Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Rolfster8
What's DOS?
Views: 1,586
Message 1 of 6

How do I tell apps to store on my SD card?

I am finally maxing out my internal storage and I really have not tried, or paid attention to storing any of the apps I have to my SD card.  Also, I am getting these notifications everytime I power off and power back on again that say I am low on internal storage (hence the desire to start saving to my SD card).  I do not find the directory structure of the SD card for the Droid X2 very intuitive . . . on the other hand, to be fair I haven't really spent the time to understand it either because I didn't have the need to until now.  As an example, I have an Angry Bird "update" that I tried to download.  However, when it gets to the point where it is almost done, it says it cannot complete the download because I do not have enough space.  It is referring to my internal storage of which I have 0 GB.  How do I switch the storage to my SD card instead of my internal storage, or does it depend on the app (and in this case Angry Birds just doesn't allow SD card storage?).  Thanks. 

blh-dx
What's DOS?
Message 2 of 6

Re: How do I tell apps to store on my SD card?

One you can start moving apps to your SD card by going into the manage apps section, you select an app if under the storage section the move to media area is lit up then it can be moved to the SD card. The media area is what the phone calls the SD card. Also you tap the media area at the top of the screen in manage apps and it will show you what apps can be moved to the SD card(media area) by selecting the little check mark box. 

Rolfster8
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 6

blh-dx . . . your answer does not work.  As I found out, media storage does not mean sd card.  I appreciate the reply, but I still consider this unresolved.

BizSAR
What's DOS?
Message 4 of 6

Hey rolfster8,

Where did you learn that the 'media storage' does not equal sd card storage? I'd be interested in reading about that. Thx.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 5 of 6

It is really easy to find out where apps go when you use media storage.

First go to Settings>Storage and take note of what all your storage figures are. You will have 3 different areas of storage.

1. Application storage

2. Internal media area storage

3. SD card storage

Now, the first two are both internal storage. The third is the external SD card. They just have internal storage partitioned for different purposes. This is the difference between phone storage and media storage. When you move an app to media storage you are just moving the app to a different partitioned space in internal memory.

Anyway, to see where the apps go I am going to take note of what my storage figures are now.

1. Appliccation storage = 2.09 GB

2. Internal storage = 7.72 GB

3. Sd card = 13.70 GB

*These figures are the Available space on each.*

Now I am going to move an app to Media storage. I chose Madden NFL 12. After I have moved it and look at the numbers again, the SD card available storage is still 13.70 GB. This proves that no information was pushed to the SD card. All that happened is it was moved to another area of internal memory. Hope this helps.

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.

Rolfster8
What's DOS?
Message 6 of 6

BizSAR .  . . did joelbon answer your question?  I just snooped around using Google to read different articles/tidbits that told me 'media storage' does not equal SD card.  joelbon is right.  Media storage is just a partition.  Much like partitions on computers.  Hope his answer helps!