Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JThorntonDing
What's DOS?
Views: 4,259
Message 1 of 7

New SD card, No power

Hello, hopefully you can help me out.

I just replaced the factory SD card in my Droid x2 with a PNY 16G Class 10 MicroSDHC. While I think it initially worked I tried to use the card to accomplish some things on my laptop.  While I had the card out I realized I could no longer get my phone to power on. I reformatted the card when I finished with it and put it back in the phone, however I still can't get the phone to power on. Occasionally, with the charger hooked up I can get the green LED indicator to come on, but the screen with the large charging battery will not come up and the phone still refuses to power on.

Thanks ahead of time,

Ding

DansDroid Moto Emeritus
Moto Emeritus
Message 2 of 7

Re: New SD card, No power

There should be no correlation between the microSDHC card and your phone not powering on as your phone can function without a microSDHC card installed.  Try removing your battery for two minutes or greater and then reinsert the battery and test your phone again.  Also try charging your phone by using your USB cable to a PC USB port.  Please let us know the results.     --- Dan

JThorntonDing
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 7

I've had the battery out for several hours at a time and my normal charging method has been using a laptop USB port. Although I just tried that all again specifically using your instructions to no avail. The green indicator does come on while it is plugged in to the laptop, however the screen is not responding at all.

DansDroid Moto Emeritus
Moto Emeritus
Message 4 of 7

JThorntonDing said:

I've had the battery out for several hours at a time and my normal charging method has been using a laptop USB port. Although I just tried that all again specifically using your instructions to no avail. The green indicator does come on while it is plugged in to the laptop, however the screen is not responding at all.

View original

Thanks for the fast reply.  Are you trying to power on the phone with the microSDHC removed currently?  This is a long shot, but try to start your phone up in safe mode as described here.      --- Dan

JThorntonDing
What's DOS?
Message 5 of 7

The SD card has been removed while trying this. I cannot get the phone to start in Safe Mode either. The phone is supposed to be off, then you hold the menu button while you power it on, correct? That's what I tried, and I'm getting no response.

[edit] Apparently after several minutes of charging the phone will attempt to power on by itself, however the battery appears dead and is not charging causing it to power off almost immediately.

[Edit^2] I'm an idiot. My charger has apparently decided to go kaputz, I should have checked that sooner. I'm sorry for all the trouble. Thank you for trying to help, I do appreciate that. I hope I wasn't too much trouble.

DansDroid Moto Emeritus
Moto Emeritus
Message 6 of 7

JThorntonDing said:

The SD card has been removed while trying this. I cannot get the phone to start in Safe Mode either. The phone is supposed to be off, then you hold the menu button while you power it on, correct? That's what I tried, and I'm getting no response.

[edit] Apparently after several minutes of charging the phone will attempt to power on by itself, however the battery appears dead and is not charging causing it to power off almost immediately.

[Edit^2] I'm an idiot. My charger has apparently decided to go kaputz, I should have checked that sooner. I'm sorry for all the trouble. Thank you for trying to help, I do appreciate that. I hope I wasn't too much trouble.

View original

You're very welcome, that's why I recommended trying to charge from the USB port of a computer rather than just the A/C adapter.  Good to know your phone will now be working as Motorola intended.    --- Dan

JThorntonDing
What's DOS?
Message 7 of 7

I have an A/C / USB combo and that is what I was using. The A/C adapter gives no response, however when I use the USB wire the green indicator comes on. I think that is why I was confused.