cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zbreeze02
802.11n
Views: 94
Message 11 of 29

Re: Forget the Spring 2012 OTA bloatware update - Motorola UPDATE our kernel!

I currently like my X2 enough to stay with it for a few more months and not jump ship for what's currently available.  The only two real problems that I have had are music skip and sluggishness.  I did get tired of waiting for a fix from Red-on-Red and and now have a 50/50 mix of Blue-Green.  Sluggishness is gone, but the music skipping may be a kernel or hardware issue.  If I could update the kernel I'd probably keep it even longer.  I do feel that Motorola has abandoned this phone and has/will only provide token support.

jason_droid
What's DOS?
Message 12 of 29

Most of my music skipping issues have been resolved by using the Stagefright player, which was improved in Gingerbread, however, Motorola still failed to enable it on our phones after the move to Gingerbread. It's still not perfect, but better. IMO, it'll never be perfect until they actually build us a real Gingerbread build (kernel, mostly) with improved drivers from Nvidia. Stagefright is enabled on newer Motorola phones, including the Droid 3/4/Bionic/Razr.

zbreeze02
802.11n
Message 13 of 29

I may try Stagefright if I start getting too many music skips.  Last night I used the Google Play Music app for about an hour with my Backbeat 903's and no skips.  Today I'll listen longer to see what happens. Surfed the web last night and comments about the stability and usability of Stagefright are all over the place from great to unfinished code that causes many problems.  Must one edit the "forbidden to be discussed file" to get Stagefright? May have to take this question elsewhere because I'm surprised this conversation has been allowed to go on this long here.

jason_droid
What's DOS?
Message 14 of 29

And here are all of the things we'll never see: http://developer.android.com/sdk/android-4.0-highlights.html

I'm really not sure why more people aren't vocal about being denied better software. It's a HUGE improvement, and one that would only ENHANCE the X2's hardware. It would be SO easy to port over the Atrix 4G's build of ICS by removing unnecessary items and changing the radio to CDMA. Nvidia already released drivers for the Tegra2 for ICS. That's 3/4s of the system; the rest is Wifi/Bluetooth/CDMA.

Sorry, but I feel cheated with a phone that has capable hardware, but I'd be willing to settle for an improved kernel because this phone really isn't what it should be. The music stuttering/skipping was never fully fixed, and many of us dealt with it for MONTHS before another half-assed attempt was made to fix it. Is it fixed to date? No. Will it be? Probably not. The software build on this phone is, quite frankly, a joke. If you try to watch a regular, non-HD MPEG, you'll find that it drops frames and pauses from time to time. It's unacceptable. Stagefright actually cures this 99%, and is it enabled? Nope. The only time the X2 uses Stagefright is at boot when it plays the DROID sound during the boot animation.

We might as well have been handed pre-production models out of the box, and this phone's software at release was just a tiny notch above that (if only I knew then, right?). I'm tired of the token updates. I want a REAL update - one that fixes and actually improves the phone. This phone isn't old enough to toss out, but it seems Motorola AND Verizon would like you to do so and move on to the next best, and buggiest thing. Sorry, but the XBOX 360 and PS3 are 100x better now than they were at release, and that was mostly through software updates.

mojorizen
What's DOS?
Message 15 of 29

Just do what I plan on doing. Show them with your wallet. After one decent Moto Android device (DX) and then a slap in the face in terms of reliability and customer care (DX2), I will never purchase another. Moto will never learn until their market share slides further and starts listening to the customers.
JBass
Bit Torrent
Message 16 of 29

p1ngputts said:

JBass said:

My wife repeatedly tells me that she "LOVES!' her X2.

After some well documented hiccups, she inherited my phone and sees no need for an upgrade.

ICS, she could care less. We are not your average phone buyers.

Best of luck with the Gnex. I have seen toys that were better designed and constructed...

Most people on this site are more than average phone buyers and care about ICS. I agree with OP's original post.

Thank you for agreeing with me. We (the people in this forum) are not your average phone buyers.

We expect more from our phones, including ICS in some cases.

As far as my wife loving her phone invalidating anyone's views, she also loves mushrooms and shellfish which I personally can live without.

However, she is a fairly typical android user.

Regarding the GNEX, its' foibles and weakness are well documented.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=24073822

Users rated the nexus a 8.3 vs. a 9.6 for the DRazr.

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/Samsung-GALAXY-Nexus-CDMA_id6135/reviews

Charging port and phone jack failures being the most common failure:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?s=7e907ba0f0375664c9d070b8d3091f34&t=1518285

I have colleagues who own them and, ICS notwithstanding, they report significantly worse battery life and phone reception than my DRazr by a long shot.

Build quality is also sub-par with cheap plastics and poor durability.

Before I forget, the young couple (late 20's early 30's) that cleans our carpets also just bought an X2.

Strangely enough, they love it and have no interest in (or awareness of )ICS...

jason_droid
What's DOS?
Message 17 of 29

Older people are comfortable with what they know, and their learning curve is a bit higher than younger people. This has been well documented. Chances are, if you use the X2 for email and occasional web browsing, it'll be fine. However, on occasion, buttons in the browser will stop working and will only work again if you force close the browser app. Let's not forget the disappearing app icons on the home pages when apps are installed on the SD card. Thankfully, the 2GB of app phone storage isn't easily used up, but many games automatically install to the SD card and it's annoying to see the icons disappear.

It's also wise to remember that ICS is like Eclair (Android 2.0/2.1) on the original Droid - a work in progress (it is the first to combine tablet and phone OSes). However, the original Droid received updates from Google rather often and was eventually updated to Froyo, which improved the usability of the phone. It's important to note that the kernel was also updated, which fixed security, memory, and performance issues. Our X2 kernel is a Froyo kernel. The RAZR uses a Gingerbread kernel, and the leaked ICS shots of the RAZR also show it uses the ICS kernel (Linux 3.0.8), so at least we know the RAZR will get a FULL and COMPLETE update.

Anyway, users that have played music on their X2 have mostly resorted to playing it on another device or have dealt with the music skipping/stuttering. We've also had to deal with poor battery life from GPS apps using GPS in the background, poor memory management, poor phone performance compared to other dual-cores, poor I/O performance (horrible phone lags when an app is updating/installing), video pausing/dropped frames (non-HD), out-of-sync HD audio/video recording even with a Class 10 SD card, spotty audio performance in games, audio stuttering from streaming music, pauses/lags while playing OpenGL ES games as apps are killed in the background, force closes if an app draws more memory than available on the system (related to poor management) ... random restarts ...

Need I go on? Anyone remember when the camera sensor would completely miss the LED flash and would result in terrible photos in low-lighting? I do. It's mostly fixed, but sometimes it still misses.

jason_droid
What's DOS?
Message 18 of 29

Buttons in the browser means on actual webpages that are scripted or linked to some action. They'll do nothing when pressed and will not work on any page until the browser is completely shut down and restarted. This is for clarification on the issue that exists.

jason_droid
What's DOS?
Message 19 of 29

Here's the battery life issue. As you can see, with the screen OFF, the phone stays awake. This doesn't occur after a factory data reset, but once you start installing more and more apps, this will show up. Of course, Motorola provides a battery manager, but it does little. I've actually gotten better battery life in Performance Mode, believe it or not.

On my brother's RAZR MAXX, the phone doesn't stay awake and he manages about 4 days of light usage in a 3G area. The bars for screen on and awake time correlate very well on that phone. Here, the X2 is wasting a lot of battery by staying awake with the screen off. Anything that can use background data was set to update at the maximum time allowed (4 hours for email, 24 hours for news, no location updates for Maps, etc).

To summarize, the Froyo kernel does a TERRIBLE job managing background apps and usage. My app count is 60 - a mix of games, productivity, news/weather, and automotive related apps. The logcat shows nothing useful.

jason_droid
What's DOS?
Message 20 of 29

So much for editing on a phone ...