Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mattdeto
What's DOS?
Views: 1,009
Message 1 of 25

East/West Flipped in Google Map Apps

Hello all, I have an issue with my Droid X2.

Ever since my phone did a system  update to version 1.3.380.MB870.verizon.en.us, the East and West in Google Maps and Google Sky Maps are reversed,  meaning, that when I face East, it shows West and vice versa. North and South  are fine, however. The person at the Verizon store just told me just to  do a system hard reset, however, that did not change anything. Yes, I have checked for updated to Google Maps and Sky Maps and are both up to date.

This only seems to be a problem with the Google based apps, however, as the compass in the GPS Status app and the Catch.com Compass app work fine. The Rich Location app will also point in the right direction.

Thanks for any help.

mattdeto
What's DOS?
Message 1 of 25

Re: East/West Flipped in Google Map Apps

Hello all, I have an issue with my Droid X2.

Ever since my phone did a system  update to version 1.3.380.MB870.verizon.en.us, the East and West in Google Maps and Google Sky Maps are reversed,  meaning, that when I face East, it shows West and vice versa. North and South  are fine, however. The person at the Verizon store just told me just to  do a system hard reset, however, that did not change anything. Yes, I have checked for updated to Google Maps and Sky Maps and are both up to date.

This only seems to be a problem with the Google based apps, however, as the compass in the GPS Status app and the Catch.com Compass app work fine. The Rich Location app will also point in the right direction.

Thanks for any help.

sdmorg59
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 25

I can report that my Droid X2 is experiencing the exact same issue with East/West reversal as the original poster. I tried joelbon's suggestion, but unfortunately the problem persists. I'm an astronomer and would really like to get Google Sky working correctly on my phone-- it's such a showcase app! Any other ideas or suggestions? Thanks!

Administrator
Administrator
Message 4 of 25

I have seen this sporadically on several Android devices. It does not persist but it can be maddening when you get it.

I know it's being discussed on other sites, including Google's. Wish I had a silver bullet solution for you. I'll keep looking.

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
chroma601
What's DOS?
Message 5 of 25

It's happened to me too, right after 2.3.4.  Wrote to Google and they claim it's Motorola's problem.  I sure hope this gets fixed by someone.

mattdeto
What's DOS?
Message 6 of 25

Like I said, it only affects the Google Apps as the GPS Status and Catch.com Compass apps work fine, so wonder why Google would be blaming Motorola?

I was wondering too if this problem is sporadic or does it affect everyone's X2?

chroma601
What's DOS?
Message 7 of 25

Hi Matt, here is exactly what I received when I wrote them (it's about halfway down):

(pasting)

Hello,

Thank you for your note. This is an automated reply to let you know that

we received your email.

*** HTC G2 users ***

We hear that some G2 users are unable to upgrade Sky Map to the latest

version (1.6.3) in the Market due to an incorrect signature.  Sorry about

that.  We are working with HTC to resolve this - it may take some weeks.

*** Droid X and Droid Incredible 2 users - please see below ***

If you're reporting a problem with Sky Map, we're sorry to hear that.

Here are suggestions that might get you up and running.

Please read Sky Map's 'Troubleshooting' text, which you can access with

the 'help' menu item.  It contains answers to common problems such as the

map not aligning properly and 'stuck' maps.  Most commonly an inaccurate

map can be fixed by calibrating your compass, and a 'stuck' map is due to

Sky Map having been put into manual mode.

Next, try our Google Group:

https://groups.google.com/group/google-sky-map

If neither of these help fix your problem then email us again - we do

appreciate your taking the time to report problems.

Known issues:

- On some device models the orientation is incorrect (e.g. map shows

confuses East and West or moves incorrectly).  This is often due to the

device manufacturer not implementing the compass properly and is not a

fault in Sky Map.  There is little we can do to fix this beyond waiting

for the device manufacturer to issue a patch.  Recent examples are the

Droid X and Droid Incredible 2 running Gingerbread.

We can't promise a personal reply to every question.  If your issue is

unique, not addressed in our 'Troubleshooting' text or requires further

investigation, we will contact you.  Please be assured that your feedback

will be used to improve Google Sky Map.

Regards,

Brent, Christina, Dominic, Hector, James, John and Kevin.

The Google Sky Map Team

end paste

Bob

chroma601
What's DOS?
Message 8 of 25

Has anyone figured out if the issue is with the app or with the phone?  That app used to be a showpiece for the phone.

howardm1
Punch Card
Message 9 of 25

I have the same East/West flipped issue/bug with my X2.  My friend with a new X2 reports the same issue.    Does anyone with a X2 not have this issue? 

This ought to be very easy for Motorola software support to duplicate and fix.   You can see it right after a Factory Data Reset with the included Google Maps app before any further apps installation on a phone with 2.3.4 installed (1.3.380.MB870.Verizon.en.US)

To duplicate: 

1. Start up Google Maps (preloaded version or current up-todate version, either one shows the issue)

2. While holding the Droid X2 phone flat (horizontal), pointing roughly north, switch Google Maps to compass mode by tapping the upper right circle icon once or twice until it has sharp points and is slightly tilted.   A red tipped compass arrow will show in the upper left.  The red tip is supposed to always point north.

It will probably be pointing roughly north at this point since the bug involves swapping east and west only (it still gets North and South right)

3. Rotate the phone 90 degrees to the right (or left) and  note that the red arrow , which should have remained pointing north, instead swivels the other direction and now is pointing roughly south.   A properly working phone (like my friends Droid 1 or Droid 2G) will keep the red arrow pointing roughly north.

I have tried multiple Factory Data Resets, followed by compass recalibrations (rotate the phone in circles a few times) but the issue always duplicates exactly.

To get more detail on the bug, try loading an Android sensor readout app like the free "AndroSensor".  It shows the compass degrees as the X coordinate readout on the Orientation sensors.  On a Droid X2 pointing North shows X=~0 degrees (or near 360 degrees which is the same thing), Pointing South show X= ~180 degrees, both good,  However pointing East shows X= ~270 degrees (BAD, should be 90) and pointing West shows X= ~ 90 degrees (BAD , should be ~270).  A Droid 1 running the same program shows the correct degrees in each direction.

The Orientation sensor issue may be related to the Polarity of the X magnetic field sensor.   The X magnetic field value is near 0 uT for South and North.  For East is shoud be near  Minus 25 (or so UT)  (But the Droid X2 says Plus 25)  and for West is should be Plus 25 (or so) uT (but the Droid X2 says Minus 25).   So it looks like it  the X magnetic field polarity readout is reversed.

Some compass programs, like the free "Compass" app somehow decode the wierd orientation readings and still find east and west properly, but many others like Google Maps and Google SkyMap get really messed up by the X2's different sensor behaviour. SkyMap in particular is pretty hard to use when it can't figure out which way you are pointing.

Hopefully Motorola is putting some priority on fixing this bug.

-Howard

josephst18
What's DOS?
Message 10 of 25

FWIW, I also have this problem.  Google Maps reports reversed compass direction, but GPS Status reports east and west correctly.