Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rolfster8
What's DOS?
Views: 170
Message 1 of 4

Transferring Apps from Internal Storage to Your SD Card on the Droid X2

In my quest to transfer my apps from internal phone storage to my SD CCard I discovered that Motorola refers to (or is it Android) to your SD card as 'media storage'.  In an attempt to use the 'Manage Apps' feature and selecting 'Media area' I see apps with check marks and those without.  I thought that the ones with checkmarks are those already on the SD Card and those without are those that are not on the SD Card, but might be able to be put on the SD Card.  (Another user via another question I put out there indicated that the check marks indicate whether or not an app can be stored to the SD Card . . . is that true?).  At any rate I am getting the following message when I select an app and select the 'move to media storage' button.

Failure to move application.  There is not enough storage left. 

Here is the particulars of my current state of storage -

Application Storage - 1.04 GB

Internal Storage-

Total Space: 4.36 GB

Available Space: 4.88 GB

SD Card -

Total Space: 29.71 GB

Available Space: 28.79 GB

*So I have plenty of SD Card space, why am I getting this error?  Is the one user correct that just because I see an app in the media area tab, that doesn't mean that it can be transfered?  Also, when I select an app and the button to move it to the media area is selectable (not greyed out) . . . shouldn't it be selectable without getting the failure I keep getting?  Obvoiusly I have PLENTY of SD Card space, so there is something I obviously do not understand.  Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 2 of 4

Re: Transferring Apps from Internal Storage to Your SD Card on the Droid X2

Check out this thread. It will enlighten you. Hope this helps.

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.

jason_droid
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 4

Because Motorola names the internal eMMC "sdcard," Android apps that can be moved will be moved to the INTERNAL SD card. The external SD card is "sdcard-ext" which Android doesn't support for installations; it's just static extra storage for music and videos. Poor choice, IMO. The external SD card should ALWAYS be named "sdcard" for compatibility purposes. The internal could've been named "sdcard-int" or "sdcard-emmc" to allow Android and many other apps that use the SD card for caching or large game data installs, to use the external and upgradable SD card. My class 10 32GB SD is useless with Motorola's setup.

valadon
What's DOS?
Message 4 of 4

Well, that was a real surprise! I just noticed this too. I have ES file explorer and another new file manager program calledSmiley Frustratedolid Explorer, which is a great app BTW, and the second program (Solid) makes it really easy to copy or move files directly to the SD/external. I tried Apps2sd...but the program not only does not put the files in SD/external, but it doesn't work as well on the X2...Actually, in hindsight, it may be better to have direct control over what goes where with a file manager.