Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Older Devices ArchiveDROID X by Motorola
All Forum Topics
Options

233 Posts

08-18-2011

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 11 of 28

Re: VZW offering early upgrade to Bionic for $249

2011-09-27, 16:21 PM

Read this sites forum on the Bionic. It has many many bugs. Black screen of death, noise in headphone jack, etc. It's not perfecrt by a long shot.

Options

394 Posts

10-07-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 12 of 28

2011-09-27, 17:11 PM

I went to my local VZW store yesterday and played with the Bionic. It is actually a very nice device. Sure, Blur does a good job of making it look ugly, but once you get past that, it seems to work pretty well. I downloaded a couple of free games (Asphalt free, tanked) just to see how they played and they did pretty well. The screen was very nice, even though I did notice some pixeling which I gather is one of the problems with the qHD displays that Motorola uses. I wanted to install ADW launcher or Go Launcher but the Rep came in at that point and began to look over my shoulder.

Overall the phone felt extremely responsive, unlike my Droid X on most days. I'm sure that dual core processor and 1GB DDRAM had something to do with it. The design is also nice as well. It felt far more polished than my X. That said, given that I have my X themed with ADW EX, Fancy Widgets Pro, APW Widgets, Widgetsoid, and Widgetlocker, my phone looked much more aesthetically pleasing, of course that's not saying much given how poorly designed Blur is.

I have heard that there are some problems with some Droid Bionics, but others reviews have called it the best Android device on Verizon right now.

brucefan42,

I checked my VZW account and never got the upgrade option. I guess it's for the best, I might have pull the trigger, despite knowing that the Nexus Prime is just around the corner. A fully AOSP Android device, no OEM skins, fully unlockable and stock full of the new Ice Cream Sandwhich upgrade. On second thought, I probably wouldn't have. After owning the Droid X, with its ugly Blur skin, and locked/encrypted bootloader, I'm ready for a fully stock Android device that allows Android to be what it was meant to be.

Options

87 Posts

09-28-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 13 of 28

2011-09-27, 18:07 PM

I must be in the minority here. I like the look of Blur. The blue/white/green combo is very distinctive. I also like the 4 button dock. 3 button docks don't seem to be enough, and the 5 button styles of LauncherPro/Go Launcher seem crowded.

As for the Bionic, the qHD screen has gotten a real bad rap. Is it pixilated? A bit. But it is bright. Very bright. My mother's Fascinate, good as the screen looks, you can not see it in direct sunlight. The headset problem would be an absolute dealbreaker for me though.

As for locked bootloaders, I don't blame Motorola anymore. If you look at HTC, they all feature an unlockable solution...except the Verizon phones. I blame Verizon solely now for requiring locked and/or encrypted bootloaders. I don't think you will see a pure stock and open Android device on VZW. They will always have bloat and some sort of custom UI on top. To be fair, stock Android does have some limitations. The custom UIs do address some of the shortcomings. The problem with Blur, as probably stated just about everywhere, is that it tries to do too much. If you put a custom launcher on the phone, the Blur home is still running eating up valuable system resources. Same with the other stock apps. They are require Blur home. By having this 'nested' type of home, there is a lot of processing needed to do the basic functions...which leads to slower responce time. I do get why Moto chooses to do this though. I wish there was a better way to do it.

Options

394 Posts

10-07-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 14 of 28

2011-09-27, 19:56 PM

I've never been a fan. To tell you the truth I like HTC Sense's look a lot more, though I hate how bloated its gotten of late.

The Bionic screen is bright, and I do like it, but I did notice the pixelation every review talked about. It's a beautiful screen, no doubt, but it did bother me that it was one of the first things I noticed. I couldn't try it in direct sunlight because if I had, no doubt a verizon employee would have tackled me on my way out the door. ;P  I never liked the Samsung Fascinate, it came all Bing'ed up, and had problems from the get go, including poor support from Samsung.

I can't for the life of me understand why, given how poorly designed the Nexus S was, Google allowed Samsung to have a second shot with the Nexus Prime.

I don't blame Motorola for having a locked bootloader, i do however blame them for having made it almost impossible to unlock, thanks to their encryption. HTC and others brought phones with locked bootloaders to market prior to this year, like the Droid Incredible, but they were easy to unlock.

The Nexus Prime on Verizon will most likely be, if the blogs are to be believed, a Droid Prime, meaning it will come with all Google goodness, and Touchwiz. However, since it will be as close to a Google Experience phone as we are likely to get on Verizon, that should not be too difficult to remove.

I agree with you that custom UIs address some stock Android shortcomings, but that is what the app store is for. You can find an app for almost anything you want in the market, and thanks to 3rd party launchers, we can also have scrollable widgets for anything we desire.

You are right that Blur tries to do too much. My main problem with them is that they do so poorly. They take stock Android features away and replace them with subpar Blur counterparts and that bugs me greatly. I mean, if you are going to add a custom UI on top of Android, make sure you make Android better and that you are not screwing with the experience for the worse.

Options

2011-10-19, 2:46 AM
However, if you log into My Verizon, go to the main home page, click  on Droid Bionic by Motorola, click on Learn More it should take you to a  page where you can buy it with current two year pricing (without  logging in, it's $299).

i just logged into my verzion and clicked on the bionic-it's still listed as $299 with no mention of a $249 early upgrade what so ever. 

Options

4366 Posts

09-08-2010

United States

2 Signins

19 Page Views

• Views: 19
  • Message 16 of 28

2011-10-19, 15:02 PM

bioman wrote:

However, if you log into My Verizon, go to the main home page, click  on Droid Bionic by Motorola, click on Learn More it should take you to a  page where you can buy it with current two year pricing (without  logging in, it's $299).

i just logged into my verzion and clicked on the bionic-it's still listed as $299 with no mention of a $249 early upgrade what so ever. 

I would take a look at the Droid Razr before going to a Bionic.

No offense to bionic owners, but the razr appears to outclass it in significant ways.

However, with the release of the Razr, bionic prices can be expected to fall.

Options

418 Posts

06-04-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 17 of 28

2011-10-19, 16:00 PM

For anyone with a BJ's nearby, they have the Bionic for $99, PLUS a bunch of accessories with it.

JBass wrote:

bioman wrote:

No offense to bionic owners, but the razr appears to outclass it in significant ways.

However, with the release of the Razr, bionic prices can be expected to fall.

Options

49 Posts

06-17-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 18 of 28

2011-10-19, 16:51 PM

bioman wrote:

I posted this 5 weeks ago. Can't help what you are seeing on your verizon at this point. FWIW, mine is still showing $249 and I'm not due for an upgrade until next year.

Options

4366 Posts

09-08-2010

United States

2 Signins

19 Page Views

• Views: 19
  • Message 19 of 28

2011-10-20, 2:47 AM

brucefan42 wrote:

I posted this 5 weeks ago. Can't help what you are seeing on your verizon at this point. FWIW, mine is still showing $249 and I'm not due for an upgrade until next year.

Everything you type, can and will be used against you in a court of law...

Verizon offered me an early upgrade months ago (and months early).

If I remember correctly (highly unlikely), it cost $20 to get the 2yr upgrade price.

You have to call them to get the best deal.

Options

2011-10-20, 5:32 AM

there are actually no significant advances with the razr.    will any one notice a .2 faster processor?  no.

i actually have the bionic, and would not prefer to trade for a phone with a non removable battery and an amoled screen that sucks it dry.  the kevlar back is nothing more than a useless marketing ploy.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms