Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vikingman11
What's DOS?
Views: 162
Message 1 of 11

Ringer and camera stopped working

I have a Droid X with Android version 2.3.4 (system version 4.5.621).  The phone ringer stopped working and I have to completely shut off the phone and turn it back on to get it to work, but then it will randomly stop working again.  Also, the camera will take a picture but when you go to the gallery the picture is not there and it just shows a generic icon.  I've done a factory reset on the phone twice and the issues keep coming back.  Please help!!

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 2 of 11

Re: Ringer and camera stopped working

Have you tried starting the phone in Safe mode? This will just veryify that there isn't a 3rd party app causing a problem.

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.

Khaos
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 11

I am having the same issues as well. I have not really found anything much on this. My phone started experiencing this after the 4.5.621 update. I am almost positive it isn't a 3rd party app, because it was right after the update and I hadn't had any problems before that. But thanks joelbon, I will try it. I will use safe mode to see and also do a factory reset with only their apps.

Highlighted
vikingman11
What's DOS?
Message 4 of 11

I can boot into safe mode but since the problem happens randomly I don't know what to do from there to see if a 3rd party app is the issue. Any suggestions?

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 5 of 11

That is a tough one to answer. Was there a certain amount of time it seemed to come back? Are we talking hours, days or weeks? If it is weeks than this may not be a viable way to tell. If it is days or hours than maybe you can just stick it out to find out.

Is there something that seemed to trigger it? Like maybe taking pictures or getting phone calls? Maybe going to the park and going on a picture shooting spree. I don't have a foolproof way to figure this out. Sorry.

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.

vikingman11
What's DOS?
Message 6 of 11

It happens randomly so keeping the phone in safe mode and waiting for it to happen isn't feasible.  Thanks for the suggestion though.

nbpga0469
What's DOS?
Message 7 of 11

ugggghhhh!! Same problem here with the photo issues.Cry I have recently took some important pics of my Grandfather, that just passed away, with my Droid X and when I went to view them and download to my computer there is nothing there but the generic "mountain icon" Hoping someone has an answer to this. I even bought a new 16GB sd card and tried that and same thing! I can have a radomn picture here and there that may take and can be viewed but the next picture I get the mountain! I did not notice this happening until after the update. I also installed Instagram on my DroidX and I took a couple of pics there with no problem....now they won't save and download on there either. I LOVE my DroidX and have always loved it for the good camera- but now I am just disappointed. Any help out there?

Khaos
What's DOS?
Message 8 of 11

It happens randomly. It is hard to keep it in safe mode for long periods of time. I am going to factory reset it and not install any apps other than what comes stock with it. I am sure it was that latest update, but what else I don't know. I did also notice yesterday I had issues connecting to a wifi network. When I connected to a free wifi from a nearby att store, which never gave me problems before, it would shut down ALL networks. NO calls, no internet, nothing! Plus my gps was VERY off. But when I got home, after having to restart it a few times, my home wifi was fine. gps worked fine again. I also noticed that after restarting sometimes it would lock up, on the slide to unlock screen. I have to do a battery pull after that. I am thinking I am just going to take it to the store and see what they can do there. Or least get me a phone that will work. I am very upset that I pay good money for a phone and it's special features only to not be able to use it.

sailorgirl
What's DOS?
Message 9 of 11

I have the EXACT same problem with my Droid X - ringer is silent even when it is supposed to ring and if you shut down and bring it back up it works for a while but then it is GONE again. ALSO - I have to shut down and bring it back up EVERY DAY in order to listen to my music...it tells me that it cannot "read" this type of file...my MP3's!!! So I shut down, bring it back up and it is fine for another day or so. But the worst thing is the camera - just does not work!  Takes the pic and if you try to find it, you just see that icon thingy everyone is talking about. Picture GONE.

This HAS to be a problem with the most recent upgrade, because my Mom and I both have the same phone and it started doing this to both of us around the same time. She barely has any apps and we use different ones, anyway, so there is no way it is a third party issue.

MOTOROLLA - PLEASE HELP!!!

Who can we contact about this??  I KNOW everyone is experiencing this and just isn't going online about it. I've been looking for a forum discussing this for a month now and JUST found this one, so for every one of me you just know there are zillions more.

I would get a new phone in a heartbeat, but still have a ways to go on my contract.

MBTA9058
What's DOS?
Message 10 of 11

YEP...me, too!   However, lucky for me, my upgrade is only 2 weeks away. I really like the Android Operating System and have been lamenting over whether or not to switch over to the iphone. Looks like the decision is a no brainer when I see the utter lack of tech support on this issue.

My kids all have iphones, whenever they have a problem, they just bring it into an Apple Store and get one on one support from a real person!