cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bradyhunt
What's DOS?
Views: 225
Message 1 of 9

Ring tones and notifications seem to change to random tones.

My Droid X2 seems to randomly change the tones I have set for contact specific rings, the default ringtone and notifications. I have done 2 factory resets and it keeps doing this. Is it a setting I am messing up or is it something wrong with my phone?

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 2 of 9

Re: Ring tones and notifications seem to change to random tones.

Do you notice when this seems to occur? Like after you have the phone connected to the computer with a USB cord? Or when you run certain apps? Do you have any problems with other data on your SD card getting corrupt or anything else? If there is any other information that you can give might help us figure this out it would help.

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.

Belligerent
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 9

I might be having the same issue with my Contacts ringtones. I will go into much more detail, so please bear with me...

Firstly, I have pasted ringtones in the following location in the root (internal) directory of my Droid X2 phone: system/media/audio/ringtones.

I perform the following steps:

I go into Contacts and select the first contact; then the options key; then Ringtone; then I choose a ringtone, then OK.

I repeat the previous steps with seven more contacts/ringtones.

As I am performing these steps with the eighth contact, as soon as I choose the ringtone I want to be associated with that contact, the Droid X2 ringtone starts playing, and under ringtone, it says "Default ringtone (Droid X2)." Once this happens, it doesn't matter which ringtone is chosen, only the Droid X2 ringtone will play.

When I go back into the contacts I just changed the ringtones for, and choose Options, the ringtone listed for each of them will be "Default ringtone (Droid X2)", although when you click on ringtone, the ringtone I chose earlier will be checked; and if I choose any other ringtone, only the Droid X2 ringtone will play (and only "Default ringtone (Droid X2)" will be shown as being chosen).

If I turn off the phone and back on again, I can go back into these contacts and the ringtones will be what I chose for them earlier.

But, if I start assigning ringtones to more contacts, as soon as I get to the eight contact, it gets stuck on the Droid X2 tone again, and only "Default ringtone (Droid X2)" will be shown as being chosen (until I power cycle the phone again).

As annoying as this is, I could live with it, EXCEPT that after a few, to several days, the ringtones I have set for any of my contacts will randomly change. In essence, at any given point in time, I have no idea what ringtone is associated with any contact.

I went to the local Verizon store and was able to replicate this for a representative there, both before and after she put the phone in safe mode. She also confirmed that my phone's software was up to date. She said she had never heard of a droid x2 doing that before (of course!)

Since that visit to the store, I have performed both a "battery pull" and a full Factory Data Reset, erasing all the data on both the internal and external phone storage.

After the Factory Data Reset (and prior to installing any new Apps) I performed the steps listed above for changing the ringtone associated with a contact, and had the exact same results.

I believe all of the above steps may have covered all the questions/suggestions asked/given so far…any other ideas?

floater
What's DOS?
Message 4 of 9

I've had the same thing happen to me twice.  Both times the phone was not connected to a computer and I wasn't running any particular apps...at least I don't think I was. Undecided 

Now, this is where it gets strange.  Both occurrences happened to be the ringtone I set for my wife.  I've put some mp3s on my sd card.  Actually, I've put several albums on my sd card.  Anyway, I set the ringtone for my wife to be the third track of one of the albums.  Usually all my ringtones play as they should, but twice now the ringtone set for my wife will somehow be switched to the first track of the album.  I then have to  change her ringtone back.  Like I said, it's only happened twice and they happened roughly a couple months apart.  I never really thought much of it, but it's interesting to see that I'm not the only one that's happened to.

Belligerent
What's DOS?
Message 5 of 9

I have a similar issue. I keep all my ringtones (which are mp3 files I have created/edited from various songs) on my internal hard drive (internal phone storage-root directory / media / audio / ringtones). I have read on this board about people who've had some issues with various apps and such because they stored stuff on their sd card, so for simplicity's sake, I put everything on internal storage.

When I attempt to assign a ringtone to more than seven contacts, everything goes to heck and a handbasket in the middle of assigning a ringtone to number 8. After I power cycle the phone, (mostly) everything is ok, UNTIL I attempt to assign another 8; power cycling fixes the issue again, though. This would be acceptable to me, IF that was the only problem; BUT, of course, it's not; after some amount of time later, ALL my ringtone assignments will change randomly.

I went to the Verizon store and showed them exactly what it does; they told me to call Motorola. I went home and performed a factory reset and attempted this same thing before downloading any apps; same thing occurred (I actually performed 2 factory resets).

So, I started emailing Motorola; worked my way up to a phone call; then they said they could send me a "like-new" replacement phone within 10 days of their receipt of MY phone by THEM (yeah, right!) when it hit me that I've only had the phone for a couple months; they transferred me to Verizon, who shipped me a "like-new" phone within a few days (prior to me shipping them mine).

Well, guess what…same exact thing. I called Verizon, and spoke with a guy who seemed to be a bit of a technical person; he suggested maybe I have a problem with the tags of my mp3 files. Well, weeks prior to all this, I had used a program (TagScanner) to clear any excess information in the tags and clean up the filename, title, etc.. He gave another suggestion, which I tried, but it also failed.

So, I started once again emailing Motorola. The last I heard from them was a response saying I should hear from them within 24 hours, just under 5 DAYS ago.

So, that's where I am with this issue. I'll post back on here if I have any success.

Belligerent
What's DOS?
Message 6 of 9

Very strange...after almost 5 days of not hearing a thing from Motorola, within minutes of entering the post above, I got an email from them. Hmmm....

Anyway, the email said to call them, so of course I did. After sharing my story with the first person I spoke with, I was transferred to another Moto employee who told me that Motorola was working on my case, and someone would call me back within 24 hours (sounds familiar, huh?).

Believe it or not (I hardly could) someone did call me back within 24 hours, but only to tell me that someone else would call me back in another 24 hours (I actually appreciated them letting me know this).

Well, about 24 hours later, I got yet another call from Motorola telling me that, yes, what I described to them was indeed an issue, they did not currently have a solution, but they did have a temprorary fix. Their temporary fix was for me to use an App called Ringdroid.

The person I spoke with told me that they were working on correcting the issue, and the solution would most likely be included in the next software update. So that's where that is.

Shortty209
What's DOS?
Message 7 of 9

I too have been experiencing this irritating problem all of a sudden.  I have only had my notifications/ringtones randomly change after the phone has been plugged into my PC's USB.  It will sometimes change the notifications to stock sounds and other times to ringtones or MP3's I have added to my droid X2.  I haven't been overly impressed with Verizon's tech support as I have only been with them a year since switching from AT&T and on my 4th droid X and now X2 since April.

I will continue to do research on this problem but I hope others that have this problem and have found a resolution, will post their findings. 

I also had an issue where I no longer received gmail notifications, then after a few weeks, they randomly started working again.  Ready to jump ship on these Droid X's.

zbreeze02
802.11n
Message 8 of 9

This is an older thread, but the problem seems to persist.  My X2 randomly changes and assigns ringtones to the contacts that I have previously assigned ringtones.  The default ringtone also changes.  I cannot predict when this happens.  I'm always careful to eject all X2 mounted disks before unplugging the phone from the PC.  It appears to be a Motorola Blur problem that has carried over through releases and different phones.

There is a current discussionon in the Razr forum too "Ringtones changing by themselves".

https://forums.motorola.com/posts/884b6c352a

Belligerent
What's DOS?
Message 9 of 9

I installed the latest update yesterday, but to my dismay, it did not fix this problem (as the Motorola tech rep told me it would).

Ok, I suppose I should take that statement back...I re-read my own earlier post, and I see that I wrote that the tech rep told me that "the solution would most likely be included in the next software update."

So, I'm guessing that Motorola either didn't feel it was important enough to fix, or they didn't know how to fix it.