Moto Emeritus
Views: 167
Message 1 of 12

Live from Motorola's Droid X Event....

DansDroid Moto Emeritus
Moto Emeritus
Message 2 of 12

Re: Live from Motorola's Droid X Event....

Suggestion:  When viewing this URL, at the top of the page, just below the header, turn auto-refresh "ON" to get the very latest breaking news...new important information has been added and inserted into the original post.   --- Dan

slimjim1814
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 12

That event was stupid.

All for a phone that I cant upgrade to.

To find out 2.2 is atleast 2-3 more months away, probably longer and they never mentioned Droid 1 directly as getting it.

Mobile hotspot and tethering we are gonna be rocked another $20/month for a lousy 2GB.

Time to root and avoid all this mess, waiting and dictatorship.

bcruze
What's DOS?
Message 4 of 12

nm

slimjim1814
What's DOS?
Message 5 of 12

Just to follow up.

I do see where it was mentioned that Droid 1 will be getting 2.2

I sill have my doubts, however lets just prepair to wait atleast til January

So much for "soon"

DansDroid Moto Emeritus
Moto Emeritus
Message 6 of 12

Google says "Gingerbread" is due out in Q4 of this year.  That's going to be a tight squeeze for Froyo between now and then.   --- Dan

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 7 of 12

I can see them probably holding off on getting Froyo for Droid 1 until X gets it.  They wouldn't want the new phone to not have it when the old one does.  There is no selling point when the old is better than the new.  At least that is how I see it.  Just my opinion.

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.

slimjim1814
What's DOS?
Message 8 of 12

That how I see it too.

We will get it after N1 and the X, there is not one doubt in my mind about that.

slimjim1814
What's DOS?
Message 9 of 12

Yea, they also said that 2.2 would be out 1st half of this year.

Bud, trust me were not getting 2.2 til at least Christmas as for Gingerbread, I'm not holding any hopes for that at all for the Droid 1.

And quite frankly, you were touting that we should circle May 17th on our calenders for 2.2, good thing I didn't hold that as gospel.

My thought is Droid 1 will get 2.2 after X and N1 around Christmas, they will do gingerbread soon after just for the X, N1 and Droid 2 and any other device Motorola puts out til then. But we will not be getting Gingerbread on Droid 1, trust that.

DansDroid Moto Emeritus
Moto Emeritus
Message 10 of 12

slimjim1814 wrote:

Yea, they also said that 2.2 would be out 1st half of this year.

Bud, trust me were not getting 2.2 til at least Christmas as for Gingerbread, I'm not holding any hopes for that at all for the Droid 1.

And quite frankly, you were touting that we should circle May 17th on our calenders for 2.2, good thing I didn't hold that as gospel.

My thought is Droid 1 will get 2.2 after X and N1 around Christmas, they will do gingerbread soon after just for the X, N1 and Droid 2 and any other device Motorola puts out til then. But we will not be getting Gingerbread on Droid 1, trust that.

SJ, you really should go back and read the post.  First, I was the messenger, I refer to the "author" in that post...not me.  Second, if you are going to quote the post, it's probably best to be accurate...the date was May 19th., for the release of Android 2.2.  That release being referenced was Google's words at I/O.  In fact, they *did* release Android 2.2 on May 24th, as I recall, to the Nexus One.  Unfortunately for them, they had to stop the release because of problems.  In that same thread, 3 posts down, I said that "I'm not holding my breath".    You have absolutely no more idea when we are getting Froyo or Gingerbread than I do, and I don't!  It would be pleasing if you would stop being so negative on this issue.  I have said it will be worth the wait, and I certainly still believe that.   --- Dan