cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
docbrown1
Bit Torrent
Views: 396
Message 91 of 97

Re: ICS Upgrade Issues, Questions and Tips (official)

DroidudeAZ said:

I just bought a new Xyboard 10.1 for cheap. It had 3.2 so I did the software upgrade and have noticed that the tablet loads up on memory quickly and can slow things down. Otherwise it's pretty good. Are there any good memory optimizing apps out there?

View original

Hello DroidudeAZ,

Also recognize that the stock Android browser in ICS (and earlier) has a known memory leak. So if you use the stock browser routinely, you will need to reboot the tablet to free up the memory (or it will slow down). A better alternative might be using a free third party browser, such as FireFox or Dolphin Pad. You can also monitor the memory and resource usage with the free app "SystemPanel".

-Doc

DroidudeAZ
SCSI Port
Message 92 of 97

Hi Doc. I had forgotten aobut that. I  don't use the ICS browser but I do use Chrome Beta. Would the memory leak apply here as well? I think I should uninstall the ICS browser.

docbrown1
Bit Torrent
Message 93 of 97

DroidudeAZ said:

Hi Doc. I had forgotten aobut that. I  don't use the ICS browser but I do use Chrome Beta. Would the memory leak apply here as well? I think I should uninstall the ICS browser.

View original

Hello DroidudeAZ,

There's no memory leak that I am aware of for the Chrome browser,n or any other third party browser. You actually cannot uninstall any stock Android browser, but you can disable it (if you prefer) in the Settings.

-Doc

Highlighted
DroidudeAZ
SCSI Port
Message 94 of 97

Hi Doc.  I disabled the stock browser and downloaded Chrome and Chrome Beta.  I've had my tablet for a few weeks now.  I did a FDR and all of my apps are legit.  I uninstalled News Republic because it's a memory hog. I'm having several freeze ups per day. One morning I took the tablet off its Moto dock and put it in my briefcase.  It froze up with the screen on and when I took the tablet out of my bag 8 hours later the battery was down to 30 % and I had to do a soft reset.  Sometimes it freezes up when I'm reading an article on the web. Any ideas/advice are welcome.  Do you think JB will fix some of this? I have the VZW 10.1 Xyboard.  One more thing.  A few times a week at random I get a pop up that says to restart the tablet because the sim card isn't there.  I tap the screen and few times and the notification goes away.  

DroidudeAZ
SCSI Port
Message 95 of 97

I forgot to mention, sometimes I will turn the screen off and get a glass of water or something and when I come back a few minutes later, it won't turn on. I have to do a soft reset to get it going again. Last night it wouldn't turn on and it took three tries before it would power back up. 

WP2001
What's DOS?
Message 96 of 97

Since the new update many of our applications on the 10.1 xyboard are not working properly. 

>On our calendar we can not forward to other people or to our tasks.  We used to be able to forward to other clients emails and to our tasks as the three dot vertical colon in the top right corner of the open entry will not highlight or work.  Previous calendar entries will highlight and let us forward & share, but will not let us add to tasks.

>On Quickoffice we can not save our sticky note or the writing on our open contracts.  Even when we do "save as" and rename the document with the changes.

We use this tablet to help us run our plumbing business and are not techies.  We are afraid to reset it to factory settings as we would loose everything.  We are not even sure how we can back up, etc.  We went to Verizon and they were very less than helpful.  Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated!

docbrown1
Bit Torrent
Message 97 of 97

WP2001 said:

Since the new update many of our applications on the 10.1 xyboard are not working properly. 

>On our calendar we can not forward to other people or to our tasks.  We used to be able to forward to other clients emails and to our tasks as the three dot vertical colon in the top right corner of the open entry will not highlight or work.  Previous calendar entries will highlight and let us forward & share, but will not let us add to tasks.

>On Quickoffice we can not save our sticky note or the writing on our open contracts.  Even when we do "save as" and rename the document with the changes.

We use this tablet to help us run our plumbing business and are not techies.  We are afraid to reset it to factory settings as we would loose everything.  We are not even sure how we can back up, etc.  We went to Verizon and they were very less than helpful.  Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated!

View original

Hello WP2001,

I think you accidentally posted this in the old ICS Upgrade thread, rather than the latest JB (Android 4.1.2) upgrade thread.

Please use the following thread for any issues, tips or suggestions related to the JB upgrade: https://forums.motorola.com/posts/3a554cd34a

-Doc