cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mrack42
What's DOS?
Views: 126
Message 11 of 20

Re: Love my DX...but should I upgrade now?

I made my move.  Here's my input, what I did, and why I'm still smiling.

1) Stick with my DX until it dies and remain under my existing unlimited data plan?

Here's the thing... the discount you get on a new phone w/ a new 2-year plan is too good to pass up... you want that.  Plus, you want to have the guns to run the OS updates and latest apps.  The DX will probably never see ICS, and if it did, it probably wouldn't run well.

2) Purchase a new phone (probably a RAZR MAXX) before 6/28 and keep my unlimited data plan for at least another 2 years?

That's basically what I did, but I went for the Galaxy Nexus.  Razr Maxx looks pretty comparable... slightly better or worse in various cases.  The Nexus is nearly bloat-ware free, and that's what attracted me.  It also has a larger screen.  Also, "allegedly", the Nexus phones should see OS updates more readily.  Frankly, didn't want to get another Motorola phone.  That said, Razr Maxx looks like it has a tremendous battery, which I can appreciate. Smiley Happy  Some great things there... I can respect that.

3) Wait until after 6/28 to purchase a new phone (maybe the RAZR HD?) and pay full retail to keep unlimited data?

Paying full retail for the phone is a LOT of $, which is going to seriously hurt your gains by staying w/ the unlimited plan.  It's far from ideal, IMO... it's not your cheapest option, though you could then wait and see what the Nexus phones coming out in the fall look like.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/05/report-google-will-unveil-android-5-0-on-multiple-nexus-brand...

4) Wait until after 6/28 to purchase a new phone (maybe the RAZR HD?), pay the discounted upgrade price and go on the new shared data plans?

Personally, if you have Unlimited, it would be a shame to lose it.  Also, if you only have one phone, it would be a shame to pay for these "shared" plans, pay extra, and get nothing for it.  But really, I say cling on to your unlimited plan all you can.

5) Buy a new phone and leave Big Red?

Personally, I like Verizon's service, and most of my friends/family are on Verizon... I find the call quality is best on Verizon.  AT&T... well, it depends on where you are, maybe... but I want Verizon's service, personally.

SO, what I did... with 6months left on my contract and eligible for an annual phone upgrade, I signed a new contract, got a Galaxy Nexus for 200$, +30$ upgrade fee, + some junk, all together I left the store 250$ lighter, w/ an unlimited data plan locked in about 20$/mo cheaper than what I probably would have gotten on the new plans.  20$ x 24mo = 480$... and a phone that blows my old DX away.  Definitely happy w/ what I did.  There was compromise involved, yes, absolutely... but I'm very pleased w/ the outcome.

ETPhoneHomeT
802.11n
Message 12 of 20

I made my move yesterday.  I wanted to be able to use my last upgrade to get a 4G LTE capable phone and still retain unlimited data so had to make the move by 6/28.  I agonized deciding between the RAZR MAXX and the SGS3 for a week or two but in the end decided to go with the RAZR MAXX.  The SGS3 was very attractive with bigger screen and great specs, but I've never owned Samsung and hear that in the past, there have been reception issues with Samsung phones on VZW's CDMA/LTE network.  Also, I viewed some of the video reviews of the SGS3's new features and most of them were not that attractive to me.  Sharing options in most cases were only good between SGS3 phones and I don't have any friends/family looking to buy one right now.  The Siri like voice thing doesn't apprear to work very well.  Also, didn't want to buy a phone sight unseen and had concerns that a 4.8 inch screen might actually be too big.

This will be the 5th Motorola phone I've owned and I've had very good experiences with the brand.  I think their build quality is better than the other brands and the 3300 mAh battery was a big plus.  Compared to the DX, this thing is seriously FAST.  Motoblur is improved.  ICS will likely be released by the end of the month.  I'm crossing my fingers that the ICS update will go smoothly unlike some of the past DX issues upgrading to Froyo and GB for some DX owners.  Forgot what a chore it was to rebuild all of my screens and settings.  But so far, I'm very happy with my purchase decision!!!

SPF
What's DOS?
Message 13 of 20

I will probably be one of the last ones to upgrade my DX!  She has her quirks, but we've managed to work around any of the major ones.  Even after the beating it's endured, since release day, it still performs admirably; I couldn't ask for more from a smart device.  I don't buy into the cult of the "new" or the 4G hype -- I've used a number of 4G devices in and around Cleveland and have not noticed a significant increase in upload / d/l speeds.  I mean, it's not like we are talking about the difference between a 56k moden and a T1 line -- it's more like a Cable vs. DSL scenario.  Anyway, my DX and I have no plans to part ways anytime soon.  Smile

ETPhoneHomeT
802.11n
Message 14 of 20

I just wanted to provide an update that things are going very well with my new Motorola Droid Razr Maxx.  After seeing and reading about some of the major bugs and issues that developed with many DX's after Froyo and especially the GB update I was a bit concerned, but the recent update on the Razr Maxx to ICS appears to have gone very well.  The phone is still very fast, smooth and stable and I'm not seeing any widespread issues or bugs on any of the Razr Maxx forums.  This phone is definitely worth a look if you're considering upgrading.

danielb1
What's DOS?
Message 15 of 20

Got sick of the constant problems with my Droid X and rebooting it every day.  Since there were no more updates planned for it, I dumped it in favor of a new Droid RAZR.  So far I love it!  It is fast, responsive, has a nice big and better quality display, is thinner and weighs less, and it is running Ice Cream Sandwich (was disappointed that I had to wait for ICS to download and install instead of it shipping pre-installed)! 

I was disappointed to find that Googerola still packages their phone with lots of crapware, but at least I was able to uninstall alot of it.  Still stuck with useless apps like Facebook and alot of Verizon garbage, but I can finally uninstall Blockbuster and other crapware that I couldn't before on my DroidX!

Thanks to all that helped me out in the past with my Droid X - it was all much appreciated.  See you in the RAZR forums!

Doreen
802.11n
Message 16 of 20

My contract was over in July. I have been putting off looking at other phones. I love my X, and it has been very good to me.

I did not like another phone that I looked at today as much as I love my X.

I guess I will keep mine until it doesn't work anymore. I can live without 4G.

Joel, I joined this forum when I purchased my X and it's sorta sad that my X may be forced into retirement lol

dmathews
What's DOS?
Message 17 of 20

It's been a long while since I've logged-in here since I really have had no need/droidx has been working fine.   I actually came on to see what's happening in light of Samsung losing $1 billion to Apple for copyright infringement (Galaxy Nexus);  seems all android phones could be impacted...not sure though.

Anyway, it seems I'm stuck, with  DroidX if I want to keep my unlimited data plan w/ Verizon.  Is that correct?     I wouldn't mind considering trading up if it wasn't too late, but I don't want to do so if that  means losing my unlimited data plan.   I could frankly stick with my DroidX for another year or two without any problems.  I appreciate any clarification on losing the Verizon Unlimited Data plan.   

ETPhoneHomeT
802.11n
Message 18 of 20

The only way you can get a new phone after 6/28/12 and keep unlimited data is to pay full retail for the new phone which will run you somewhere between $600 to $800 for the top smartphones.
dmathews
What's DOS?
Message 19 of 20

ET - Thanks for your reply.  -  Wow, that's pretty crazy!.... In that case, I'll keep my DroidX for as long as I continue to get unlimited data. Thanks  very much for your reply.

Btw,  does anyone have any idea how the verdict against Samsung will affect our Android phones.   Can Apple prevent Android phones from being used since they all, including Motorolas, use Apple's technology?   http://www.cnbc.com/id/48783982  Thanks.

D. Mathews

mrack42
What's DOS?
Message 20 of 20

First of all, Samsung will appeal... its not over.

Regardless, Apple cannot disable your phone... no worries.

If the decision is upheld, the end game will be that the Android OS will see some noticeable design changes, so as not to look like an iPhone.

All this will ultimately mean, is that people in future won't be able to buy your phone... existing owners won't be affected much.