Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
theclarks1
What's DOS?
Views: 178
Message 1 of 3

Hidden SSID

Id been looking on the net all morning to try and figure out why i couldnt connect to a hidden SSID. I found that this is still an issue, there are a few workarounds. I tried the hidden SSID from the market and it dosent seem to work, just says that it cant find the SSID. Since I have access to the router, i enabled the SSID to broadcast, then turned it back off after I have connected it. It seemed to pick it up after it had connected to it once. However, im hoping that it wil be the same way in the morning. Can anyone tell me the status of the issue? 

eezip
What's DOS?
Message 2 of 3

Re: Hidden SSID

I have a similar problem, but my only exists when WPA2 is turned on. Connecting to a router with a hidden SSID works the first time, but I can't automatically connect when I leave and re-enter the router's range. When I use WEP or WPA I don't have this problem - only WPA2.

Changing the broadcast channel allowed me to connect once, but after that it's the same as above.

BizSAR
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 3

Re: Hidden SSID

One thing here:

Hiding SSIDs is pointless nowdays. It does not provide any security since most apps can see it anyway. Since you have access to the router, I would highly suggest setting security to WPA2 and letting the SSID broadcast. Again, hiding the SSID affords no additional protection anymore.

This, in effect, would also serve to fix your issue. Smiley Happy

My WiFi app of choice is "WiFi Analyser". It is free, and works well for the average consumer as well as the wi-fi geeks (like me). I actually use it at work, where I test wireless networks for a living.