Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RBD
What's DOS?
Views: 4,739
Message 1 of 16

Battery Charging Problem

I have noticed that the battery charge level does not change as I would expect even when the device is connected to the charger and the device status shows that the battery is charging.  My xyboard 10.1 had been charging for hours, long enough to bring the battery back up to a full charge, yet the battery level indicator only showed 50%.  I unplugged the charger and while attempting to browse to a web site, I noticed a warning telling me to plug the device into the charger but before I could plug it in, the "shutting down" message came up and shut the device down.  After I plugged the charger back in and started the device back up, the battery level then showed 100%!  From 50 to 100 after a forced reboot!

This is not the first time I have observed this happen.  I looked in the "Random reboots" discussion of this forum after I had seen my device shut down like this multiple times.  The discussion there may be related to this problem but no one in that discussion had mentioned anything about unusual battery charging behavior except me.  That is why I am opening this discussion to see if others are experiencing unusual battery charging.

I downloaded a battery app to see if it would report a different charge condition than the system status.  It appears to be reporting the same level but what this app does is show me a battery history and what I am seeing is that over a period of several hours when connected to the charger, the battery stays at 50% and then jumps up to 100% (after a forced reboot or something else that triggers a refresh of the battery charge state). It will stay at 100% for a period and then suddenly drop back down to 50%.  There does not seem to be anything in between 50 and 100 that is being logged.  It shows an occasional short dip below 50% before it comes back to 50%.

The device is reporting that the screen is the primary consumer of the battery.  Usually around 90% whenever I have checked.

Is this typical of the 10.1 xyboard battery and charging status?

Luke1
What's DOS?
Message 2 of 16

Re: Battery Charging Problem

I started having this problem yesterday.  I was down to 30% (annoyed that it only reads 10% increments) in the morning, so I put it on the charger.  A few hours later I checked it and it was at 100%.  Unplugged it, drove home from work, pulled it out...50%.  So far it seemed to THINK it is at 100%, but really be at 80 or 90...but this time it dropped to 50%.  I let my daughter play on it and it went down to 30% over the next 1.5 hours.  She went to bed, I put it on the charger, an hour or two later it was at 50%...and STAYED there.  I let it sit on the charger all night and it was still at 50% in the morning.  Got to work this morning and put it on the charger again.  Turned it off and it popped up at 80% and charging.  Turned it on, immediately said fully charged.
This is SO irritating!

docbrown1
Bit Torrent
Message 3 of 16

Hello Luke and RBD,

Android actually keeps a file that tracks battery usage, use and charging time to provide estimates, such as charge percent displays. When this file gets out of whack, then you see strange charging results and crazy estimates. I would suggest using the following "calibration" app, which really just deletes the battery history file and starts tracking the actual battery use again:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nema.batterycalibration&feature=search_result#?t=W...

Please post your results!

-Doc

Luke1
What's DOS?
Message 4 of 16

Docbrown,

Thank you for your suggestion.  Looks like a great app to try...except it requires rooting permissions.  My tablet is not rooted and I don't expect to even try to root with ICS around the corner (fingers crossed).  At this poing I'm hoping the ICS upgrated will fix our problem.

I continue to have bad charging results.  I HAVE found that rebooting after reaching "100%" with the unit unplugged seems to help recalculate the actual battery level.  If the unit is left plugged in it seems to still think it is at 100%.  So now I basically charge it, unplug, reboot, charge, unplug, reboot, charge...until it is 100% after reboot.    AND even doing this I'm still not getting the battery life I used to get out of a single charge.

docbrown1
Bit Torrent
Message 5 of 16

Luke said:

Docbrown,

Thank you for your suggestion.  Looks like a great app to try...except it requires rooting permissions.  My tablet is not rooted and I don't expect to even try to root with ICS around the corner (fingers crossed).  At this poing I'm hoping the ICS upgrated will fix our problem.

I continue to have bad charging results.  I HAVE found that rebooting after reaching "100%" with the unit unplugged seems to help recalculate the actual battery level.  If the unit is left plugged in it seems to still think it is at 100%.  So now I basically charge it, unplug, reboot, charge, unplug, reboot, charge...until it is 100% after reboot.    AND even doing this I'm still not getting the battery life I used to get out of a single charge.

Hello Luke,

Looks like they changed the permissions, it did not use to require rooting (and I would never suggest it based on that). There is another calibration app that does not require rooting, but I will have to hunt it down.

-Doc

RBD
What's DOS?
Message 6 of 16

About a month ago I reset my XYboard 10.1 to factory defaults and restored all apps, accounts and settings. After doing that the battery charging problems that I experienced before cleared up. Three days ago, I noticed that the charge status of the battery would not go above 70%, even after leaving the XYboard on the charger for 8 hours. I have not been able to get the battery back up to 100% no matter how long I charge it. I have tried running the battery completely down before recharging it. Still it will not charge back up to 100%. I have tried to find a battery calibration app to see if one might correct this condition but have not been able to find one that does not require rooting the tablet. I am beginning to think that I will need to reset the tablet to factory defaults again to clear this issue. Anyone have any suggestions short of a factory reset?
docbrown1
Bit Torrent
Message 7 of 16

RBD said:

About a month ago I reset my XYboard 10.1 to factory defaults and restored all apps, accounts and settings. After doing that the battery charging problems that I experienced before cleared up. Three days ago, I noticed that the charge status of the battery would not go above 70%, even after leaving the XYboard on the charger for 8 hours. I have not been able to get the battery back up to 100% no matter how long I charge it. I have tried running the battery completely down before recharging it. Still it will not charge back up to 100%. I have tried to find a battery calibration app to see if one might correct this condition but have not been able to find one that does not require rooting the tablet. I am beginning to think that I will need to reset the tablet to factory defaults again to clear this issue. Anyone have any suggestions short of a factory reset?

Hello RBD,

My understanding is that Android uses a system file to calibrate the battery remaining. When that file gets out of sync with the device (works the same with phones), then you see incorrect availability. The Factory Reset reinstalls the OS from a fresh copy and recreates the battery file from scratch. There use to be an app that would remove or clean-up the file without root access, but I have not been able to locate it in the Market recently. Some developers claim this process recalibrates the battery and others do not.

-Doc

eh33
What's DOS?
Message 8 of 16

RBD said:

My xyboard just started doing the same thing yesterday.  Will not go past 70% charge.  Were you able to find a fix that did not involve a factory reset?

RBD
What's DOS?
Message 9 of 16

I did not find anything short of a factory reset that would clear this condition. I had to do it again recently and when that problem continued, I finally sent my xyboard back to Motorola for repair or replacement. I hope the new or replacement doesn't show signs of this same problem. I believe it is a battery problem.
eh33
What's DOS?
Message 10 of 16

Thanks. I did a reset on mine yesterday and it is back to normal.  I'm hoping it isn't a recurring problem because obviously the reset sucks.  It took over an hour to get it back to where it was.  Even keeping the block checked to restore everything on a reset doesn't restore a fraction of what is on the tablet, including email accounts, etc.  Motorola products seem to have battery issues.  I had a similar issue on my Razr where at one point it wouldn't even turn on.  I had to plug it into a charger to provide an external power source to get it to turn on.  Happened several times.  Once on, battery, etc. were normal.  Finally had to return it for a replacement as it was explained that it was a battery malfunction.