Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Older Devices ArchiveDROID X by Motorola
All Forum Topics
Options

111 Posts

05-05-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 1 of 46

You guys here have me concerned.

2011-09-01, 19:53 PM

Getting ready to buy a used X, and have been reading the posts.  Now, I'm sure, (I hope) what's going on is the exception, or is it?  Are there major GB/update problems with the X?

Feedback would be welcome.

Answer
Options

111 Posts

05-05-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

Re: You guys here have me concerned.

2011-09-09, 19:57 PM

Thanks everyone for the really interesting comments.  I can tell some of you have deep wounds.

All that being said, I did pick up a used X, at a very good price, and after a week of use, found it to be absolutely wonderful. 

guess I'm just lucky?

Replies(45)
Options

507 Posts

08-01-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 2 of 46

2011-09-01, 19:57 PM

Do your research before you make the purchase.

I would recommend the Droid Incredible 2.

Options

58 Posts

08-13-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 3 of 46

2011-09-01, 20:24 PM

I think you'll find it's not the exception. But I have no hard evidence of that.

I would look elsewhere, if I were you. Like CoronaDoug said, the DInc2 is a good choice - my wife has one and she has not problems with it at all.

Options

394 Posts

10-07-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 4 of 46

2011-09-01, 20:29 PM

It really depends. The first Gingerbread update was a mixed bag for us users. While some reported that everything went smoothly, a huge chunk of us have had nothing but problems since it was released. Motorola issued a second update about 3-4 wks ago, but never told us what it was that the update was supposed to address. We still don't know, other than the vague comment by the Forum Manager that it was an important issue. The Forum Manager is not really helpful with the important stuff, for the most part he's limited to what Corp tells him to do and nothing else. So we get very little information here. The problems persist for those of us who have been affected but as of yet we have no information from Motorola as to when we can expect any sort of help from them in the form of a bug fix, or anything. Verizon's support forum seems to be better as they at least have acknowledged that there are problems, and that they are working on a fix, but as of yet no timeline has been given.

Many of the problems in the link above persist for us, and there is no clear pattern as to who has been affected. Some users were previously rooted, but many where running the stock Blur as it came when they first got their phones, unrooted, and all. The severity of the affliction also varies, while some users have had a mild amount of issues, some have had their phones end up virtually unusable. Many good and loyal customers, including the guy who compiled that problem list, decided to jump ship to other manufacturers, be it HTC and their Droid Incredible 2 as CoronaDoug has suggested, or LG, or Samsung, if not, directly to Apple's iPhone. 

I would say, it depends on how much you are planning to pay for the used Droid X. This is particularly true given the fact that Verizon is about to release a bunch of new phones, likely with steep discounts for those that are eligible for their last "new every two" updates (which has now been discontinued). If you are one of those people, you can probably get a new Motorola Droid Bionic for $200 + a 2yr contract. Alternatively, HTC is rumored to be releasing a few high end phones soon, and Samsung is apparently planning on releasing their Droid Prime (Nexus Prime for Verizon), which is supposed to be stock Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0). As CoronaDoug said, ultimately, you should do your research and decide.

Given my current problems with the Droid X, I could not recommend it to you. Maybe if I knew when an update was coming, I'd feel better about it, but since we're in a bit of a limbo, I can't say, get it, and Moto will fix the problem soon. Good luck, though!

Options

7 Posts

06-30-2011

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 5 of 46

2011-09-01, 22:09 PM

I would stay away from the X (and especially a used one).  I am currently suffering with mine until I find the right thing to replace it.  There are so many new and exciting phones on the horizon.

Options

85 Posts

07-29-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 6 of 46

2011-09-02, 4:44 AM

Do more research and read forums for other top of the line phones first.  While they all have their problems, the Droid X on Gingerbread will leave you wanting to do terrible things to it.

If my Droid X was exactly the same as the day I bought it, I'd be the first to tell you to buy one today.  Sadly, it is not.  Other phones might work better on Gingerbread so please do dilligent research and read the forums!  Find one that does not have the issues the Droid X does.

But do not buy a Droid X.

That's my advice.

Options

15438 Posts

02-04-2016

United States of America

260 Signins

3971 Page Views

• Views: 3971
  • Message 7 of 46

2011-09-02, 5:58 AM

My wife is using the Droid X and has no real problems with it. My Sister and her husband are in the same boat. There are some issues here and there, but it really isn't that bad. I am not saying this to get you to buy a used X, but to let you know that there are people that don't have a lot of problems with it.

There are some serious problems that I have seen right here in this community. I also will not and cannot tell you when or if there is an update coming. Motorola is very tight lipped when it comes to this information. It would really be nice if they were a little more open on the release of update information. It is what it is and at the present time this is what we have.

I do believe that there will be an update to fix these issues. That is just my opinion though.

I don't want to tell you either way on what I think that you should do, because I have seen a lot of problems after Gingerbread was released. I did want you to be aware that there are a lot of people, though, that don't have any major problems. Hope this helps.

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.

Options

1941 Posts

08-11-2010

United States of America

863 Signins

14025 Page Views

• Views: 14025
  • Message 8 of 46

2011-09-02, 10:32 AM

I concur with joelbon.  My Droid X has never had real problems, even though there have been some annoyances with it since the Gingerbread update.  It's still a great phone.

That aside, if you are thinking about buying a used anything, consider why the seller is selling it.  Buyer beware.

Options

201 Posts

12-12-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 9 of 46

2011-09-02, 10:51 AM

GB has probably gotten a bad rap. Froyo caused issues too. All updates cause issues. Apps are the biggest issue with the software on the X. GB created about a dozen bugs on my phone, but as apps have been updating, the bugs have slowly gone away.

Overall, I think the X is a good phone. It's the software and how it coexists with apps.

Options

201 Posts

12-12-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 10 of 46

2011-09-02, 11:03 AM

joelbon, I am sure your intentions to assist folks are sincere. But honestly, do you own stock in Moto or work for Moto? You have an attitude that is so pro-Moto, I tend to tune you out. It blew me away that you (almost) admitted that there have been plenty of issues with the X.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms