Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sliding_billy
What's DOS?
Views: 1,362
Message 1 of 22

MTP USB Device Failed (again)

So I had the hardest time getting a full driver install to complete in PC mode when I got the phone.  The MTP device failed over and over again.  After numerous driver uninstalls and reinstalls, I got it to work (still no idea what actually caused it to work).  After 2.2 upgrade, it worked fine again.  I reinstalled all USB modes with and without debugging with no issues.  I was having a few glitchy things happening (phone "hangs" and GPS location lag to name a few) with 2.2, so I decided to do a factory reset and SD reformat.  The phone is working great now, but NOTHING I can do will get PC or sync mode to install because the MTP will not work.  This is like a bad dream.  I am fairly confident I have done everything I did last time plus some including booting my PC with no USB devices except keyboard and mouse, using the actual driver .exe instead of mototconnect (a copy gets left in your user temp file after using the motoconnect install), every combination of uninstall and reinstall with reboots and battery out resets, and OF COURSE (since it started the problem) a FR.  Has anyone had the issue and actually solved it on a Win7 64 bit machine.

P.S. Yes I am starting without debugging as the Motoconnect installer won't show in mass storage with it on.  Also, it installed on an old XP machine with no issues.  I seriously think it is a bad driver.

Chris

scmp
What's DOS?
Message 2 of 22

Re: MTP USB Device Failed (again)

I have the same issues on win 7 x64, went through pretty much same troubleshooting steps, no dice. I noticed that it works fine in Linux though (Ubuntu).

sliding_billy
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 22

Bump!  Motorola?  Any suggestions?  Clearly the Win 7 64 bit driver is busted.

I guess it is time to quit thinking of this as a support forum and realize it is just a place to argue over issues and or Motorola's polcies.

Chris

sliding_billy
What's DOS?
Message 4 of 22

P.S. The MOT composite ADB interface fails also when installing the USB mass storage drivers in debugging mode.

Chris

RobK
What's DOS?
Message 5 of 22

I am having the same issues and I've tried everything, including uninstalling all of my USB Serial Bus Controllers and rebooting.

Sure would love it, if we could get an answer to this one.  I'm having the issue on my Window 7 64bit, but no problems on my XP machine at work.

Droid X

Froyo 2.2

sliding_billy
What's DOS?
Message 6 of 22

I wish I could help RobK.  I am still fighting this thing as well.  I plan on trying again on a different Windows 7 64 bit computer today, though I expect no success.  I stand by my claim that this is not a support forum (unless the question's/issue's difficulty level is somewhere around "where is the power button") but a discussion board.  Matt - is this a regularly reported issue to Moto tech support?  I hate to tell Moto this but 64 bit Win 7 has been out fo a long time now and is a very common OS.  Learn to write drivers that work please!

P.S. Moto is not alone in the inability to write drivers for this OS and seeming to just pretenf that there are no issues with the ones out there (knowing that everyone will find an XP computer to work with as needed).

Chris

crazed_z06
What's DOS?
Message 7 of 22

Interesting.. I just upgraded two computers to Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit this weekend and having no issues with the USB drivers.

I downloaded the file here.. http://www.motorola.com/consumers/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=bda09ec8009a0210VgnVCM1000008806b00aRCRD

I installed the drivers with the phone disconnected. When the install was done, I plugged in the phone and it recognized everything.  I can see the charging level and everything in Windows.

RobK
What's DOS?
Message 8 of 22

Thanks you so much crazed_z06.... It worked perfectly!!!

I have been trying to get this installed for weeks and that fixed it the first time!  To all of you that keep getting the MTP USB Device Failed error on Windows 7 64 bit... this worked perfectly for me!

I installed the driver from my computer, then Rebooted, then plugged in my Droid X and MTP installed correctly.

Thanks again crazed_z06!!!

RobK

sliding_billy
What's DOS?
Message 9 of 22

RobK,

Did you uninstall the original drivers 1st, or overwrite them?  Also, what USB mode was your phone in when you plugged in (and was debugging on)?  I have tried the unplugged install from the site numerous times.  I can't imagine I am missing anything, but...  This sounds just like the pre-Froyo experience I had.  It just happened to work one time for unknown reasons.  Also, I have seen where it looks like the MTP driver installed but you cannot access the files (or see it as a sync device in WMP) and a troubleshooting icon still shows in printers/devices and in device manager.  Did you check that it actually works as an MTP device?

Chris

RobK
What's DOS?
Message 10 of 22

sliding_billy,

I did not uninstall any of the prior drivers that did install correctly.  I just downloaded the file off of Motorola's website and ran the install.

I do have Debugging on and I was in PC Mode when plugged in the first time.

I have unplugged and reboot a couple of times and the drivers are still working correctly.  I've tested Every Mode a few times now and they all continue to work.  I will say however, that after rebooting and connecting my DroidX, it has taken over 1-2 minutes for the interface to load.  This could be my machine, not sure... but it does eventually pop up.

Hope this helps... Good luck to you!

Rob