Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MB-Tuner
What's DOS?
Views: 138
Message 1 of 10

How to avoid update?

I downloaded, but haven't installed the newest OTA update. Now I get a prompt every hour looking for me to install it. How do I get rid of this mess? 

Thanks in advance, 

George

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 2 of 10

Re: How to avoid update?

At this point you won't be able to get rid of it or stop it. You will be able to put it off, but it will eventually be updated. I am pretty sure that if the phone is rebooted that it will also install as well.

I already have my phone updated and everything seems to be running very well. Is there a reason why you want to put it off?

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.

Highlighted
MB-Tuner
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 10

Does anyone know where the download file is so that I might delete it?

I wish to wait for Ice Cream Sandwich before I allow an update on my device. hahahahahaha. Yeah, yeah, that's it, right after they unlock the

bootloader as required by law, thereby allowing me to customize my own device

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 4 of 10

mbtuner2 said:

Does anyone know where the download file is so that I might delete it?

I wish to wait for Ice Cream Sandwich before I allow an update on my device. hahahahahaha. Yeah, yeah, that's it, right after they unlock the

bootloader as required by law, thereby allowing me to customize my own device

These files are not delete-able on a phone with stock software. If you want to go any further than you will have to go to a forum or website that allows that sort of talk. It isn't acceptable here according to  the House Rules. Thank you.

How is the bootloader suppose to be unlocked by law?

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.

MB-Tuner
What's DOS?
Message 5 of 10

Happily for me, rebooting doesn't force an update. Every time a message pops up asking if I want to install the downloaded update it has been giving me more time to consider this between reminders. I'm up to 12 hours now. 

It looks like I won't have to waste a perfectly good Saturday morning updating, then un-updating all of the Droids in the house. 

George

MB-Tuner
What's DOS?
Message 6 of 10

Joel,

I believe that carriers and manufacturers ignore consumer protections that are law. They're cheating consumers of fair use. For money. They

know this. 

Now, where is your support, please? For the law, or poor Motorola who must listen to Verizon dictating their morals.  For money. 

Link to fair use law explained. Please note that it precedes the launch of the Droid X2. 

pcworld.com/article/201892/us_government_iphone_jailbreaking_is_fair_use.htmp

If the link doesn't work please google: electronics fair use law 

George

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 7 of 10

I don't see the correlation of Fair Use laws mandating that Motorola unlocks the bootloader. Do you see Apple unlocking the iPhone? No. What fair use says in this case is that if you want to root your phone than you can do it without getting into trouble from the manufacturer. It doesn't say that they have to unlock the phones.

Now, don't get me wrong, either. I would love to have the bootloader unlocked. It would be nice to install a ROM of my choosing or maybe install Ubuntu or another OS on it if I so choose, but you can't use a law that has no bearing on the bootloader to say that Motorola needs to unlock it.

Just to be perfectly clear, I stand on the side of having the bootloader unlocked. the the fair use law doesn't mandate it.

skunk13
What's DOS?
Message 8 of 10

If you power down and do a power up and hold volume - down, get into android recovery and clear the cache. This stops the phone from bugging you and it will have to redownload the update file. This will buy you a few days or until the next time you power off and on. It will download at that point. It is easier to clear the cache and buy time them hitting ignore everytime you bring it up.  Hope this helps.

MB-Tuner
What's DOS?
Message 9 of 10

No neeed to avoid now, apparently. See how to deal with it at the XDA Developers forum. 

It looks like Ice Cream Sandwich will be available soon as well, albeit somewhat crippled by Moto's lack of cooperation. 

Why won't you give up the kernal, Motorola? You're just making people mad, now.

I, like many others, won't ever buy locked down again. I hate getting hosed by big companies & I don't forget. 

11 months or so & "see `ya sucker"?

I buy for my small business & large family. 10 devices, phones & tablets, that won't be Motorola, in the next two years alone. 

Can you afford the exodus of customers? 

If Windows kept you from updating the operating system less than a year after you bought top of the line hardware you'd be mad, too. 

I don't get it. 

skunk13
What's DOS?
Message 10 of 10

mbtuner2 said:

No neeed to avoid now, apparently. See how to deal with it at the XDA Developers forum. 

It looks like Ice Cream Sandwich will be available soon as well, albeit somewhat crippled by Moto's lack of cooperation. 

Why won't you give up the kernal, Motorola? You're just making people mad, now.

I, like many others, won't ever buy locked down again. I hate getting hosed by big companies & I don't forget. 

11 months or so & "see `ya sucker"?

I buy for my small business & large family. 10 devices, phones & tablets, that won't be Motorola, in the next two years alone. 

Can you afford the exodus of customers? 

If Windows kept you from updating the operating system less than a year after you bought top of the line hardware you'd be mad, too. 

I don't get it. 

Since when is the Droid X2 getting ICS officially. It was just recently confirmed again that it was not! So I am assuminging this post is suggesting alternative sources for ICS? Right?  I am in the same boat. I will never buy another Moto device.  I have a device that is 9 months old, that will never seen a updated version, and the last update messed up my phone just like the initial "Gingerbug" release did!  I have bluetooth connectivity issues, I can't authenticate wi-fi WPA anymore, I have to reboot my phone at least once a day to get text messages to send.  I am so annoyed, and to top it off my phone is more sluggish than ever!  I wonder what I should buy, a G-Nex or Rezound... Both seem to have amazing support and developer freedom!!!!!