Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Older Devices ArchiveDROID X by Motorola
All Forum Topics
Options

49 Posts

06-17-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 1 of 8

Missed marketing opportunity for Moto?

2012-02-18, 18:28 PM

I keep reading about the eminent expiration of all the Droid X contracts out there and I wonder if Motorola isn't missing a major opportunity to sell more phones or at the very least, keep a Motorola phone in our hands. At the moment, I consider myself a free agent and my next phone is equally likely to be a Motorola, Samsung, HTC, or less likely, even an iPhone (not necessarily in that order). I don't know how many Droid X phones are out there or how many owners feel the way I do but it seems to me Motorola could keep all of us Motorola fans and Motorola owners longer if they wowed us RIGHT NOW with an Ice Cream Sandwich update that knocks it out of the park. Even if it kept all of us from upgrading in the near term, at least we would still be holding a Motorola phone and we would likely be bragging to our not so forturnate friends about how great Motorola is for giving us ICS. What better advertising can you possibly have than to support a large number of people who are already supporting you. With Google/Motorola joining forces, this would seem easier than ever to accomplish.

Disclaimer: I am not a marketing person nor do I know the least bit about it so don't turn this discussion into a rant about how little the OP knows about marketing. 

Options

18 Posts

02-19-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 2 of 8

Re: Missed marketing opportunity for Moto?

2012-02-19, 5:05 AM

According to various reports there is a new update coming to the DX.. Android 2.3.6 

ICS doesn't make sense with its limited RAM, but it is a solid outing for the DX.  You should look at the Razr Maxx which I feel is the spiritual successor to the DX.

Options

1941 Posts

08-11-2010

United States of America

863 Signins

14025 Page Views

• Views: 14025
  • Message 3 of 8

2012-02-19, 13:35 PM

Even though I'd also be right there with you, everything I've read over the past few months indicates that the Droid X hardware/specifications (single core processor, for example) are probably not a good match for Ice Cream Sandwich.  Very unlikely to happen to an otherwise great phone, once the nine-month-old Gingerbread-caused issues are corrected.

Options

49 Posts

06-17-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 4 of 8

2012-02-19, 14:47 PM

adhurt said:

According to various reports there is a new update coming to the DX.. Android 2.3.6 

ICS doesn't make sense with its limited RAM, but it is a solid outing for the DX.  You should look at the Razr Maxx which I feel is the spiritual successor to the DX.

f38urry said:

Even though I'd also be right there with you, everything I've read over the past few months indicates that the Droid X hardware/specifications (single core processor, for example) are probably not a good match for Ice Cream Sandwich.  Very unlikely to happen to an otherwise great phone, once the nine-month-old Gingerbread-caused issues are corrected.

I guess you haven't heard about the CM-9 based EncounterICS X ROM. Although it has major day-to-day useability issues, e.g., the camera doesn't work, gallery has bugs, voice input other than phone calls doesn't work, none of the technical issues appear to be due to lack of RAM or a slower, single core processor or any other hardware limitation for that matter. The bottom line is, if these hobbiests had access to the camera drivers and other code need to complete the job, they would have a viable working ICS ROM for the Droid X. Motorola has the gallery code and camera drivers. They could do it if they wanted to. But they don't want to because it would mean dropping MotoBlur. With ICS and MotoBlur combined, the Droid X would likely be brought to its knees and the RAM and processor would be the problem.

The ability to actually shutdown running apps when we are done with them (with the ICS task ribbon or whatever it's called) could allow us to make better use of the RAM we do have. I think the biggest single problem with my phone is that it continually runs out of memory and subsequently stops and restarts apps, causing lags, wasting time, and wasting battey. I rarely have more than 50MB free and find that rebooting my phone periodically helps. 

Maybe with Google's influence, Motorola will finally realize that what we like about their products is the hardware, not the software. Then and only then will they release a vanilla Android experience like the Galaxy Nexus or the EncounterICS X without all the bloatware that bogs our processors, fills our RAM, and wastes our batteries. Otherwise, their next device might require a 5000ma battery to make it through the day.

Options

1941 Posts

08-11-2010

United States of America

863 Signins

14025 Page Views

• Message 5 of 8

2012-02-19, 15:23 PM

All fine points.  But if Verizon will not allow plain vanilla Android on their wireless network (except for the partially vanilla GNX) we will continue to experience the Motorola and VZW bloatware/crapware/junkware without root.

Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

5842 Signins

132780 Page Views

• Views: 132780
  • Message 6 of 8

2012-02-19, 17:20 PM

This is purely my opinion:

The Droid X is a VZW only phone - and based on when it came out, it is now getting a bit long in the tooth - in phone years. VZW, sees that early adopters are coming up to contract renewal time and they want a way to retain customers. Updating old phones is not the same as locking people into a 2 year contract.

From a business point of view, it makes more sense to push people to a new device with a new contract. This is what carriers do. And since carriers have to test and approve updates, it is easier and more effective for them not to update old phones.

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

1941 Posts

08-11-2010

United States of America

863 Signins

14025 Page Views

• Message 7 of 8

2012-02-20, 0:21 AM

AlphaDog said:

..... The Droid X is a VZW only phone - and based on when it came out, it is now getting a bit long in the tooth - in phone years. VZW, sees that early adopters are coming up to contract renewal time and they want a way to retain customers. Updating old phones is not the same as locking people into a 2 year contract.

From a business point of view, it makes more sense to push people to a new device with a new contract. This is what carriers do. And since carriers have to test and approve updates, it is easier and more effective for them not to update old phones.

"From a business point of view..." it would have been much smarter for both Verizon and Motorola to have not pi$$ed off so many Droid X users for the past nine months with the total lack of support due to the problems those companies caused with the Memorial Day 2011 Gingerbread update fiasco.

"Long in the tooth" or not, Droid X users who ran for the hills to buy HTC or Samsung phones in the interim because of the Motorola's absolute abandonment of their Droid X devices, Motorola's broken promises, and Motorola's lack of support, are probably going to be forever wary of dealing with Motorola again.  That's NOT good business sense.

Options

49 Posts

06-17-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 8 of 8

2012-02-24, 18:17 PM

f38urry said:

AlphaDog said:

..... The Droid X is a VZW only phone - and based on when it came out, it is now getting a bit long in the tooth - in phone years. VZW, sees that early adopters are coming up to contract renewal time and they want a way to retain customers. Updating old phones is not the same as locking people into a 2 year contract.

"From a business point of view..." it would have been much smarter for both Verizon and Motorola to have not pi$$ed off so many Droid X users for the past nine months with the total lack of support due to the problems those companies caused with the Memorial Day 2011 Gingerbread update fiasco.

"Long in the tooth" or not, Droid X users who ran for the hills to buy HTC or Samsung phones in the interim because of the Motorola's absolute abandonment of their Droid X devices, Motorola's broken promises, and Motorola's lack of support, are probably going to be forever wary of dealing with Motorola again.  That's NOT good business sense.

Actually, I've totally changed my mind about Motorola. They can come out with the best ever phone, one that cooks my dinner, cleans my clothes, paints my house, drives my car, and wipes my butt after you know what. And I still won't buy it. This fiasco with update 621 put me over the edge. A week ago I was loving my Droid X. Today I think it is a POS and can't wait for my  new phone to arrive.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms