cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lucentshadow
What's DOS?
Views: 7,930
Message 1 of 19

DROID X2 won't stop rebooting (can't use phone)

My Droid X2 keeps rebooting and crashing over and over. When I get past the lock screen it says. com.motorola.service.main has stopped responding or something similar to that, then it cycles through every other app saying they all crashed and the phone then reboots. I did not install anything prior to this and it was completely random...I am currently unable to use my phone right now since it will not stop rebooting. I have pulled out the battery and SD card to no avail.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 2 of 19

Re: DROID X2 won't stop rebooting (can't use phone)

You need to Factory data reset from the recovery console. Here is a guide that will get you to the Recovery console. That guide is to do a wipe cache partition, but one option above the wipe cache partition is a wipe data/factory reset, or similar wording, and that is what I want you to do. This should bring the phone back to out of the box state and get you going again.

You may have to activate the phone again. You will also have to install all your apps and set things back up. Sorry for the problems and I hope this works out well for you.

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.

lucentshadow
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 19

While this answers my question, this seems unacceptable for a production model phone from a major company. I should not have to do a factory data reset just to have my phone in working condition, especially not after the gingerbread update that supposedly patched a lot of bugs. What is Motorola doing to fix these issues?

photomaster1
What's DOS?
Message 4 of 19

Factory resets don't FIX anything. After 30 of them, it's obviously an easy bail out answer. It fixes things for a period of days, if you are lucky. Minutes if you are not lucky. What is Motorola doing to fix the problems? Nothing that anyone at the forums has been able to identify!

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 5 of 19

Why is it that factory resets don't fix anything? When the OP is having constant bootloops and the phone is completely unusable, you say that a factory data reset doesn't fix that? How is that possibly even helpful? Can you please tell me how to fix a phone that is bootlooping without doing a reset?

I understand that you maybe a little annoyed at problems you are having with your phone, but why would you bother to rant like this in a thread where someone really does need help and the ONLY thing that will help them at this moment in time is a factory data reset. If there is another way than please enlighten me.

Oh, wait a minute, Factory resets don't FIX anything.

photomaster wrote:

Factory resets don't FIX anything. After 30 of them, it's obviously an easy bail out answer. It fixes things for a period of days, if you are lucky. Minutes if you are not lucky. What is Motorola doing to fix the problems? Nothing that anyone at the forums has been able to identify!

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 6 of 19

Sorry, I got off track for a moment. You are right that these problems shouldn't happen and it would be really nice if they never happened. Unfortunately, these phones are not perfect and something bad happened to cause the bootlooping. That is something that can only be fixed with a factory data reset.

I wish that these things didn't happen and I do hope that they are working on the problems that this phone does have. I do have confidence that they are. Motorola doesn't release information on what is or isn't being worked on. We just have to wait til they announce that they are updating the phone.

I am sorry that you have no choice in doing a reset, but it should get you up and running again. Hope this helps.

Calvin Shih wrote:

While this answers my question, this seems unacceptable for a production model phone from a major company. I should not have to do a factory data reset just to have my phone in working condition, especially not after the gingerbread update that supposedly patched a lot of bugs. What is Motorola doing to fix these issues?

photomaster1
What's DOS?
Message 7 of 19

I truly hope for Calvin's sake, that this does FIX the problem and not just band-aid it temporarily. In all honesty, however, I've seen this before and only a replacement has actually fixed this problem. To be completely honest, I have yet to see any case where a factory reset has done anything more, than to give a day or two reprieve on any problem. I appreciate your faith in Motorola, but Motorola needs to think about the consumer a little bit more.

My comments were not a rant, but a statement of what I have seen first hand and through the experiences of others. Now if Motorola would like to prove me wrong by fixing a problem or two, I'll make a full apology. Until then, however, I stand by my comment. If you had to reinstall your OS on your computer every time the computer malfunctioned, you'd buy a competitors computer.

mitchiru
What's DOS?
Message 8 of 19

Super! the link to the factory reset is gone.

My phone is just non stop rebooting, i only see the m logo, and then it is gone.

DansDroid Moto Emeritus
Moto Emeritus
Message 9 of 19

null

Super! the link to the factory reset is gone.

My phone is just non stop rebooting, i only see the m logo, and then it is gone.

View original

Hello.  If a system file is corrupted you may ultimately have to flash a new OS; however, you need to try to enter recovery mode and then use the ALTERNATE method described in this link to perform a factory data reset on your phone.  Please leave us feedback, I wish you the best.   --- Dan

mitchiru
What's DOS?
Message 10 of 19

Doesnt help.

The battery is so low, every time the device gained some battery it tries to start and this fails. so it turns off again and will not respond to the power button.