Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ghiros
What's DOS?
Views: 1,369
Message 1 of 9

Phone suddenly died

Hello,

I am having an issue with my Droid. A few days ago I plugged it in to charge it overnight. In the morning my alarm went off and I grabbed the phone and unplugged it, but the screen remained dark.

I noticed that the device had gotten pretty warm.

Now the phone won't power on at all any more (no bootloader, no nothing), is not detected when connected to my computer and behaves generally like a paper weight.

The only activity is the little white LED next to the USB port when plugged in (to computer or charger).

The battery has a full charge and is running at 4.1V, so that does not seem to be the problem.

Does anybody have any advice or idea on what to do next?

Thanks!

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 2 of 9

Re: Phone suddenly died

Try plugging into a PC and letting it sit for a while to see if there are any other signs of life. Could potentially be a bad battery. Do you have another you could try?

*the search bar is your friend*
-This is a peer to peer support forum, MOTOXPRTs are volunteers, not Motorola employees
ghiros
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 9

I checked the battery with a volt meter and it seems good (4.1V). Unfortunately I don't have another one. 

Even though I'm not overly confident that anything will happen, I'll leave it plugged in for a while...

ghiros
What's DOS?
Message 4 of 9

So I got a different battery and the phone still doesn't work. However, when the phone is plugged in to charger and the battery is in, I can play around with it (take out battery, unplug and replug cord) and eventually it will turn on. However, the battery level says 10% (with either battery) and will not increase, not matter how long the phone is plugged in to the charger.

The phone works fine while plugged in, but as soon as I unplug it, it will turn off again.

Any ideas?

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 5 of 9

Are you using the original cable and charger? Wondering if there is a problem with the charger or cord? It could also be that there is a hardware problem with the phone.

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.

ghiros
What's DOS?
Message 6 of 9

No, it's not the original one. I picked up the one used and it was just as is. Could that really be the issue?

The behavior is just very strange and I was wondering if anybody else has seen anything like this before. Since I can get it to turn on now, maybe I'll try to factory reset it and see if that does anything...

Edit: The reset did not really change anything. As for cable and charger - I have tried several ones, just no geniune Motorola parts...

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 7 of 9

I have seen all kinds of really strange behavior on the phone that was caused by using a 3rd party charger or cord. I suggest that you get an original Moto charger and cord and try that. It doesn't necessarily have to be an original X charger and cord, but make sure it is a Moto cord and charger.

This should give you the best results to test whether it is hardware related or not. I also think that an FDR wouldn't hurt at all. Since you mentioned you might do one than I will back that decision 100%. Hope this helps.

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.

ghiros
What's DOS?
Message 8 of 9

Thank you for the advice. I will try to get a Motorola charger off eBay and see if that does anything.

It's so frustrating, because obviously the phone itself works, and it's just a bettery/power issues somehow...

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 9 of 9

I certainly hope that it works for you. It's been my pleasure to help.