Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
bigheadedderp
What's DOS?
Views: 138
Message 1 of 12

Whose fault is it for slow upgrades?

There are a lot of players in getting a phone to the market.  Whatever the reality is, when dealing with the market, the perception of reality is all that matters in selling a product.  So where does the fault lie in having hardware lagging a year behind software?

Is Moto rushing things to market without propper effort on the software?

Is Verizon forcing unreasonable mods to be on their service?

Is Google not supporting hardware manufacturers enough?

Or are we, the ones spending our money, having unreasonable expectations and most people simply dont care?

Bolski
What's DOS?
Message 2 of 12

Re: Whose fault is it for slow upgrades?

Motorola needs to take a look at HTC. They are releasing ICS for 3g phones, so why can't Motorola do it? because they want to FORCE us into buying their new phones rather than actually help support those of us on the X2 and older phones.

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/03/14/htc-posts-ice-cream-sandwich-update-list-again-reminds-motorola...

Check out the link above and see the 3g phones that HTC is releasing ICS for. Remember, these are already scheduled and confirmed to get ICS. No "in planning and research" mode like Motorola likes to post. And, HTC has been giving these updates regularly, unlike once every 6 months.

Oh, and they have numerous phones ON VERIZON with UNLOCKED bootloaders. Please tell us why HTC can do this but not you Motorola?

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 3 of 12

Bolski said:

Oh, and they have numerous phones ON VERIZON with UNLOCKED bootloaders. Please tell us why HTC can do this but not you Motorola?

There aren't any phones that come out of the box unlocked. There maybe phones that you can unlock and lose your warranty, but they aren't just unlocked when you get them.

I can't explain why Motorola doesn't do this, I am not privy to that sort of information, but for now it is what it is. If people keep hounding than eventually it may happen. The voice of the people are usually eventually heard. There could also be forces in the background that we just cannot see, like advertising dollars from Verizon that Motorola could lose.

We as consumers need to make sure that we know as much as we possibly can so that we can complain to the right people to get the things we want. This, to me, is more a carrier issue than it is a Motorola issue.

As far as the OP is concerned, I don't see hardware lagging behind. I have seen in many cases where hardware was released and then the consumer had to wait for a software upgrade for that hardware to work. One instance of this is 4G on the Xoom. I also know that when software updates are released that there are three companies here that are involved in that process. The more people that are involved, the more time it takes to get things done.

I think that Motorola has done a very good job, in relationship to other manufacturers, in getting the updates out in a timely manner. Motorola is usually one of the first to release updates. They may not have the fastest times, but they are the slowest either.

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.

Bolski
What's DOS?
Message 4 of 12

Yeah, I know they aren't unlocked out of the box, but HTC has been updating their bootloader unlocker to allow it to unlock numerous devices. And now, HTC has also announced that just about every phone released in 2011 (including most if not all of the 3g phones) WILL have ICS on them by the end of 2012 if not sooner. Whereas, with Motorola, it appears only 4g phones are getting it. Not a good move on Motorola's part. I think they better rethink their strategy. I'm gone as a Moto customer once my upgrade comes due. It's either an HTZ Rezound or Galaxy Nexus, both which have the ability to be unlocked AND the Rezound is confirmed at getting ICS and the Nexus already has it.

bigheadedderp
What's DOS?
Message 5 of 12

Thank you for the well spoken response Joel.  Remember, it is a matter of perception and public opinion.  The perception is that manufacturers, I'm not only talking about Moto, are way behind on keeping up with the new software.  Assuming that the internet gossip is true, and that there is an update on the horizon for the X2, I highly doubt it will be ICS.  It will likely be another version of the software which is older than the phone itself.  Do I think 90% of people who use the phones care? No, I do not.  Does it really make a difference to me which version I have?  Not really, I just want my phone to work propperly (which it does not currently do).

I've skimmed over hundreds of phone reviews in the past week to help a co-worker and my nephew decide on a new phone (they chose the Bionic and Droid4).  The extreme consensus is that people want a fast/responsive phone, with a strong battery, good reception, and stability.  I can't recall anyone exlaiming blur to be so amazing, or how much fun Let's Golf 4 is (or whatever that dumb game is).  A small percentage do comment on the version of the OS they have, but it doesn't seem to be a huge factor in marketing.  So whatever updates may or may not be coming, I just hope it makes my phone work.  

droidforce
Token Ring
Message 6 of 12

jason_droid
What's DOS?
Message 7 of 12

bigheadedderp said:

Thank you for the well spoken response Joel.  Remember, it is a matter of perception and public opinion.  The perception is that manufacturers, I'm not only talking about Moto, are way behind on keeping up with the new software.  Assuming that the internet gossip is true, and that there is an update on the horizon for the X2, I highly doubt it will be ICS.  It will likely be another version of the software which is older than the phone itself.  Do I think 90% of people who use the phones care? No, I do not.  Does it really make a difference to me which version I have?  Not really, I just want my phone to work propperly (which it does not currently do).

I've skimmed over hundreds of phone reviews in the past week to help a co-worker and my nephew decide on a new phone (they chose the Bionic and Droid4).  The extreme consensus is that people want a fast/responsive phone, with a strong battery, good reception, and stability.  I can't recall anyone exlaiming blur to be so amazing, or how much fun Let's Golf 4 is (or whatever that dumb game is).  A small percentage do comment on the version of the OS they have, but it doesn't seem to be a huge factor in marketing.  So whatever updates may or may not be coming, I just hope it makes my phone work.  

I think there's something wrong with the hardware on your phone more than anything.  I just reverted to stock 2.3.4 and don't have any of the issues you have (posted in another thread).  I regularly leave my phone on mirrored to HDMI and watch my favorite shows from my SD card - sometimes I fall asleep and it's still going.  Every now and then I'll get a hard crash or it'll reboot on its own, but it's very rare.  There's a good chance the actual RAM chip has gone bad.  It happens in computers and results in random crashes, various errors, rebooting (BSODs), etc.  Memory errors will cripple the phone.  But thankfully in computers, DDR3 DIMMs are removable and many memory manufacturers like Corsair warranty their memory for life.  Not the case with the X2 as its fully integrated into the circuit board.  Good luck trying to get that fixed.

Keep in mind we're using the basic hardware of the Bionic Etna (aka the failed Bionic) minus 4G LTE.  The software released with the X2 was a joke, and overall, this phone is a major piece of garbage from Motorola.  It has continuously been undersupported.  The original X received Gingerbread (and what a mess that was), while the X2 was released with Froyo (another huge mess).  My phone restarted constantly, just idling, or trying to do anything that required the Tegra2 to do any sort of real processing.  So, this was definitely a failed Motorola product yet again.  It failed as the Droid Bionic Etna, and it failed as a decent sucessor to the Droid X.

I think Motorola just wants to bury the embarassment that this phone represents, and I don't blame them.  It tarnished the Droid X name, and it's no wonder they brought back the RAZR name to replace the X2.

Overall, I rate Motorola with an F in all things related to the Droid X2 from initial software experience to hardware support to timely bug fixes.

I'm so done with Motorola, but I'm stuck with this phone for another year.  Yay! -_-

lockejn
What's DOS?
Message 8 of 12

droidforce said:

It's not ICS

http://support.verizonwireless.com/pdf/system_update/droidx2.pdf

If this is the next X2 update - wow, what a complete waste of everyone's time and resources.

dabbb
What's DOS?
Message 9 of 12

lockejn said:

droidforce said:

It's not ICS

http://support.verizonwireless.com/pdf/system_update/droidx2.pdf

If this is the next X2 update - wow, what a complete waste of everyone's time and resources.

YES, MORE BLOATWARE!! That will be sure to fix all of our issues. When I got this phone, I can just remember thinking how much better it would be if they installed more bloatware on it. The X2 - My first, and definately last Motorola phone

JDRho
What's DOS?
Message 10 of 12

I have owned several android phones, from HTC, Samsung, and now am a not so proud owner of a DX2, I am of the opinion that things are not totally Motorola's fault. Google releases the source code for a version of android, the mfg's then add the necessary drivers to make it work with the hardware they are producing (as much of a POS as that may be), but ultimately its the carriers that issue the firm/software to the general public. Where the ball is droppped is that nobody says that the carriers cannont add all the bloatware as standard issue, especially since it should be optional as to what WE as consumers install on our phones. For this oversight, I blame the manufacturers. It its their responsibility to make sure that the hardware and software are squared away and 100% functional before it hits the market. Of all the Android phones I have owned, the Moto is Second worst in this aspect. Neither the hardware, nor the softare on my DX2 is all it should be, and Moto does not have the guts to tell Verizon where to stick it when it comes to bludgeoning us down with bloat software that is trash, or useless compared to stock android.

Now, having said all that I really think that the DX2 had a serious amount of potential. But the operative word is HAD. With all the advancements in technology since its origional release there is really not alot that can be done hardware wise to improve the phone. The software is another story. Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) in the short term is probably the best thing Moto could do as long as its stable and not loaded with tons of crap apps slow it down. What I wish would happen is that Moto would open up a firm/software download that would be free of verizons bloatware but would still work with their network. It would be a massive performance increase over what is currently "stock" and would not require us to root our phones and void any warrantys. As for bootloaders being unlocked.....it's great if you want to run 3rd party ROMS, but makes it too easy for someone to exploit that large gap in security with spyware. To each his own.....We should have that option!

On a side note here is a list of Android powered phones I have owned in order from best to worst.

1. HTC Droid Incredible - my second droid, never any issue with this one

2. HTC Droid Eris - my first droid, limited by its hardware specs, otherwise a great phone

3. Motorola Droid X2 - my current blunder, lock screen freezes the phone, NO answers as to why, and way too many issues with software upgrades being available.....(only samsung was slower)

5. Samsung Droid Charge - my 3rd droid, battery eater even using all the tricks, tips and hacks to improve battery life, no software updates, and absolutly horrid support from the mfg, verizon and forums all over the place.