Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MB-Tuner
What's DOS?
Views: 3,770
Message 1 of 6

Boycott

I saw a call for a boycott of Motorola over at a different forum that I won't name, but the initials rhyme with ecks, dee, yay 

They think that this is necessary to help Moto rethink the locked bootloader thing. It seems like lots of people are really 

enjoying Android upgrades but we can't only because Moto is blocking this, for no apparent reason.  

It wasn't enough for them to cut off their upgrade development for this phone after less than a year but why must they

keep me from enjoying my own device? I'll never get stuck by Motorola on a Verizon contract again. I pay, upgrades pass me by. 

I bought into Android for the anti-IOS reasons that many did. I could get a better lockdown experience at I-phone. 

I hate to see Moto get hurt but they seem to be slow learners.

I won't even buy an unlocked Moto product again as long as they keep my Droid Xs & Droid x2s locked down. 

An Asus Infinity tablet will be my next purchase. My new Samsung laptop has nearly replaced my smartphone anyway. 

DansDroid Moto Emeritus
Moto Emeritus
Message 2 of 6

Re: Boycott

Since Google's acquisition of Motorola Mobility I think you will see a trend for less restrictions in some form or the other on our phones.  That said, I personally don't think they will retroactively offer unlocked boot loaders on some of the older devices.   --- Dan

MB-Tuner
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 6

They could. 

They should. 

Why won't they?

Are they trying to get rid of pesky customers who buy high end devices?

Or just alienate the developer community & enthusiast amateurs like me. 

The last OTA update on the Droid Xs prevents a different ROM from being installed, a farewell kiss from Moto. Not too classy. 

It's a mystery why they'd treat their best customers like this. 

I don't think they'll fix this either.

DansDroid Moto Emeritus
Moto Emeritus
Message 4 of 6

mbtuner2 said:

They could. 

They should. 

Why won't they?

Are they trying to get rid of pesky customers who buy high end devices?

Or just alienate the developer community & enthusiast amateurs like me. 

The last OTA update on the Droid Xs prevents a different ROM from being installed, a farewell kiss from Moto. Not too classy. 

It's a mystery why they'd treat their best customers like this. 

I don't think they'll fix this either.

View original

I think that only the corporate people know the answers to the questions you are posing.  I *do* believe that Google/Motorola will be heading in a more satisfying direction for their customers in the future.    --- Dan

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 5 of 6

Another thing to think about is that Motorola has always said they would unlock the bootloader with carrier approval. That has been the problem all along. Verizon doesn't want the bootloaders unlocked.

Dan is also right that now that Google has more control that there might be a change. Google will have much more sway with Verizon than Motorola does. We should wait and see what happens in the next year. Change doesn't happen overnight.

My last point is that it is hard to get people to move away from Motorola because of the build quality and reliability of their radios. Motorola, IMHO, has the best devices in the US. When that is the case than people tend to put up with some irritants to have that device. I have owned other makes and I don't want to own anything other than Motorola.

This is, of course, just my opinion.

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.

MB-Tuner
What's DOS?
Message 6 of 6

My radio was better on my dumb phone. My headphone jack is broken on my wife's x2 and on my x2. The software is still buggy. Moto used to be better. Now it's just another Chinese phone with a locked down fatal flaw. I think I'll try Korean hardware next. At least they're our allies.