Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mlgodwinjr
Token Ring
Views: 118
Message 21 of 41

Re: Verizon Software Update Droid X2

Joel,

while moto may have made no formal promise to 18 mo of upgrades, it was certainly implied when htc, moto and sammy stood shoulder to shoulder with google at google handset alliance press conference last year. Fact of the matter is, moto, google and andriod are all competing with and against apple. I personally don't care for apple, but their performance in truly keeping all of their phones up to date has made me at least open my mind to their products when i upgrade next.
dabbb
What's DOS?
Message 22 of 41

Bolski said:

This looks like a very minor update with the exception of the "Google Security Update". I'm pretty sure I know what that means.

Motorola has lost my complete support at this point. I'm done with them and I'm moving on to a different manufacturer and will never purchase another Motorola product again because of the unlocked bootloader fiasco, no ICS and now this.

I guess my BBB complaint didn't do anything.

What if we all filed BBB complaints. Moto has broken promises to millions of people, they can't ignore everyone

droidforce
Token Ring
Message 23 of 41

I am surprised it's not here yet
droidforce
Token Ring
Message 24 of 41

Wondering why this update is taking so long
JBass
Bit Torrent
Message 25 of 41

droidforce said:

We heard rumors of a D3 update weeks before the X2 rumors began and it still hasn't materialized. Frown

This is why they try to keep the soaks so secret. To try to keep us from losing our minds with anticipation.

droidforce
Token Ring
Message 26 of 41

JBass said:

droidforce said:

We heard rumors of a D3 update weeks before the X2 rumors began and it still hasn't materialized. Frown

This is why they try to keep the soaks so secret. To try to keep us from losing our minds with anticipation.

The soaks don't seem to be a well kept secret at all.  In fact they are sometimes posted on the web within in minutes of the official soak email.

JBass
Bit Torrent
Message 27 of 41

droidforce said:

JBass said:

droidforce said:

The soaks don't seem to be a well kept secret at all. 

In fact they are sometimes posted on the web within in minutes of the official soak email.

I didn't say they were suceeding, just that they are "trying" keep them secret... Innocent

jason_droid
What's DOS?
Message 28 of 41

The other thing I found out recently is the X2's graphics display is set to 16-bit/high color (65536 colors) which results in banding and color dithering.  My old Droid was set to 32-bit/true-color (16M).  Sad, eh?  You can set the X2 to 32-bit, and it looks a little better even with the Pentile screen, but it comes with a performance hit and games will consume double the memory bandwidth than before.  It's acceptable, however, but definitely not optimized.

Seems a bit backwards to me - touting higher resolution, but offering considerably less colors.  No wonder the X2's screen took so much flak; the Tegra2 wasn't even displaying things in 32-bit (24-bit color+8-bit alpha), but beside that, the "screendoor" effect of this low-density Pentile screen is pretty nasty when first looking at it.  I got used to it, but I'm revisiting my old Droid and I'm shocked that I accepted such a poor quality screen.

Anyway, just another shortcoming of the X2.

I do like the HDMI mirroring, and at least Motorola offered that on this phone.  I use it regularly.

JBass
Bit Torrent
Message 29 of 41

jason.droid said:

The other thing I found out recently is the X2's graphics display is set to 16-bit/high color (65536 colors) which results in banding and color dithering.  My old Droid was set to 32-bit/true-color (16M).  Sad, eh?  You can set the X2 to 32-bit, and it looks a little better even with the Pentile screen, but it comes with a performance hit and games will consume double the memory bandwidth than before.  It's acceptable, however, but definitely not optimized.

Seems a bit backwards to me - touting higher resolution, but offering considerably less colors.  No wonder the X2's screen took so much flak; the Tegra2 wasn't even displaying things in 32-bit (24-bit color+8-bit alpha), but beside that, the "screendoor" effect of this low-density Pentile screen is pretty nasty when first looking at it.  I got used to it, but I'm revisiting my old Droid and I'm shocked that I accepted such a poor quality screen.

Anyway, just another shortcoming of the X2.

I do like the HDMI mirroring, and at least Motorola offered that on this phone.  I use it regularly.

What was the topic again?

Oh yeah, the pending X2 software upgrade... Tongue out

jason_droid
What's DOS?
Message 30 of 41

It's relevant as Motorola could've been enhancing the X2, not shoving it under a rug. This update is a farce.