Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
QuackVT
What's DOS?
Views: 405
Message 1 of 12

No jelly bean for Xyboard wifi ??

While on the Moto update page https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/software-upgrade-news/g_id/1949 I noticed that only the Verizon version of the xyboard will be getting 4.1. The wifi only model ( both sizes ) is listed as remaining on 4.0.4. I realize devices are not supported forever and accept that. But it does not seem like much to ask that both variants of the tablet get the upgrade but that's just my 2 cents.... 

DroidudeAZ
SCSI Port
Message 2 of 12

Re: No jelly bean for Xyboard wifi ??

I read a comment that Matt wrote in a different forum and he said they would try to get the Wifi version updated as well.

QuackVT
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 12

I hope so it would be nice if that did end up happening 

XoomFreak
What's DOS?
Message 4 of 12

It would be nice, but I must say I am thoroughly disappointed in the upgrade schedule for the wifi only device. There is no reason they should not be jumping to 4.3 or at the very least 4.2. The device was released in December of 2011. At that time 4.0 was gold and had been available for a few months yet the device shipped with a variant of 3.0. In August of 2012 Motorola finally rolled 4.0, but 4.1 had already hit gold and 4.2 was well on its way. Now we are nearing the end of this product's life cycle and they are not looking to update the device any further. It is rather criminal that they charged me $499 at retail for a device they barely support. They have not even released the fast boot files to allow the ROM community to push this device to its full potential. I will not even waste my time talking about the horrendous lack of communication surrounding device updates and what to expect.

While I can cry all I want, it is clear if I want a product to last its full two year life cycle (about the time the battery craps and newer apps start to slow down) I might as well go with the mother ship and buy a Google device. The Moto merger with Google was all about patent acquisition and not about hooking up the customer.

Moto your just like one of my ex's now. It was a good 20 year run. Ciao ciao bye bye. DELETE. EOL.
DroidudeAZ
SCSI Port
Message 5 of 12

The OG Xoom just got upgraded to 4.2. The Xyboard runs a nearly stock version of 4.0.4, so I hope it gets updated to 4.2 or 4.3. Now that Google is at the helm, I  think our chances are better.

XoomFreak
What's DOS?
Message 6 of 12

I think this pretty much closes the door on a Wi-Fi update.  Looks like they are rolling the soak tests.

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/10/28/motorola-soak-test-invites-rolling-out-for-droid-ultra-maxx-and...

See Will Carter's comment.

QuackVT
What's DOS?
Message 7 of 12

Seems like quite the slap in the face to the folks who bought it at full retail price. I fail to see how my wifi only model is not " upgradable " but the 4G tablet is..... Would love to hear the reasoning behind that.... I understand they can update only so many devices but how hard would it be to update both the wifi and the 4G ?? If I am wrong on that people are free to point it out.

DroidudeAZ
SCSI Port
Message 8 of 12

I did not pay anywhere near list price for it. It was buggy when I got it, but Doc Brown got me straightened out. I did a FDR without installing any apps and then added them back in slowly so I could identify the one that didn't play nice with ICS. Once I got that handled, it's been very competent. I hope to see it upgraded to at least 4.2 if not Kitcat. This is an awesome tablet, very underrated. 

QuackVT
What's DOS?
Message 9 of 12

Yeah I have been very happy with mine as well. Would love to see the Moto upgrade page changed but not getting my hopes up at this point.

maxxpp
What's DOS?
Message 10 of 12

soft brick mz615 waiting for 4.1