cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bigheadedderp
What's DOS?
Views: 79
Message 1 of 4

Did a third party launcher fix most of my troubles?

Most of us know the deal.  The X2 is glitchy.  I've been getting exhausted dealing with the:

screen which doesn't turn on

random reboots

skipping music

disconnecting from the bluetooth headset

I got so frustrated, that last week I did a factory reset (for the 3rd time on my 3rd X2, so I've started fresh 5 times already).  Did it help?  No, not even a little.  I wanted to get a widget for my WidgetLocker Lock screen to display unread email (There are painfully few of these).  I saw one from Go Developers, downloaded it.  It said that i needed Go Launcher EX to run this, ok fine, install that too.  OOOOOOOH, i was pissed!  Apps gone!  Widgets gone!  Direct dial icons gone!  My entire home screen wiped!  And the email widget sucked (wound up going with K9, small text but does exactly what I want)!  I didn't have time to mess with the phone, so I left it.  So now it's been two days.  No reboots.  The screen fails to initiate maybe 1/10 times now instead of every other time.  It has not disconnected my bluetooth.  My music runs fine (even when streaming over google music).  And to boot, the customization allowed by Go Launcher is awesome.  It's as smooth as butter!

Did this fix my phone?  Is it finally usable?  Is it too soon to tell?  Can it be something so simple that Moto has overlooked in their launcher (which I was completely naive about this entire level of cusomization until two days ago)?  If so, it's sad.  This is the first time I've been truly happy with my phone since I unboxed it the day it was released.

Bolski
What's DOS?
Message 2 of 4

Re: Did a third party launcher fix most of my troubles?

No, as great as GoLauncher is, music still skips. I haven't had the screen not turning on issue, but I have had some reboots even with GoLauncherEX.

bigheadedderp
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 4

Doh!  Ok, the restarts continue.  But I still consider this a win.  My screen actually turns on when I hit the top button or the home button.  It even comes on when my phone rings.  Coming closer to standard functionality is what has made me happy.

dabbb
What's DOS?
Message 4 of 4

When you consider how bad Moto's launcher is, and how third party could fix that, imagine what a mess the Linux kernel on the device (which is severely outdated) must be. If only we could load a third-party kernel....