Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JBass
Bit Torrent
Views: 529
Message 1 of 13

Too late to Buy a XYBoard?

I just bought my wife a Galaxy Note 10.1 for our next trip to Europe.

During my search for a tablet, I ran into several dealers that still have new VZW 4g XYBoards off contract for $200.

Is this still a viable tablet option or just too old and too expensive given its' two year old specs?

I have also heard battery life is poor. Should I be concerned about the battery given its' age?

If you would still recommend this tablet, what is right price for it?

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 2 of 13

Re: Too late to Buy a XYBoard?

My Xoom's battery still does a fine job and it's older
*the search bar is your friend*
-This is a peer to peer support forum, MOTOXPRTs are volunteers, not Motorola employees
JBass
Bit Torrent
Message 3 of 13

pacojr67 said:

My Xoom's battery still does a fine job and it's olderView original

Good to hear.

Any comments on the XYboard's current viability and pricing?

I have a feeling I will only be handling my wife tablet when she is sleeping or when it needs charging ...wink

DroidudeAZ
SCSI Port
Message 4 of 13

I bought one several weeks ago for $200. Screen quality is surprisingly good for 149ppi. Build quality is crazy good. Metal and rubber, very easy to grip. The speakers rock pretty loud and they're stereo too. Now for the bad, It freezes up 2-4 times a day and has to be reset. When in the browser, sometimes its slow to scroll other times it's fine. The tablet will be updated to Jellybean at some point in the not to distant future, so that should make it a lot more bearable. It's a great price. Don't get the stock folio. It sucks. Get something else on amazon. 

Naturalist1
What's DOS?
Message 5 of 13

I bought mine on Craigslist several months ago and couldn't be happier with the choice.  I added it to my Verizon account to have the option of connecting via 4G LTE if necessary but use it primarily via wi-fi.  I'm sure the new quad core processors are a bit quicker, but I honestly don't think I wait at all for anything to load and videos play perfectly and instantly.  The screen is bright with great detail, the sound couldn't be better for general listning, and for Netflix, and Google Play movies (Google Play lets me buy and download, or rent and download movies for a month so I can watch them offline on flights or at my leisure)  there's always headphones if I'm not watching on my hdtv via hdmi.  The Xyboard comes with a great Quick Office app for Word Processing and more and compositions can be saved for editing, or attached to emails or printed to a wireless printer via the included printer app. Mine included the bluetooth keyboard and case which basically makes this a mini computer.  The virtual keyboard is fine for quick insertions (google querries, forms and the like) but the separate hard keyboard is more sure footed and doesn't eliminate most of the screen like the virtual one does.  Connecting to a usb card reader expands the memory up to 32 gigs more via sdhc and the onboard file manager handles file swaping from the card just fine (was told I would need to get another file manager and did so without trying the onboard one.  It didnt read my card so I tried the onboard one and voila.  Maybe an update took care of things).  Loading gmail and non gmail (MSN in my case) accounts is a snap.  I understand Motorola will shortly (I hope) be upgrading (at least the 4G LTE capable versions) to Jelly Bean and I can't imagine they won't eventually do the same for the wi-fi only tablets as well.  My Phone is and android (S3, would have been another Droid like my original Droid (which was great for it's day) but they didn't have anything to compete with the S3 at the time.  They do nowfrown).  Would I recommend it at today's discounted prices? Absolutely.  Do I think it's out-dated for anyone other than those needing the very latest tech? Ablolutely not.

JBass
Bit Torrent
Message 6 of 13

Naturalist1 said:

I bought mine on Craigslist several months ago and couldn't be happier with the choice. 

I added it to my Verizon account to have the option of connecting via 4G LTE if necessary but use it primarily via wi-fi.  I'm sure the new quad core processors are a bit quicker, but I honestly don't think I wait at all for anything to load and videos play perfectly and instantly.  The screen is bright with great detail, the sound couldn't be better for general listning, and for Netflix, and Google Play movies (Google Play lets me buy and download, or rent and download movies for a month so I can watch them offline on flights or at my leisure)  there's always headphones if I'm not watching on my hdtv via hdmi. 

The Xyboard comes with a great Quick Office app for Word Processing and more and compositions can be saved for editing, or attached to emails or printed to a wireless printer via the included printer app. Mine included the bluetooth keyboard and case which basically makes this a mini computer.  The virtual keyboard is fine for quick insertions (google querries, forms and the like) but the separate hard keyboard is more sure footed and doesn't eliminate most of the screen like the virtual one does. 

Connecting to a usb card reader expands the memory up to 32 gigs more via sdhc and the onboard file manager handles file swaping from the card just fine (was told I would need to get another file manager and did so without trying the onboard one.  It didnt read my card so I tried the onboard one and voila.  Maybe an update took care of things). 

Loading gmail and non gmail (MSN in my case) accounts is a snap.  I understand Motorola will shortly (I hope) be upgrading (at least the 4G LTE capable versions) to Jelly Bean and I can't imagine they won't eventually do the same for the wi-fi only tablets as well. 

My Phone is and android (S3, would have been another Droid like my original Droid (which was great for it's day) but they didn't have anything to compete with the S3 at the time.  They do nowfrown).  Would I recommend it at today's discounted prices? Absolutely.  Do I think it's out-dated for anyone other than those needing the very latest tech? Ablolutely not.

View original

Nice review ...

What did you pay for your XYboard?

I am seeing them locally for about $200 in the LTE versions

I am still a little concerned about durability given the post above yours.

Thanks ...cool

Nauuralist1
What's DOS?
Message 7 of 13

I think I paid about $300 for it about 4 or 5 months ago, but tthat included the blutooth keyboard and case/stand (which works great of you're doing a lot of WP).  At the time there were no 4G LTE units available except through Verizon at $400 plus 150 for the keyboard.  $200 seems like an amazing price for the unit itself. Mine seems to work just fine and almost never hangs up or needs to be restarted.  We got some cheap tablets for the grandkids to learn on for around $100 that are litttle more than toys compaired to the xyboard.  I just don't see anything else on the market that does anything more (other than being faster than "really fast") than the xyboard with ICS, and with the Jellybean upgrade it's going to be better yet.  Build quality seems very robust to me so far, and I seem to generally get the 8 hrl of battery life advertised.  I can watch a couple of downloaded Google Play movies on a flight with earphones (or the grandkids in the car headed to our vacation home) and still have plenty of battery life to check emails at the airport.  Mine's primarily for recreation, WP and information gathering from news apps and netflix documentaries. I'm not much for fiction books.  The real world is scary enough for me.wink I can Skype with it, and I'm going to (using Goolge Voice and another voip app) soon be able to call nationwide and (I think) in Canada) for free with a wifi connection.  Every day I still find things it will do that I didn't know about.  As soon as I figure it out, I'll also be able to wirelessly access files on my computer and view and display media on a TV via hdmi.  The possibilities just keep expanding.

Naturalist1
What's DOS?
Message 8 of 13

Just an update on what I was planning to do in the above comment.  I activated "Motocast" and am now able to wirelessly see all of the pictures and videos on the hard drive of my computer (and should be able to show them on a TV with a hdmi cord).  I have Google Voice on both my tablet and phone and by downloading two apps, (Tablet Voice on my xyboard and Spare phone on my S3 (both from the same vendor) I'm now able to make and receive free VOIP calls from either device anywhere in the US and Canada, and super low cost international calls  anywhere I can snag a Wi-Fi connection, or, in a pinch, with a G3 or G4 connection (you will need a gmail account when you sign up for it all to work.  I was able to get everything with a non-gmail account, but it didn't work and I had to remove everything and sign in with gmail before actually being able to connect calls).  I Skype with family members as well and am preparing to greatly curtail, or eliminate my smartphone plan.  I'll have to see if there's an equivalent app for my S3 that will let me view mediafiles on my computer wirelessly like I can with Motocast on the xyboard, but even if I could, the 10.1" screen is way better to display media than my phone.  I just don't know of a tablet out there that can do more, or even as much as the xyboard and is as easy to operate.

Not applicable
Message 9 of 13

Nice POST about MotoCast..thanks..I will give that a try also..

LOVE MY XYB's

Not applicable
Message 10 of 13

Kinda off topic..BTW..If you'all haven't tried "Next Launcher 3D"..I suggest do so..I have been running "Go Launcher" since upgraded from GingerBread to Ice Cream Sandwich..Go Launcher made my XYB's much more customizable, and pleasant..BUT..Next Launcher 3D brings much more life into, out of our XYB's..Especially with all the Kool live wallpapers..You will add more joy of using your device..

Your friend and fellow XYB'er..