Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TCJ5475
What's DOS?
Views: 8,826
Message 1 of 5

Phone not vibrating when receiving text messages

Yesterday my phone suddenly stopped vibrating when I receive a text message.  I have my phone settings on "vibrate when in silent mode" (which it is in silent mode) and the text message settings in vibrate.  When I check "vibrate" in the messaging settings, the phone vibrates, but not when I am actually receiving a text message.  I use no apps for text messaging other than the one installed on the phone.  Is anyone else having this problem?  I have turned the phone off and took the battery out for about 5 minutes, restarted and still nothing!

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 2 of 5

Re: Phone not vibrating when receiving text messages

Have you tried this in different modes? Try changing the phone settings to just vibrate all the time. Now test. If it vibrates that way then toggle it back to vibrate in silent mode and test again. Sometimes just toggling a setting will kick start it into working. Also, double check to make sure that the phone is in silent mode. Hope this helps.

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.

TCJ5475
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 5

I did try setting the phone to all combinations of vibrate and it still didn't work.  I installed the Handcent SMS app today and vibrate works fine with this app.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 4 of 5

I, too, use Handcent and really like it. I am glad that you were able to find a way to get this to work.

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.

joe87
What's DOS?
Message 5 of 5

i had the same problem and couldnt figure it out but found the solution on another forum. it seems that the phone recognises SMS messages as notifications. here is the answer:

In Settings > Sound > Vibrate you have it set to "Only in silent mode."

In Messaging you have Settings > Vibrate set to "Only when silent."

You have the phone in Silent Mode (Settings > Sound > Silent Mode is checked)

Messaging Settings >Notifications is checked?

i made sure all of these were correct and it worked!

Someone had also posted this table from the Settings > Sound > Vibrate menu which made a lot of sense.

Column 1

Column 2

Row 1

(always vibrate)

Ringtone

with vibrate

or

Silent

with vibrate

Row 2

(never vibrate)

Ringtone