Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Glen
What's DOS?
Views: 167
Message 11 of 25

Re: East/West Flipped in Google Map Apps

I have the same problem on my Droid X2.  I see it in three apps: Google Sky Maps, Maps and Smart Compass (ver 1.3.5) by Smart Tools co.  This makes me believe the problem in the Droid, vice the apps. 

I noticed something not mentioned above.  When the phone is in “landscape” position the compass works correctly.  Laying flat, face up it is very quirky.  It lines up when the top of the phone is pointed north, but as the top is rotated toward east it indicates west.  As the phone is rotated more it soon lines up correctly on south.  With the phone flat face down as is required to view stars overhead in Sky Map it really gets weird.  It does not seem to be very predicable, sometimes lining up on north sometimes not. 

-Glen

howardm1
Punch Card
Message 12 of 25

My Droid X2 (with Android 2.3.4 and SW 1.3.380.MB870.Verizon.en.US) continues to have East/West swapped with Google maps and some other apps.   There was a Google Maps update yesterday (to Maps version 6.1) but still the Droid X2 show East/West flipped with it

My friends Droid Bionic with Android 2.3.4 SW 5.5.893.XT875.Verizon.en.US works fine wiith Google Maps (no East/West confusion).  It does seem to be a Droid X2 specific issue.

- Howard

JBass
Bit Torrent
Message 13 of 25

howardm said:

My Droid X2 (with Android 2.3.4 and SW 1.3.380.MB870.Verizon.en.US) continues to have East/West swapped with Google maps and some other apps.   There was a Google Maps update yesterday (to Maps version 6.1) but still the Droid X2 show East/West flipped with it

My friends Droid Bionic with Android 2.3.4 SW 5.5.893.XT875.Verizon.en.US works fine wiith Google Maps (no East/West confusion).  It does seem to be a Droid X2 specific issue.

- Howard

I have/had two DX's , two X2's, a D3 and now a Droid Razr.

Each of them have had (intermittently) this issue.

While annoying, it doesn't really seem to impact gps navigation.

howardm1
Punch Card
Message 14 of 25

JBass said

I have/had two DX's , two X2's, a D3 and now a Droid Razr.

Each of them have had (intermittently) this issue.

While annoying, it doesn't really seem to impact gps navigation.

This East/West flipped problem on the Droid X2 is related to the magnetic compasss.   Once you start moving, Google Maps/Navigation switches to using GPS provided directions (which only work when you are moving).  So it does not impact navigation while you are moving.  But if you are stading still and want to see what direction is North, or line up the map with the real roads, then you have a problem.  Its even worse with virtual reality display programs like Google Sky Map which needs to know what direction you are pointing to show you the correct view of the stars.   Sky Map get really confused.  Of course, if you hold your phone perfectly sideways in landscape mode, Then the incorrect East/West sensor (which is now up/down in this orientation) readings sort of cancel out and you can get a reasonably correct display.    But even then, tilting the phone up or down produces all sorts of bad star image shift.

- Howard

howardm1
Punch Card
Message 15 of 25

Google updated Google Maps on 2/15/2012 to version 6.3.0.  This new version of Maps apparently now knows how to properly deal with the Droid X2 "different" magnetic compass that showed up in Droid X2 firmware 1.3.380.MB870.   So Google Maps orientation works well now on my Droid X2. No East/West flip.  Unfortunately the various Star display programs like Google Sky Map, Satellite AR, and Start Chart still do not know how to deal the with X2's "different" magnetic compass and still mess up.  So we stilll either need all the various the Apps updated, or the Droid X2 needs another firmware update.

FYI,  I also had a chance to test a Verizon store display Driod X2 this week.  It was using firmware 1.3.232.MB870 and an older version of Google Maps and its orientation worked fine (no East/West flip).   Then I updated the phone to the latest firmware 1.3.280.MB870 and Google Maps now showed the East/West flip.    Then I updated the Google Maps from 5.9.0 to the new 6.3.0.   The East West Flip went away.

- Howard 

devedsmith
What's DOS?
Message 16 of 25

I reported this to Google way back when I had my Droid X and I still have the problem. I've had it on all of my Droid phones and my Xoom. My mom's brand new Razr has it too. My friends with HTC and Samsung don't have this problem.

devedsmith
What's DOS?
Message 17 of 25

By the way, with my Droid X and my Droid X2 I get a similar behavior with the compass: it moves the opposite direction. When I hold my phone face-up/flat with a compass/map open, and I turn my body to the LEFT, the compass/map will also rotate LEFT instead of keeping with North. All map functions on my Droid X and my Droid X2 AND my Xoom are useless.

mombofmoto
What's DOS?
Message 18 of 25

how long can this go on? First all 3 of my Droid x's had it now the Droid x2 replacement has it. Very dissapointing seems like a simple fix is in order, worked fine in one update then broken in another. But then again the cursor doesn't work so well in the reply box here in the forums either.
zbreeze02
802.11n
Message 19 of 25

Add me to the list of East-West Sky Map sufferers.  Last night I loaded the Sky Map app on my X2 and ran into an East-West orientation problem.  To view the Western sky I have to point the phone toward the Eastern sky and to view the Eastern sky I have to point West.  This is not the old "but sky maps reverse East and West because you are looking up" argument. I physically have to point the phone in the opposite direction and have my back facing the direction I want to look at.  Makes it a little difficult to pick out stellar objects.  The latest version of Google Maps is OK though.

I also just installed AndroSensor and sure enough, East is ~270 and West is ~90 in portrait orientation.  Just opposite of what you might expect.  But if I turn the phone to landscape mode and point the top of the phone (where the ear speaker and Motorola logo are) East it is ~90 and West is ~270.

Houston^H^H^H^H^H^H^H, errr, Motorola we have a problem.

JBass
Bit Torrent
Message 20 of 25

A similar discussion is in progress in the Razr zone:

https://forums.motorola.com/posts/5a193db8c2