Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TechLawyer
What's DOS?
Views: 138
Message 1 of 10

Catch 22 - Is it the App or the Firmware/Hardware of the Phone

I have been experiencing a problem using the GPS on my Droid X2 for walking/running activites due to wildly inaccurate results.  (See thread https://forums.motorola.com/posts/eaab253eec). This functionality with the same apps (Google's My Tracks, Cardio Trainer, Runkeeper) worked correctly with my previous phone, a Droid X.  I have attempted to report this problem to Verizon and Motorola, but because the apps were not preloaded on the phone, they say I have to contact the app developer and Verizon/Motorola are not responsbile for the problem.  However, the apps on other android phones including other Motorola Phones.  The functionality of getting your pace and seeing a "track" of your run is not available on a "stock" app, so there is no way to prove that the flaw is in Motorola's firmware/hardware, by the current standards that Verizon/Motorola are using.  By normal troubleshooting standards when you can show the functionality works with other hardware and duplicate the problem using multiple applications, the problem is in the one consistent item, which in this case, is the Droid X2.

I would like to know what suggestions people have for getting this problem resolved and in terms of the bigger picture, suggestions on to resolve the support conflict with apps that were not preloaded on the phone.  I understand that Motorola cannot troubleshoot ever app in the market, but on the other hand, when a specific type of functionality does not work with a specific phone, across multiple successful apps which work on other phone, Motorola should take ownership of the problem.

Any thoughtful suggestions that I can try will be followed up, and yes I did talk to second level support at both Verizon and Motorola. 

Administrator
Administrator
Message 2 of 10

Re: Catch 22 - Is it the App or the Firmware/Hardware of the Phone

If it is indeed only Droid X2 that has this issue, I take your point. I want to see if I can confirm this but it will take some time as I need to activate a Droid X2, etc., and give it a try.

Anyone else use any of these apps on DX2 with similar issues? Your other thread didn't seem to uncover others with this issue. (Maybe I can ask some owners in the MOTOACTV community.)

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
grgguy
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 10

Iam signed up for Google Latitude ,in that app they have a setting where they keep track of me (phone )all day. Well Icant speak of the accuracy whileI'm on the road howeever at night when I'm home I check it and the phone (gps) will have sometimes morethan a mile from home and it has me bouncing all over the area I live in . Its almost comical . other than that I havent had problems with the gps that I know of 

bigheadedderp
What's DOS?
Message 4 of 10

Having never tried this on another phone, I thought it was just a limitation and never gave it a second thought.  I had Run Keeper Pro, and it had me running at 22 mph.  I thought "Damn I'm awesome!"  but then I realized that it had 3 mile loop look completely sawtooth and actually told me I had run somewhere around 12 miles (Yeah, I can do the NYC marathon in just over an hour).  It even had me running over water.  I have a clear view of the sky and I was only running on nice days.  Luckily for driving it keeps me on the road.

With my multiple returns and innumerable problems with all of the X2 models I've had, it is absurd to think that this phone design is not defective.  I can only assume there is an incompatability between components of the hardware or hugely flawed firmware.  I have friends with HTC's and Samsungs, no one has problems like this so that rules out Android, too.  So if it's not the OS, it's not the carrier, it's not the app, and it's not the user, it must be the .......

grgguy
What's DOS?
Message 5 of 10

I agree with you 100% . This phone should have never been brought to market. There areway to many flaws in the software and the kernal . Custom firmware is our only hope as it seems Motorola is far to busy developing new flawed phones (we can only hope that google will put an end to this ). In the mean time go in settings / location $ security/ then uncheck Verizon and Goolgle and try stand alone GPS . I  think phone relys on the cell signal to locate itself by default .  

TechLawyer
What's DOS?
Message 6 of 10

@Matt, thank you for looking into this. Searching the net generally, I did find a few postings on other forums, but was surprised more people weren't complaining, which is why when it initially happened, I thought it was device and not model specific. When the second Droid X2 exhibited the same behavior, I thought it had to be hardware/firmware.  I am glad to see some other people are posting about the issue.  I have noticed the Droid X2 forum does not get the same volume of postings as the Droid X forum did.

@grgguy - I have tried it with google/verizon location settings disabled and got the same results on the "sawtooth" or "zig-zag" tracking. Hopefully by sharing our experiences it will help Motorola track down and fix our issues.

jason_droid
What's DOS?
Message 7 of 10

Download Z-DeviceTest from the Android Market and do a GPS accuracy test. That will tell you if your hardware is bad. Mine tested within 32-50 meters, which isn't too bad. It does seem to jump around, though mine doesn't jump as drastically as yours does. Once you've logged the data (let it run for 10-15 minutes or more), let us know the results.
JBass
Bit Torrent
Message 8 of 10

It is not unusual for certain apps to be incompatible with certain phones.

Look at the comments prior to installing and/or add your comments so that others can avoid your negative experience with this combination.

Also, gps requires a clear view of the sky, lacking that, it will be wildly inaccurate. Tall buildings and clusters of trees really drove the gps in the vette crazy.

Best of luck...

TechLawyer
What's DOS?
Message 9 of 10

Matt (Forums Manager) said:

If it is indeed only Droid X2 that has this issue, I take your point. I want to see if I can confirm this but it will take some time as I need to activate a Droid X2, etc., and give it a try.

Anyone else use any of these apps on DX2 with similar issues? Your other thread didn't seem to uncover others with this issue. (Maybe I can ask some owners in the MOTOACTV community.)

@Matt, just following up. Were you able to replicate the issue for your engineers or able to use a GPS running/walking app that worked correctly to disprove the contention that the Droid X2 is to blame?  I know you said it would take awhile, but I have not heard anything since your post on 1/31/12 and it would be nice to get an update on your progress.

TechLawyer
What's DOS?
Message 10 of 10

Matt (Forums Manager) said:

Since it has been another month, I was checking back for progress. Unfortunately, I only seem to see activity in addressing issues with the newer phones/devices, ie. Razr/Motoactv. As someone who is about to pick new phone models for a number of users, I am not sure if Moto will make the list of possible devices. It would be one thing to be told that the issues with the Droid X and Droid X2 would not be addressed for the following reasons, its another to be told they will be addressed and then you patiently wait, only to never get an update on where things stand.

Additionally, Motorola's decision (not Verizon's, since HTC has unlocked numerous Verizon devices) to not unlock the bootloader and share their proprietary drivers, so that the Android Development community would be able to support the devices that Moto has choosen to stop supporting is another reason to select a different manufacturer going forward.

I have been pleased with the physical build quality of the devices and Moto is second to none in voice call quality, which is still one of the primary uses of the phone.  I have done my best to assist in the troubleshooting process and provide useful feedback, but felt the need to express my dissapointment.