Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MB-Tuner
What's DOS?
Views: 83
Message 1 of 5

Listen to customers

Blackberry thought they could tell customers what they wanted. Ha! Keep your deeply flawed phone with locked

bootloader, walled garden & too much bloat. We're out of here! 

Sincerely, 

Your customers

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 2 of 5

Re: Listen to customers

Just my opinion, but I think that you should be complaining to Verizon about this issue. Verizon is the one telling Motorola to have the bootloaders locked. Just because other manufacturers make it easy to unlock their phones or have unlocking tools doesn't mean that Motorola will do the same.

This is one example of why Motorola won't unlock their phones when Verizon tells them not to. (Remember that this may not be fact. I don't have any kind of insider information) What if Verizon tells Motorola that if they allow the phones to be unlocked than they will stop advertiswing Moto phones with Verizon's money. Do you think that would be a big incentive for Motorola to follow what Verizon says? Maybe the other manufacturers have decided that they can survive without doing what Verizon wants them to, but Motorola has decided that they want to follow Verizons directives for the perks that come with it.

There very well could be a lot of other reasons as well that we just don't know about. I personally believe that you should be taking this issue up with Verizon. Just my 2 cents.

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.

MB-Tuner
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 5

Joel, 

Just my opinion, Motorola needs to man up (or woman up)

Chasing shekels in violation of laws is not excusable.

I'm not trying to hurt anyone here. I just want access to the device that I paid for as allowed by law so that I can use it as I see fit. I want to 

customize it. Update it. Make it mine. 

Besides, Google has all the dough it needs. 

George

When I complain to Verizon they refer me to Motorola. Nobody is stopping Samsung on the Verizon network, they say. 

jason_droid
What's DOS?
Message 4 of 5

Motorola isn't as profitable or as large as Samsung.  Samsung also has more component companies to reduce their smartphone cost as well.  For example, Samsung makes RAM chips, flash memory, and LCD screens (AMOLED, PenTile, etc).  What are phones comprised of?  Flash memory, RAM, a touch screen, wireless radios (3G/4G - CDMA, WCDMA, HSPA+, LTE, GSM/GPRS; WiFi, Bluetooth), and an SoC.  Guess what?  Samsung also makes its own SoC with the Exynos processors.  So, Samsung has to source CDMA/LTE radios from Qualcomm for U.S. use on Verizon (or make its own at higher cost) and WiFi/Bluetooth radios from Foxconn or Broadcom (the two leading suppliers).

So, Samsung is in a very good position, while Motorola may make its own radios, the rest of the components must be bought at market price (the more you buy, the greater the discount).  Samsung sells a TON of phones worldwide, and so, they can afford to advertise their own phones as well.

Motorola shipped 5.1 million phones, which didn't even allow it to make the top 5 amongst other manufacturers worldwide.  And keep in mind that that is not phones SOLD, just SHIPPED to retailers.  Motorola NEEDS Verizon's advertising money.  Now if Google provided some backing (which would have implications of its own), then Motorola could do what it wanted.

brandons1
What's DOS?
Message 5 of 5

This is definitely a way of looking at this that I hadn't even considered. Its true what they say, you learn something new everyday.