Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
macrosmatic
What's DOS?
Views: 67
Message 1 of 5

More Yahoo problems

I'm really hoping someone can help me here. Stock Droid X (never rooted) with Android 2.3.4. A few months ago, the Yahoo! email I had set up with the stock email program stopped working. After doing some searching online, I deleted that account & added a stock Email IMAP account, and it was working fine. About a week ago, that one stopped working and I can't seem to get it restarted. I've deleted the account, rebooted the phone, tried to re-add...no joy. I've deleted all the Android/MotoBlur access info on my Yahoo account on the laptop. I've tried several different manual settings - the most recent was:

IMAP Mail server/imap.mail.yahoo.com/Port 993 with Secure Connection checked/Auto secure password setting/Verify certificate checked

smtp.mobile.mail.yahoo.com/Port 587 with Secure Connection UNchecked/Auto secure password/Authentication Auto/Verify certificate checked

It looks like it's going to work. It starts pulling emails onto the phone, but it stops at the ones from July 30 (about the time this whole thing started). None of the newer emails come onto the phone. And if I go to view one of the emails, it shows me the header info but the body is blank, and when I go back to the Inbox it's blank, and starts to download all the emails again...again stopping on the July 30 date.

Please help! I would rather not have to download the Yahoo app if I don't need to. I can log-in fine to the Yahoo account from my laptop. No recent password changes to the account, nothing has changed on the phone, this is happening OTA (not Wi-Fi...never use Wi-Fi).

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 2 of 5

Re: More Yahoo problems

I suggest using K-9 Email from the play store. I use it with my Yahoo acct without any problems. Hope this helps.

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.

macrosmatic
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 5

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll download & try it out.

Still, though...I would really like the stock application to work, or at least an explanation as to why it isn't working anymore...hoping someone has some insight. Thanks!

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 4 of 5

Remember that the default apps have always meant to be very basic functional apps. Although it should work with Yahoo, there have been problems with Yahoo. I do know that K-9 is much more comprehensive and has devs that update it and work on its functionality with a lot more effort than what Motorola can put into the default Email app.

Motorola's main concern is to make sure that the OS is working properly and to give some basic apps to have on the phone as default apps when you first turn on the phone. They are not the end all beat all apps.

The best way to have the best app for a particular purpose that you want on the phone is to install high quality apps from the Play Store. Now, not all apps on the Play Store are high quality. This is where getting recommendations or reading through the comments are a good way to find those high quality apps. Hope this helps.

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.

macrosmatic
What's DOS?
Message 5 of 5

Downloaded the K-9 Mail application - working like a charm. So that's great, and I appreciate the recommendation.

As for the rest of your post...it's an interesting POV. I've always been of the mind that the things the manufacturer says that a phone can do - it should do and do well. If they say it natitively supports Exchange functionality, then it should. If they say it supports IMAP Yahoo accounts, then it should & it should do it well. In this view, the downloaded applications serve to make the phone do things that the end-user might desire that the OEM never intended.

But perhaps this is a dated view from my days of the WinMo smart phones many many years ago...