Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bolski
What's DOS?
Views: 168
Message 11 of 41

Re: Verizon Software Update Droid X2

But adding MORE bloatware? Give me a break. This is ridiculous! If you accept this update, which doesn't seem to fix a darned thing, including skipping music, then all it was was a way for Moto to come out and say "See, we're honoring the 18-month agreement to update the phone". This update is nothing and it was something that was leaked out months ago. 

Sorry Motorola. This is it. I'm done with you and your phones. I will not purchase another Motorola device ever. ICS has proven to run on the X2 via CM9. CM7 for the X2 (as well as Eclipse) has proven that this phone DOES have the capabilities to run efficiently, especially with MotoBlur removed from it.

p1ngputts
What's DOS?
Message 12 of 41

Is this supposed to make us happy considering we are getting screwed with no ICS? VZ Video and Navigator?!? Cmon. This update confirmed to me that HTC is the better phone for my next upgrade. /rant

Bolski
What's DOS?
Message 13 of 41

p1ngputts said:

Is this supposed to make us happy considering we are getting screwed with no ICS? VZ Video and Navigator?!? Cmon. This update confirmed to me that HTC is the better phone for my next upgrade. /rant

Yup, I'm going either HTC Rezound or Galaxy Nexus. I'm also considering switching carriers as well. 

JBass
Bit Torrent
Message 14 of 41

Bolski said:

p1ngputts said:

Yup, I'm going either HTC Rezound or Galaxy Nexus. I'm also considering switching carriers as well. 

Yeah, I'm going to a worse phone and worse carrier because I didn't get something I was never promised. Tongue out

That'll show'em!

droidforce
Token Ring
Message 15 of 41

I had those exact thoughts Jbass but decided not to post them.....lol
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 16 of 41

One thing to remember is that the list of fixes that Verizon puts out doesn't have all the fixes that will be included. You really need to get the update and see what it fixes. I will bet that there are a lot more involved than the list in the op.

As far as the bloatware is concerned, we will just have to learn to deal with it because there are enough people that use it that make Verizon money so they want it on the phones that are on their network. It is unfortunate, and I hate it, but it is what it is. I just hide it all and go on with my day.

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.

Bolski
What's DOS?
Message 17 of 41

JBass said:

Bolski said:

p1ngputts said:

Yeah, I'm going to a worse phone and worse carrier because I didn't get something I was never promised. Tongue out

That'll show'em!

First off, please do not take my comments as flaming you as I'm not doing that. I just want to point out a few things from your post.

I would like to know how you feel that the Rezound and Galaxy Nexus are WORSE than the X2? They outperform the X2 and one (the Nexsus) has ICS and the other (Rezound) has been confirmed to get it. Both can be unlocked right now on Verizon. The Nexus comes with 32gb internal memory (you can get another model with 16gb). The Rezound comes with 16gb internal memory plus a 16gb sd card which can be upgraded to a 32gb sd card (which I already have).

The Nexus is powered by an OMAP 4460 dual-core 1.2ghz CPU. The Rezound is powered by the MSM8660 Snapdragon dual-core 1.5ghz scorpian CPU.  The two drawbacks to the Nexus are no external SD card and the camera is 5mp. Both come with front and back facing cameras. The Rezound has an 8mp camera and a 2mp secondary camera. 

The displays of both are as follows:

Nexus: Super AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors, 720x1280

Rezound: S-LCD capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors, 720x1280

So, I'm not quite sure about how these two phones are worse than the X2. As for going to a worse carrier, that all depends. It's all based on the perspective of the consumer. Maybe I'm willing to do so. As it is, Verizon's 4g LTE has been having SO many outages, it's not funny. If people want to be sheep, and stay with the "master" rather than stand up for what they feel is right, then I guess that's their perogative. For me, I refuse to lay down when I feel a company is NOT putting forth the promises they made. That is the beauty of our country here in the US (not trying to be political, just stating what is obvious and the truth - the freedom of the consumer to pick and choose what they want).

As for Motorola hardware being the best, I beg to differ with the X2. It is plagued with issues. Motoblur is one issue (though that's software not hardware). However, it hampers the performance. Even with custom ROMs that are completely blurless (CM7), the music STILL skips bu the performance does increase two-fold if not more. This to me points to either a kernel issue (which I doubt) or else, a hardware issue. I think part of the issue is the 512mb internal memory. That really hurts this phone when Motoblur is installed. Remove Motoblur and things improve dramatically.

Random reboots, hangs, etc all point to a phone plagued with issues. And, I'm not the only one that has witnessed some or all of these issues. There are hundreds of other users out there that have posted their frutrations with this phone. And yet, not fix has been made for a lot of these, including the skipping music. My previous droid was an LG Vortex which was and ARM6 phone and SO much slower and had LESS memory. Music NEVER skipped on it, once. With the X2, even when I'm not doing anything, it will skip and/or pause once every couple of minutes. 

Not trying to start an argument here, but I just wanted to point out a few things about how the X2 is supposedly a better phone than the two I mentioned when in reality it's not.

CIAO!

jason_droid
What's DOS?
Message 18 of 41

The X2 was a joke when it was released, and continues to be a joke today.  The Tegra2 isn't a bad SOC, but it's not quite mature either.  Either way, Motorola never gave this phone its full backing, and it shows.  The RAZR is actually a decent phone, and probably one of the best Motorola has released in a long time.

Enabling Stagefright solved some of the music skipping, and really solved the video pausing/dropped frames.  But, it's disabled from the factory, so you have to resort to editing the build.prop.  I can understand why it was disabled because this phone was released with Froyo when Stagefright had more bugs, but it's actually faster and more stable than OpenCore on GB.

Personally, I think either the Tegra2 had manufacturing issues or its RAM had some kind of issue on many phones.  When I first got my phone, it restarted 10 times when trying to use anything processor intensive and also while just idling within the first 2-3 hours of use.  Eventually, it stabilized on Froyo, and I could actually watch full YouTube videos without a restart - just one.  After watching one full YouTube video (about 5 minutes), it would restart.

So, I resorted to just lightly using the phone, while keeping it powered on and allowing the Tegra2 to do housekeeping.  What a piece of garbage straight out of the box though.  On 2.3.4, it's much better, though I still think they need to tweak the minfree values for this phone.

The thing that gets me is why the Atrix received 1GB and full Webtop, while the X2 was bastardized with 512MB and no full Webtop.  Guess that sums everything up eh?  The Droid X2 really is a bastard, born from the Droid Bionic Etna (aborted/failed) with 4G LTE removed.  The software actually has provisions for 4G, but they're all disabled.

I can't wait to dump this phone and move away from Motorola.

p1ngputts
What's DOS?
Message 19 of 41

Hey JBASS,

We were promised 18 months in cycle support. We got roughly a decent 10. Other 3g phones are getting ICS and have less specs. 

Second, never said I was going to a different carrier. 

Third, Moto is becomming the Sony of televisions. Time to realize Moto isn't the best anymore.

That'll show'em!

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 20 of 41

p1ngputts said:

Hey JBASS,

We were promised 18 months in cycle support. We got roughly a decent 10. Other 3g phones are getting ICS and have less specs. 

Where did Motorola or Verizon say that we were guaranteed 18 months of support? I have never seen anywhere that this was stated by either company.

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.