Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
geeknik
What's DOS?
Views: 252
Message 1 of 21

Droid X2 restarts randomly

So I bought a Droid X2 from Verizon right after it launched, upgrading from the original Droid X because I thought a dual core Droid X would be awesome. It's not. I just received a replacement from Verizon on Monday of this week (12/5/2011) because it was randomly restarting. I would check my email, set it down, and the next thing I know, I'm hearing the Droid boot sound and it was restarting. So Verizon replaced it. I thought maybe it was the 3rd party launcher or all of the apps, or the fact that I rooted it, however, 24 hours after received the "certified like new replacement" the same problem is back. I'm using the stock launcher and it is not rooted. I check my email or send a text messages and about half the time, it restarts.  Now Verizon is telling me that both Google and Motorola recommend turning the phone off from time to time. I call BS. I had an OG Droid stock with no problems, left it on 24/7 for a year. And then I rooted it and put CM on it and left it on 24/7 and never had a problem with it. (Also my girlfriend had an OG Droid longer than me and never had problems and now has a Droid 3 with zero problems.) Heck, I never had a problem with the original Droid X either, in fact, my mom is currently using it with zero problems and she is not a technical person. Anyways, I need to know if I should turn this phone off once an hour to keep it from restarting on it's own. I shouldn't have to do that. I have linux computers in my house that haven't rebooted in over 700 days. The company I work for has linux machines that have been on for over 1500 days. =) Linux should never have to be restarted unless it's a full on software update.

howardm1
Punch Card
Message 2 of 21

Re: Droid X2 restarts randomly

I agree that this random restart issue needs to be fixed.   I am having random restarts ("Droid") about once a day.    The latest this morning when I pushed the power button to wake up the screen (notification was flashing).

Is there some sort of crash dump log app that Motorola could provide for us to collect debug data on this issue?

jason_droid
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 21

I can honestly say that I don't have this issue. I bought mine toward the end of May 2011. I sent it in to Motorola once because my screen went bad (touch input went crazy). I didn't want a refurb. phone a month after I bought mine brand new, so I opted not to have Verizon replace my phone with their hit-or-miss phones.

Download Elixir 2 and look at the logcat logs. Otherwise, you'll need the Android SDK which contains ADB.

Unfortunately, unless you can prevent or temporarily interrupt the restart, chances are slim that you'll see anything. If you could continuously output the logcat to a file, that might work (with a size limit).

geeknik
What's DOS?
Message 4 of 21

Verizon has informed me, as of last week, that they are waiting on a software update from Motorola which will correct the 'restart' issue and they are no longer sending out replacement Droid X2s for this issue until after the update comes out.

tutva
What's DOS?
Message 5 of 21

Thanks for the update!

Hopefully they'll get it right this time and it won't be an issue anymore.  Other than this, I really like the phone.

jason_droid
What's DOS?
Message 6 of 21

I'm going to eat my words. Mine restarted while using the browser early this morning. However, my phone still seems more stable than others. I've had my phone on for 5 days at one point without a restart.

It's that Froyo based kernel, I think. Why are we on 2.6.32.9 again? I guess Motorola figured it'd save time to give us X2 owners the same kernel as the X, and we know the X has the same problems with Gingerbread on this kernel.

2.6.35+ or bust Moto.

geeknik
What's DOS?
Message 7 of 21

I hope Motorola fixes this for you guys, but I've upgraded to a Galaxy Nexus so that I can leave these problems behind.

lgwhitlock
What's DOS?
Message 8 of 21

You are not the only one to experience the problem.  Somewhere I read that this phone has a problem if not restarted after being charged or hooked to a computer.  They suggested using one of the programs that can look for these types of events and set it to automatically restart.  I manually have tried this and it seems to work.  However I still run into the problem from time to time (less than once ever 2 months).  The bigger issue for me is when the phone will not turn on though the LED is blinking letting me know I have email and such.  Just a black screen and nothing with the buttons will fix it.  For me the only fix is removing the battery for at least a minute and the putting it back in and restarting the phone which will then run quite nicely for a few weeks before having issues again.  It gets annoying to say the least.

ImRich
What's DOS?
Message 9 of 21

Mine has been doing this also. I can't find any pattern to it.

Sometimes I'm in my car, the phone is not connected or doing anything, and it simply reboots it self.

Other times a call comes in, the phone does one half of a ring and then it reboots.

I've been hoping there is a solution. I guess I'll have to try to contact Verizon for a replacement again on this?

strifejester
What's DOS?
Message 10 of 21

Getting multiple replacements won't help.  I have had this phone since shortly after release and have ahd it replaced the latest update caused more problems than it fixed.  Placing on the dock will cause reboots incoming calls cause reboots.  The phone itself is great but BLUR is causing this thing to crash constantly and honestly Motorola seems to be ignoring it.  I hd a custom ROM on the phone for a while that took care of most of it but I had data roaming issues after that so I went back to stock after a few months.  Data roaming issues or not I am about ready to go back to a ROM because having your phone reboot at least twice a day is ridiculous. If Motorola would follow suit and unlock their devices like HTC perhaps we could some developers in the create kernels that work. Instead of trying to make some of the phones that are already out there actually work Motorola is too interested in rolling out new devices.