cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cueball
What's DOS?
Views: 2,653
Message 1 of 31

Xyboard 10.1 wifi. Solution to won't charge issue?

I've got a wifi only Xyboard 10.1 that has in the last couple of weeks developed the won't charge issue.  I've read through the forums and some say it's the battery.  It seems to be a micro usb port issue in my case at least.  I can prop the cord just so and get a charging indication but it never seems to charge in actuality, rarely going above 30%.  I've seen some here who've had this issue.  What resolution have you found for this problem?  I've sent an e-mail to the support folks but until I hear back I'd like to do a little head scratching .  What say you all?

KOLIO
Token Ring
Message 2 of 31

Re: Xyboard 10.1 wifi. Solution to won't charge issue?

Try the on-line chat support.I've had nothing less than 100% satisfaction when going this route w/hardware issues,or any issues for that matter.Other companies could take a cue from MOTOROLA in customer care,IMHO.
Cueball
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 31

That would certainly have been my first choice but they've gone home for the dayUndecided  There's always tomorrow and I don't really think a few hours wait for an email reply will do me irreparable harm. I still have my Kindle and Razr MaxxWink

KOLIO
Token Ring
Message 4 of 31

Cool,please keep us posted on your progress/results.
docbrown1
Bit Torrent
Message 5 of 31

I've got a wifi only Xyboard 10.1 that has in the last couple of weeks developed the won't charge issue.  I've read through the forums and some say it's the battery.  It seems to be a micro usb port issue in my case at least.  I can prop the cord just so and get a charging indication but it never seems to charge in actuality, rarely going above 30%.  I've seen some here who've had this issue.  What resolution have you found for this problem?  I've sent an e-mail to the support folks but until I hear back I'd like to do a little head scratching .  What say you all?

Hello Cueball,

I have experienced this same issue with a third party mini-USB charger and a Motorola charger that went south on me. In both cases, I think the Amperage dropped below a point that could charge the battery above a certain level. Have you tried a replacement AC adapter (name brand or same specs) or using a dock? I bought an XYBoard HD dock and a new AC adapter on Amazon and now my XYBoard charges just as fast as when it was new (and even faster on the HD dock).

-Doc

Cueball
What's DOS?
Message 6 of 31

I actually ordered a new charger from motorola and have the same inability to charge. It did get a full charge one time from the way the micro usb was inserted so i'm convinced it's a fit and tolerance issue. Customer service sent me a box so it goes in for repair today. We'll see what yappens when it's returned. On the dock or third party charger issue, I expect the charger that came with it to do the job and if it doesn't I'm certainly not willing to pay out more money for another possibly poorly engineered device. I feel like your suggestion is like, "Buy this and buy that", but it doesn't address the underlying more important issue. A device that should work with it's own accessories without need for third party solutions. I'm giving Motorola the benefit of my trust to correct this problem. Either a redesign of the travel charger or of the micro usb port, assuming that is the root problem and not the battery as has been discussed in other topics. Rest assured that whatever the outcome I'll keep you all advised. Stay tuned! :-)
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 7 of 31

Cueball, I think you got doc Brown's comments incorrect. He was just stating what he has done. If your tablet is broken than of course if it's under a warranty it should be fixed. When it comes to charging problems there is only a few things that can cause this to happen. I have had to replace my Motorola chargers from time to time since I seem to wear them out. I hope your tablet gets back to you as good as new.
Cueball
What's DOS?
Message 8 of 31

No, my only point is that it shouldn't be necessary. I expect better engineering from Motorola. My last 4 phones have been Motorola products and all of them including their chargers are still fully functional. My tablet is only a few months old however and it's not reasonable to to even consider a third party solution yet or a more expensive and less portable charging solution. The lack ofportability is why i generally don't consider the dock solution. Believe me, I got Doc's point. :-)
docbrown1
Bit Torrent
Message 9 of 31

Cueball said:

No, my only point is that it shouldn't be necessary. I expect better engineering from Motorola. My last 4 phones have been Motorola products and all of them including their chargers are still fully functional. My tablet is only a few months old however and it's not reasonable to to even consider a third party solution yet or a more expensive and less portable charging solution. The lack ofportability is why i generally don't consider the dock solution. Believe me, I got Doc's point. :-)

@Cueball,

My main point was that all chargers can fail and many third party chargers are known to be low on amperage, but not actually fail. In your posts, you don't mention what you are using to charge your XYBoard, just that it was the USB port (which is every charging method). My Motorola charger dropped the amperage output after an electrical storm, but it can happen as chargers age as well. I may be the exception to the rule, but I like to have spare chargers on hand for the many USB charging devices I currently own. The dock was an added bonus with XYBoard, since it launches specific apps, not an option with my other Xoom tablets.

I also agree with Eagle328, if your tablet requires servicing to fix your issue, then you should always get it fixed under the warranty. I just wanted to be sure it was not returned due to a third party adapter issue instead (if it charges at the service center).

-Doc

KOLIO
Token Ring
Message 10 of 31

I'd bet money that it's a USB port issue w/the tablet & not the charger.
Just got my XYBOARD back from MOTOROLA for warranty service for this issue.

Now, the original charger fits snugly w/the tablet.
Total turn around time from initial contact w/MOTOROLA via Chat to the return of my XYBOARD was only four business days.
EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE & a big THX to all involved w/the quick servicing of my XYBOARD.