froyo) there was no "return" key from the day the phone was first sold by Verizon.

https://supportforums.motorola.com/message/185986#185986

4x4van
What's DOS?
Message 10 of 23

Well, I'm not sure what's going on then. I do know that I had that ability when I first got the X. I also know that it disappeared at some point. And I've never used anything other than the stock text app til just yesterday when I tried out Handcent and Go. At least those two apps give you the option of setting the keyboard to either the return key or smiley key. Thank you for actually addressing my question, however.