cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tjm58
What's DOS?
Views: 1,337
Message 11 of 23

Re: Keyboard no longer has "return" key in messaging app.

I found the response to this on another forum. Press the up arrow key on the left of the keyboard. The smiley face will change to the return key.

Ed_W
What's DOS?
Message 12 of 23

Thank you tjm58  !!

Highlighted
M2DVDGuy
What's DOS?
Message 13 of 23

Thanks for bringing this up.  I asked both Verizon and Motorola support about this and no one could tell me the simple answer I found here.

Who would have thunk that the Shift key offers a carriage return?  Smiley Happy

I support that even in SMS (which I agree should be kept short) there are times one needs to enhance an expression with the separation of a line feed.  The answers that denied your need are frustrating and represent an attitude that will undermine the goals of excellent customer service.

Customer Service implies listening to the customer.  I realize that zbreeze is not a Motorola rep, but where should we as customers set our expectations?

Zbreeze offers that we should not expect something we were accustomed to utilizing on previous versions, and asks us to accpet his definition of how to use SMS.

So do we allow software developers determine our needs?  Or do we drive the specification they code to with our needs?

My previous Droid X had a return key and my Maxx did not, despite my contacts with Motorola and Verizon support folks.

I want the bang for the buck i paid for, and was disappointed to have no answer for line feeding an SMS message.

I am very thankful for this forum (tjm58) providing the simple answer to the need I share with 4x4van.

Don''t stop demanding that the products they design for us meet our needs.  we too easily lower the bar.

Let's continue to help each other enjoy the use of our phones!

house-boy49
What's DOS?
Message 14 of 23

tjm58 said:

I found the response to this on another forum. Press the up arrow key on the left of the keyboard. The smiley face will change to the return key.

View original

Thanks so much man

Abby2660
What's DOS?
Message 15 of 23

I bought a new Droid Maxx 1st part of 2014, only to find out Return key was missing!? Smiley Sad At that time, it was still on my Droid Razr, so it wasn't a function of older phone keyboards, even though it was a version 4.2? Just seemed to appear with new "Kit Kat" phone versions.

Can't begin to tell you how DELIGHTED I was to find the simple answer on here!

The suggestion to send an email for longer msgs was ridiculous! Many times, I/we don't even know a person's email; not to mention fact that nearly every professional I deal with, including technicians, landscapers, electricians, contractors & Realtors, etc. send very detailed msgs via text, since we all have each others cell #s, but very seldom even have the email info (w/exception of Realtors, maybe).

Plus, it's preferable to sign off, with, 4 example:

Regards,
Thanks, etc. Smiley Happy
house-boy49
What's DOS?
Message 16 of 23

Abby,

We have to hit the up arrow button on the left and then the smily face button on the right will become a carriage return.

michaelmross
What's DOS?
Message 17 of 23

This is a serious trojan. Perhaps in the kernel...

If a partition wipe and reset doesn't fix it, call support, and they'll replace the phone.

Don't be fooled by a fake return key or the word "Return". If it doesn't look exactly right, it's not OK.

Mark_Emeritus Moto Emeritus
Moto Emeritus
Message 18 of 23

Michaelmross

It's not a Trojan. A majority of users probably used Emoticons more frequently than hard returns so Google probably made a UI decision to depreciate use of return key on primary keyboard while in short messaging apps. If you press shift it appears. If you long press the return the emoticon appears as an alternate.

As I am typing this message the return key is there. If I was in a number only field there would be a numeric keypad instead of qwerty keyboard.

Mark

Forums Manager
Mark
Former Employee
angelhrt17
What's DOS?
Message 19 of 23

tjm58 said:

View original

Thank you SO much! I had the same problem and it was very frustrating! 

KaushikG
What's DOS?
Message 20 of 23

Just hit the Shift key, and you will see the "Return" key on the bottom right of your keypad.