Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
weedydragon
Paper Tape
Views: 123
Message 11 of 21

Re: Droid X2 restarts randomly

So, there seems to be no answer to this problem!  I can't believe it.  I have the same problem.  Motorola should at least address the problem, solution or not.

jason_droid
What's DOS?
Message 12 of 21

The only solution for now is to do the r-word and freeze apps - many restarts are OOM (out of memory related). I can supply a very nice build.prop to anyone who asks (increases stability and improves performance; made it myself; does NOT change any HW/SW identifying lines), even to Motorola engineers who seem to want to keep this phone crippled. This is a peer-to-peer forum, and if we can't get support from Motorola, then we have to do it ourselves. The frustration is mounting.

Loosen your vice-grip Motorola. These are OUR phones, not yours.
kaylward
What's DOS?
Message 13 of 21

I can say that changing devices made a big difference for me.  My first DX2 (a replacement for a broken DX) rebooted or froze 10 times a day.  Went through all the troubleshooting steps, SafeMode, FDR, etc. no change.  Sent the device back for a replacement and the new DX2 doesn't do that at all.  I've had maybe one or two random reboots in the last month, but nothing like before. 

dkmortensen
What's DOS?
Message 14 of 21

I've been having this problem as well at least since the 2.3.4 update was released, maybe before. I thought it seemed to happen more often when I used a flashlight app that enabled/disabled the LED on demand (often times the camera app would completely to refuse after using an LED flashlight app until I rebooted my phone, and it seemed like it would reboot itself more often anyway on days where I used the LED light flashlight apps).

So I uninstalled about 10-15 apps from my phone that I felt like I really didn't use that often. I also swapped out the LED Flashlight app for another, both of which were super-popular & raved about in the android market as being awesome, compatable, stable, etc. My phone would still reboot randomly (about 1-4 times per week) (still it seemed this happened more often on days that I used an LED flashlight app). So then I completely uninstalled all Apps that enable/disable the LED. Still the phone reboots randomly 1-3 times per week.

Ugh.

hguilfoy1
What's DOS?
Message 15 of 21

Hey Matt or Mark,

Are you still monitoring this forum? Is anyone working on this?

ImRich
What's DOS?
Message 16 of 21

Well, I finally did get a replacement DX2. Not only was I getting a lot of random reboots, but a lot of other things was not working properly (GPS, etc).

Now that I have a replacement, the other things are working better (GPS will work without having to reboot the phone), but I do still have the random reboots.

Mostly they seem to occur when I swype to unlock the phone.... then POOF, it reboots.

Sometimes it happens as a the phone rings.

Other times it's just a random reboot during the day.

I wonder if there is a memory leak... I'm not sure how to check for that without development tools (which I don't have).

WDMARKPC
What's DOS?
Message 17 of 21

Small comfort that I'm not alone.  I've had Droid X2 since June 2011 and it has the Gingerbread update. I get Random Restarts once or twice a day.  Often it is when I've activated the camera (which I don't do daily), but happens at other random times, like after attempting to initiate a call (I have Google Voice on the phone...and set to "Ask Every time" whether to use my cell # or Google Voice number before dialing.  Would love to see this fixed...as it sounds like a Motorola problem.  At least that now makes it a Google Problem.  Otherwise, I've been happy with the phone...my first Smartphone as I like the HDMI port and screen size & 2 core processor.

DeusExDatum
Paper Tape
Message 18 of 21

I started with the very first Droid, upgraded to the DX, and then the DX2 (I really wanted that Tegra 2), and I can honestly say that I have noticed some form of the reboot problem on all three, ever since the Froyo updates, so my gut feel is OS bug. And that goes for the blank screen / won't wake issue also. My DX was the most notorious, rebooting multiple times a day, but even my DX2 does it 2-3 times a week. Normally, my Dx2 does it when there's already alot running, and I start something that initializes a hardware resource (camera, GPS, etc) or the media storage (music). That being said, I have also discovered that when reboot are getting more frequent than I would like, a format of the cache partition through Android Recovery will make them stop for a while, then slowly start happening again, then we are back up to way too frequent again, and I format cache again. Make me think there is some kind of log growing, and it finally hits a Max size and starts crashing the kernel at a certain point. Just my 2-cents, but the cache format makes it more bearable until there is a permanent fix, or I upgrade to a Razor MAXX. :-)
mojorizen
What's DOS?
Message 19 of 21

DeusExDatum said:

I started with the very first Droid, upgraded to the DX, and then the DX2 (I really wanted that Tegra 2), and I can honestly say that I have noticed some form of the reboot problem on all three, ever since the Froyo updates, so my gut feel is OS bug. And that goes for the blank screen / won't wake issue also. My DX was the most notorious, rebooting multiple times a day, but even my DX2 does it 2-3 times a week. Normally, my Dx2 does it when there's already alot running, and I start something that initializes a hardware resource (camera, GPS, etc) or the media storage (music). That being said, I have also discovered that when reboot are getting more frequent than I would like, a format of the cache partition through Android Recovery will make them stop for a while, then slowly start happening again, then we are back up to way too frequent again, and I format cache again. Make me think there is some kind of log growing, and it finally hits a Max size and starts crashing the kernel at a certain point. Just my 2-cents, but the cache format makes it more bearable until there is a permanent fix, or I upgrade to a Razor MAXX. :-)

I do the same thing with the wipe of the cache partition. Though mine aren't from reboots. I've been having to restart and cache wipe/battery pull every day if not twice a day due to memory management problems. Phone will become unbearably slow and unusable and then it will be restart time.

I do still get the occasional reboot though, usually when using an app. Particularly led light by picolyl. After using this app for a couple of minutes, bam instant reboot. Other than that app it's hit or miss what will cause one. I've had the camera app cause one, the dialer freezing then reboot. I have only had ten or so reboots since the last upgrade so in my case that issue has been fixed. Now if they can fix the the memory leakage issue I may be happy.

You're taking chances looking to upgrade to another Moto device. I will look at another but I'm going to try my hand with another OEM. After having the X then the X2, I'm kinda burned out on quality hardware but very poor software. IMO it has only gone down hill after the X in my case. So unless Moto comes out with something so spectacular like high end dual core, 2gb of ram, 64gb of internal memory, and the option to go with stock Android, and on Verizon,  I will probably not bother to look at them.

jason_droid
What's DOS?
Message 20 of 21

There's actually a lot of stuff going on in the background.  Both Motorola and Google want anonymous usage statistics, and those are collected and sent out periodically.  Verizon may also have some type of anonymous usage software on newer phones like the RAZR, but it's not present in the X2.

The Suggestions Poll Scheduler/Rule Checker are Motorola's Blur based pollers.  They pull usage information as needed and send it over a secure server to Motorola.  Anything from the amount of contacts to email polling frequency to cache checking (not sure what this does as Android has its own cache management) are all logged.  Google has its own pollers and are related to important Android functions.  However, Google only collects the information if you use their location services, which many do.  Some of the information Google collects is necessary for Android, such as battery life and app battery usage.

We're in the data scavenging/mining age.  Be careful.