Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MB-Tuner
What's DOS?
Views: 4,156
Message 1 of 7

Dumping Verizon, new laptop more awesome

I'm over this android phone thing. One year after plunking down my cash & signing a 2 year contract I'm obsolete?

I'm getting the 12 Plan from PagePlus cellular for minutes. 12 bucks a month. 250 minutes. I'll get a new awesome laptop for a grand or so. Use it on Wi-Fi. I'll use data on 3G sparingly from my obsolete, non upgradable phone.  

I'll lose almost nothing. I obviously don't take a laptop everywhere I take a phone. But I do still have my phone. I can buy some data GBs as needed. 

I save hundreds on a phone upgrade, more hundreds a year on an overpriced data plan. My awesome new laptop pays for itself pretty quickly. 

I'll get: 

Faster everything.

HD in large format. Streamed to my home network TVs as needed. 

DVDs. 

750 GBs of storage. And programs. really usable ones. 

I can type again. 

I'll be able to see the screen. 

I can update at will. My hardware will stand the test of time for 5 plus years i figure. One year & done? Screw you, whoever made that rule. 

Am I wrong? 

DansDroid Moto Emeritus
Moto Emeritus
Message 2 of 7

Re: Dumping Verizon, new laptop more awesome

I don't think you are wrong, perhaps just a bit misguided.  Almost from the time you walk out of the store with a desktop PC or a laptop the technology is outdated.  Yes, it's usable for a while, but hardware advancements and software demands for the faster/better hardware will quickly take it's toll on how much you can actually run on the hardware and the level of enjoyment you will get out of it's use.  There is no policy of "one year and done", I'll cite you a specific example, the case of the original Droid receiving an update over two years after it's initial release.  Here's some additional information that forum members may not be aware of regarding the grass not necessarily being greener on the other side of the fence. 

"Remember that Samsung also promised Froyo to all the orginal Galaxy S phones ... they missed their own date by over 6 months in the USA."

EDIT:  An addendum:  "Motorola's average upgrade time was the best of any manufacturer, at 54.5 days."

“…For those of us who are passionate about technology, waiting for a software upgrade can certainly be frustrating. I know this firsthand as well as from the countless Android users with whom I chat from week to week. Some manufacturers and carriers take inexcusably long to get upgrades delivered (cough, cough, Samsung, cough, cough, AT&T); there is no denying that. But all things in perspective, I think Phil hits the nail on the head….

Put simply, the variability in upgrade time and commitment is somewhat inevitable, given the open source nature of the Android platform and the ways manufacturers can and do modify the OS. It's still ridiculous that a high-end, high-profile phone like the Galaxy S takes so long to get updated, of course, but that's an unfortunate side effect you get along with Samsung's TouchWiz UI and the carrier-specific tweaks that accompany it….

Bottom line: You can get a guaranteed fast-upgrade scenario on Android, just like you can with iOS -- but with Android, you have choices. There's a huge variety of devices available, and every phone has something different to offer. If the latest and greatest software is what you want, you can have it; you just have to pick the phone that provides that type of experience…”  This article was written by J.R. Raphael"

Reference:   http://blogs.computerworld.com/19113/android_upgrade_argument

--- Dan

jason_droid
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 7

DansDroid said:

I don't think you are wrong, perhaps just a bit misguided.  Almost from the time you walk out of the store with a desktop PC or a laptop the technology is outdated.  Yes, it's usable for a while, but hardware advancements and software demands for the faster/better hardware will quickly take it's toll on how much you can actually run on the hardware and the level of enjoyment you will get out of it's use.

--- Dan

Not really.  Depending on hardware choice (i.e. staying clear of NetBooks), a desktop or desktop replacement laptop can last a whole lot longer than a smartphone, and typically last much longer in todays software environments (unless you're running graphics intensive applications or computational-based software (some of which is GPU accelerated; Folding@home, SETI@home, etc).

Why?  
1) Upgradable hard drive storage (what 32-64GB max limit? There are TBs to be had!)
2) Most computers come with at least 4GBs of high bandwidth DDR3 RAM (this built computer has 16GBs)
3) Most computers are running well past the 1.5GHz barrier of smartphones with more cores and more processing power (some are also overclockable for even more performance)
4) Desktop video cards are far and away the most powerful; there's a lot of talk about "console quality" video games on Android and iOS, but honestly, we're talking about 5 year old consoles.  PC gaming is absolutely gorgeous and breathtaking - well beyond the PS3 and XBOX 360 and lightyears ahead of the smartphone market.  There will never be equilibrium.
5) You can actually run and do whatever you want on your PC - unlike the whole locked bootloaders and locked down kernels of certain smartphones 

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 4 of 7

I have to agree with the desktop/laptop scenerio. Ten years ago it was true that when you walked out the door with that computer that it was outdated. Now days you can buy a computer and use it for more than 5 years without any problems. My current desktop is almost 5 years old and is still current. I have Windows 7 on it and Windows 8 could be loaded on it if I so choose.

Graphics cards can be upgraded very easily by just adding them via a slot on the motherboard.

Phones are right now being updated, hardware wise, just like the pc was 10 - 15 years ago. You can't walk out of the store with a new phone that isn't already behind the times. New technology for cell phones are progressing at a very fast pace right now. I would predict that in another 10 - 15 years that cell phones will get to the point that a phone can last for 5 years or more. It takes time for technology to get to that point though.

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.

GUANOPSYCHOTIC
What's DOS?
Message 5 of 7

i bought a used XOOM on ebay and kept my phone.

anybody that spends 1000 bucks on a laptop today is a fool.

i'm typing this on a used laptop that i bought for a hundred bucks and put a 128 gig SSD in it to ruggedize it.

as an ANDROID user since day 1, once you got the ANDROID in you, it's there forever.

only thingthatmight change is your cellphone provider.

good luck withyour new set up. 

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 6 of 7

GUANOPSYCHOTIC said:

i'm typing this on a used laptop that i bought for a hundred bucks and put a 128 gig SSD in it to ruggedize it.

as an ANDROID user since day 1, once you got the ANDROID in you, it's there forever.

I have the best of both worlds. I have a Razr and a lapdock. I use Android about 98% of the time and my laptop and desktop are doing nothing but collecting dust.

It is nice to have them around for a very few things, though. 

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.

MB-Tuner
What's DOS?
Message 7 of 7

GUANOPSYCHOTIC said:

If my needs were as simple as what yours must be perhaps I could make do with a $100.00 laptop. That doesn't make me a fool though. 

Multiple, complex programs run better on modern hardware.