Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gtavo
What's DOS?
Views: 1,227
Message 71 of 103

Re: XYBoard 10.1 Jelly Bean Waiting Room [Official]

Moderator (DocBrown): CAUTION - It is very risky to load anything to this tablet manually - Please read my reply post below for important details on risks and carefully weighing your options.

Good news everyone! I have successfully found a way to update to Jelly Bean! 

I had to go to hell and back to find a way to do it, but after days of researching, I finally found how to manually trigger and install the OTA update You do not need to reset your Xyboard, you don't need to be rooted, no mods or hacks are required, all you need is a computer running Windows and 20 minutes of your time. 

I can confirm the process works 100% if done properly, but I am not very familiar with the rules of this Motorola forum. So to keep any mods from deleting this post,  if you are interested in updating your tablet to 4.1.2, PM me and I will send you instructions. This will only work for the Verizon Motorola Xyboard 10.1 4G LTE. Check your model number in Settings > About Tablet > Model. It must say MZ617. 

I am not responsible for any damage you may do to your device. PM me and perform the manual update at your own risk. 

Cheers

docbrown1
Bit Torrent
Message 72 of 103

Gtavo said:

I had to go to hell and back to find a way to do it, but after days of researching, I finally found how to manually trigger and install the OTA update You do not need to reset your Xyboard, you don't need to be rooted, no mods or hacks are required, all you need is a computer running Windows and 20 minutes of your time. 

I can confirm the process works 100% if done properly, but I am not very familiar with the rules of this Motorola forum. So to keep any mods from deleting this post,  if you are interested in updating your tablet to 4.1.2, PM me and I will send you instructions. This will only work for the Verizon Motorola Xyboard 10.1 4G LTE. Check your model number in Settings > About Tablet > Model. It must say MZ617. 

I am not responsible for any damage you may do to your device. PM me and perform the manual update at your own risk. 

Cheers

View original

@Gtavo (et al),

PLEASE READ THIS AND ACCEPT THE RISKS ASSOCIATED WITH LOADING ROMS FROM THIRD PARTIES BEFORE PROCEEDING

Motorola and Google do NOT provide any official ROMs for this device, since it is locked. The only ROMs available for the XYBoard have been procured by individuals or third party sites and do NOT include the onboard firmware and drivers (servicing reloads all of these). I have had FOUR different XYBoard owners load one of these unofficial ROMs via RSD recently and all of them ended up with WiFi and BT stability issues that could not be fixed without Motorola Servicing (which is NOT covered under warranty or the official update fix).

Motorola and Google have offered to cover these update issues to ensure your XYBoard is updated to the official image of Android 4.1.2. If you manually load anything to your XYBoard, you are essentially turning down their offer to ensure your XYBoard is updated and stable.

That said, is it really worth taking the long term risk by turning down their offer just to save a week of down time?

Even Biff Tannen wouldn't fall for that!   surprise

Please feel free to PM with any additional questions or concerns you might have that will help you make an INFORMED decision.

-Doc

docbrown1
Bit Torrent
Message 73 of 103

TimmyO said:

I'll ask again since I never got a reply when I asked this back in November...

Do we have an actual non-laughable answer from Moto yet on why the WiFi only version is not getting the upgrade?  I'm pretty ticked off I paid full retail ($599) for a tablet that was newer than the Xoom (heck the Xoom was 250-300 at the time I bought my Xyboard) and the Xoom is getting the upgrade?  

This WILL BE the last Moto product I buy if it does not get the upgrade.  The lack of an upgrade for the IDENTICAL tablet (other than not having the 4G radio) does not pass the smell test!

View original

Hello TimmyO,

According to Motorola's official upgrade page (Linked Here), the WiFi XYBoard (model MZ615) will remain on ICS (Android 4.0.4). Perhaps this will not be their final decision (IDK), but it appears to be the current direction (unless I missed something). I cannot tell you any rational reason if this is the case, since volunteer XPRT moderators (like myself) don't know any more about Motorola's or Google's upgrade plans than you do. Although history has proven it is more common for the industry to update WiFi versions of Android devices beyond the versions for the same provider-based models (upsetting those owners), this type of decision is not unheard of.

I also know that two different MZ615 (WiFi) owners tried to manually load an unofficial copy of the Verizon XYBoard 4.1.2 update and ended up bricking their tablets, so I would not suggest anyone else attempt to do that.

As an owner of both XYBoard versions myself, I share your disappointment, though the actual experience has been very similar to other brands of Android products I have owned. I wish the Android ecosystem would mature to a level where version updates were common across various brands of devices, mostly relying only on local drivers to enable support, provided the hardware was sufficient (similar to Windows).

-Doc

thomas1224
What's DOS?
Message 74 of 103

Gtavo said:

Moderator (DocBrown): CAUTION - It is very risky to load anything to this tablet manually - Please read my reply post below for important details on risks and carefully weighing your options.

Cheers

View original

Since I was getting nowhere with Motorola I decided to give this a try. I went by the instructions and everything was done in 15 minutes without a hitch. This is now my old tablet that I will rarely use so it didn't matter. I don't use the Verizon service to test but everything else is working great. Seems to run a bit smoother also. Now I'm not saying to try this but for my situation it was fine. Just letting everyone know that it does work. I might have been hesitant to try it if this was my only tablet.  Like it says, update at your own risk.  

My 2 cents.

MOFIT
What's DOS?
Message 75 of 103

Doc I sent a reply the other day but haven't heard back from you. I'm sure your busy but I would really like to get the update we have quite a few of these tablets and none of them have received the update. Just a general question/statement what is making this such a pita to get these tablets updated?

docbrown1
Bit Torrent
Message 76 of 103

MOFIT said:

Doc I sent a reply the other day but haven't heard back from you. I'm sure your busy but I would really like to get the update we have quite a few of these tablets and none of them have received the update. Just a general question/statement what is making this such a pita to get these tablets updated?

View original

@MOFIT,

Sorry for the brief delay, I just replied to your PM. Please review the explanation and next steps and let me know if you have any additional questions.

-Doc

MOFIT
What's DOS?
Message 77 of 103

Hey doc thanks for the reply but as I just mentioned to you in the pm we have 50 of these things just for our sales team what else can we do to get these fixed. My company will lose all hope for motorola and i dont want that to happen.

Eddie_Solisjr
What's DOS?
Message 78 of 103

Doc I never got a RMA#.  I was told I would receive an email that would have instructions and that the Box to turn it in would be shipped to my address that I gave them.  I was on the phone with them awhile and was even rudely hung up on once.  I am really disappointed with the customer support after I have been nothing but a avid Motorola customer.  I have had the Droid X the Droid Razr and now the droid razr maxx HD.  I have the Motoactv which support was dropped for and Now I cant get any help Updating this thing which I like a lot.  I appreciate your help and hope that I can get this thing updated with your help.  Again thank you.

docbrown1
Bit Torrent
Message 79 of 103

MOFIT said:

Hey doc thanks for the reply but as I just mentioned to you in the pm we have 50 of these things just for our sales team what else can we do to get these fixed. My company will lose all hope for motorola and i dont want that to happen.

View original

@MOFIT,

That's certainly not the norm for upgrade issues, it sounds like you have something else going on. Please see my PM reply for additional (private) information, so I can see if you have something unique.

-Doc

docbrown1
Bit Torrent
Message 80 of 103

Eddie.Solisjr said:

Doc I never got a RMA#.  I was told I would receive an email that would have instructions and that the Box to turn it in would be shipped to my address that I gave them.  I was on the phone with them awhile and was even rudely hung up on once.  I am really disappointed with the customer support after I have been nothing but a avid Motorola customer.  I have had the Droid X the Droid Razr and now the droid razr maxx HD.  I have the Motoactv which support was dropped for and Now I cant get any help Updating this thing which I like a lot.  I appreciate your help and hope that I can get this thing updated with your help.  Again thank you.

View original

@Eddie.Solisjr,

I am sorry you had issues obtaining an RMA from servicing. This has not been the norm (IMHO) and certainly not the experience Motorola (or Google) intend you to have. After all, they have made this investment to ensure that all Verizon XYBoards are updated to a fully stock stable and state. I seriously doubt they want to tarnish that experience. Let me pass along your details and see if my contacts at Motorola can straighten it out.

Since you don't have an RMA yet, could you please send me a PM with your personal details so I can have someone contact you?

-Doc