Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ETPhoneHomeT
802.11n
Views: 103
Message 1 of 20

Love my DX...but should I upgrade now?

What to do?  I am still very pleased with the performance of my DX.  Bought it on release date of 7/15/2010 and it has served me very well.  A few bugs every now and then but nothing that has incapacitated the phone and always able to find workarounds to make it work for me.

But lo and behold, here comes the new "Share Everything" tiered data plan.  Some of my options being considered:

1) Stick with my DX until it dies and remain under my existing unlimited data plan?

2) Purchase a new phone (probably a RAZR MAXX) before 6/28 and keep my unlimited data plan for at least another 2 years?

3) Wait until after 6/28 to purchase a new phone (maybe the RAZR HD?) and pay full retail to keep unlimited data?

4) Wait until after 6/28 to purchase a new phone (maybe the RAZR HD?), pay the discounted upgrade price and go on the new shared data plans?

5) Buy a new phone and leave Big Red?

I'm currently on an individual account and benefit from 20% corporate discount pricing.  From what I've read on the new pricing plan, if I were to switch to it at only the 2GB per month tier, my monthly bill would go up about 35% over what I'm paying currently so I don't think I really want to give up unlimited data and go under the new shared data plan.

What would you do?  Appreciate any thoughts and suggestions!

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 2 of 20

Re: Love my DX...but should I upgrade now?

I am in the same boat. If I go to the shared plans than my bill will go up and I am a big data user. I also live in the country and this phone and my USB Verizon modem is the only Internet access that I have. Everything I have now is unlimited data. If I switch, I lose that.

I average 12-20 GB on USB modem and 6-10 GB on the 3 phones that are on my account. I don't know what I will do if I lose unlimited data.

I am going to be buying all my devices outright and hold onto my unlimited for as long as I can.

One thing that I think you may want to ask Verizon about is if you wait til later will you be forced to change plans if you go to a 4G device? That wouldn't be good if you pay full price for a phone and then be forced to change plans as well. Being in the know is always best. Hope this helps.

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.

ETPhoneHomeT
802.11n
Message 3 of 20

Wow, we're not in the same boat.....I'm in a row boat and you're in a steamship! You're definitely a power user!  From all the press releases and blogs I've read, as long as you pay full retail for your next phone, you can still keep your current unlimited plan.  But then, who really knows for sure?  And what's stopping them from just totally eliminating all unlimited data plans at some point in the future.  

One question Joelbon...I believe you have some 4G LTE phones in your stable of phones (RAZR MAXX), right?  Do you use 4G much and if you do, did you notice much of a jump in your data consumption when you switched from 3G?  I rarely go over 1.5 GB per month as I'm on Wifi at home and 3G otherwise and more often than not, I'm slightly below 1.0 GB.  So, switching to a shared data plan may not be that painful for me today.  However, looking into the future with more and more data hungry apps like video streaming, video phone calls, etc becoming more and more prevalent, I think keeping unlimited data could make a huge difference down the road and might be well worth hanging onto as long as possible.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 4 of 20

Yes, I have a Razr and a Razr MAXX. I don't live in a 4G area, though. Do you have a cable or DSL Internet account? If you do, how much data do you use on that? Like I said, this is my only Internet access since I live in the country.

My usage has also increase in the last month since I got a lapdock 500 pro. I absolutely love it and have stopped using my laptop altogether. Either way though all my data is used from Verizon devices. I am a power user.Cool

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.

ETPhoneHomeT
802.11n
Message 5 of 20

My home internet is via Charter cable.  I can't see anywhere online or on my bills that shows my actual data consumption.  I just pay a flat fee per month for high speed internet service.  That shouldn't matter though because if I go to a 4G phone, I'll still be using Wifi at home.  It's only when I'm away from home that my data consumption could increase since I'd be on 4G instead of 3G in my area.  

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 6 of 20

ETPhoneHomeT said:

That shouldn't matter though because if I go to a 4G phone, I'll still be using Wifi at home.  It's only when I'm away from home that my data consumption could increase since I'd be on 4G instead of 3G in my area.  

That is my point exactly, as far as my usage goes. If I had high speed interenet service at home than I would do the same thing as you. I would connect to wifi while I was at home. I end up looking like a heavy user, but my Verizon data is my only Internet connection while I am at home. It is either my phone or USB modem. Both devices gets the internet access from Verizon.

ETPhoneHomeT
802.11n
Message 7 of 20

Gotcha.  You're in big trouble if you ever lose unlimited data, aren't you?  However, at the same time the current plan isn't really fair to non power users as we pay the same amount and consume significantly less data.  Most likely, I'll just lay low for awhile and see how this shakes out over the coming months.  Like I said, my DX works and if I don't do anything, for now at least I stay on the same plan and retain unlimited data.  I don't really want to purchase a RAZR MAXX right now although I've heard lots of good things about it.  I'm a little concerned what the pending move to ICS might do to it with Moto's history of OS updates with their other DROID phones.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 8 of 20

I feel that I do pay my fair share. The USB modem is a $60 charge a month. That along with $90 worth of charges for internet on 3 phones. That is $150 a month that I pay a month just for Internet service per month. I don't use more than what I am paying for.

You are right though that I will be in trouble if I lose unlimited. I know that it will happen eventually, but I will push it as far into th future as I can.

D_Harris1
What's DOS?
Message 9 of 20

Greetings,

I've attached a pdf of Verizon's official Share Everything plan. The document only details the new plan---it doesn't comment on Verizon's "grandfathering" policy.

D.Harris

ETPhoneHomeT
802.11n
Message 10 of 20

This is what I'm basing my beliefs of being grandfathered on unlimited data plans upon:

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/06/13/recap-everything-you-need-to-know-about-verizons-share-everythi...