cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AZElbow
What's DOS?
Views: 517
Message 21 of 31

Re: Xyboard 10.1 wifi. Solution to won't charge issue?

My XYBoard 10.1 has a loose usb charging port. For seven months I was able to get it to charge by giggling the charger cord until the charger indicated that a connection was made.

I am no longer able to that so my tablet is so dead that I only get the three red lights.

This is my question: Is the Motorola dock for the XYBoard 10.1 a work-around for the loose port?
docbrown1
Bit Torrent
Message 22 of 31

AZElbow said:

My XYBoard 10.1 has a loose usb charging port. For seven months I was able to get it to charge by giggling the charger cord until the charger indicated that a connection was made. I am no longer able to that so my tablet is so dead that I only get the three red lights. This is my question: Is the Motorola dock for the XYBoard 10.1 a work-around for the loose port?View original

Hello AZElbow,

The question is whether your charging issue is due to the connector on your charger cable or the port along the edge of your XYBoard. The two connectors on the dock include the mini USB and HDMI ports on the XYBoard, with the charging through the same USB port. If the port on your XYBoard is a bit loose, but still intact, it is possible that the dock will resolve your charging issues. If you want to give it a try, Amazon is selling the XYBoard dock for $18.99 with free shipping for Prime members (http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Dock-Charger-Smartphones-Tablets/dp/B006CDABDK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid...).

-Doc

AZElbow
What's DOS?
Message 23 of 31

docbrown said:

AZElbow said:

My XYBoard 10.1 has a loose usb charging port. For seven months I was able to get it to charge by giggling the charger cord until the charger indicated that a connection was made. I am no longer able to that so my tablet is so dead that I only get the three red lights. This is my question: Is the Motorola dock for the XYBoard 10.1 a work-around for the loose port?View original

Hello AZElbow,

The question is whether your charging issue is due to the connector on your charger cable or the port along the edge of your XYBoard. The two connectors on the dock include the mini USB and HDMI ports on the XYBoard, with the charging through the same USB port. If the port on your XYBoard is a bit loose, but still intact, it is possible that the dock will resolve your charging issues. If you want to give it a try, Amazon is selling the XYBoard dock for $18.99 with free shipping for Prime members (http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Dock-Charger-Smartphones-Tablets/dp/B006CDABDK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid...).

-Doc

View original

The docking station doesn't work.  Confirmed that my unit is recertified so Motorola has said they will not treat it as a warranty claim.  This is an unacceptable answer.  When I researched the XYBoard I never thought to check of the Motorola parts and/or manufacturing process was so poor that in a matter of a few months the unit couuld not be charged and would be useless.  I equate it to an automaker just walking away from the fact that a new car does not start unless you give them more money.  I have been quoted over $200 for the repair from Motorola.  My local iPhone repair shop has told me they attempted this repair in the past and could not get the parts.  An online repair shop that I know nothing about has quoted $99 and I have no reason to believe they can fix the unit or that they will even return my unit.

What have some of the many others in my shoes done other than walk await from a couple of houndred dollars mistrusted in a Motorola tablet?

plumbgreen
What's DOS?
Message 24 of 31

I have the same problem to it to a android pad repair shop and they cant find the part either. they tried to blame it on the wrong charger at first so I bought the dock and took it to them . now they say they can't fink the part. I have two more of these bookends that thankfully were under warranty when this same thing happened. I will no longer be buying motorola with this same recharging plug.

Naturalist1
What's DOS?
Message 25 of 31

I just ordered the 90 degree adapter from Amazon, Kolio.  Thanks for the heads up.  The less the adapter sticks out at the bottom the better.  I tire of holding my Xyboard away from my belly in bed so as not to stress the adapter while charging and using at the same time. In my opinion this is the single most acccident prone feature on an otherwise robust platform.  Some usb adapters have longer shafts as the actual recepters are recessed somewhat, protecting them more accidental bending of both the adapter end and the receptor.  I had my S3 connected to a usb car adapter, forgot it was and exited the car with enough force to irreparably damage the adapter without damaging the S3 recepter as it is well recessed inside the case..  Also, and I recommend this as a last resort B/4 replacing the usb/hdmi cord (mentioned in another thread about charging difficuties), I once, on an original Droid phone, actually pinched the recepter housing together to cerate a tighter fit.  As I recall, I used a very thin flathead screwdriver wedged between the outside of the receptor housing (on the side where there's a joint in the otherwise continuous metal housing) and bent it inward to make a tighter fit.  Worked great and charging and connecting to a computer were no longer an issue.  I'm anxious to try the adapter with my keyboard and portfolio as it in nice to keep the tablet charged while doing word processing.  Thanks, again.

AZrowdster
What's DOS?
Message 26 of 31

I'm another guy with a xyboard that won't charge.  I bought the dock from Amazon and that didn't work.  The problem is definitely the charging port.  I'm NOT going to pay $200 to get it fixed.  The video on youtube is great showing how to  take the tablet apart to change the port.  My question is if Motorola won't sell me the port where do I buy one?

Naturalist1
What's DOS?
Message 27 of 31

AZrowdster: I saw the pic of the part posted by NWKENT with no info as to
part # or availability. I just tried to post a long reply to your problem
about how to fix a loose fitting receptor. It took too long, I was timed
out and lost the whole thing. If this is your problem email me back and I
will repeat it for you. Thanks, Dave
Naturalist1
What's DOS?
Message 28 of 31

I just received my 90 degree micro USB dongle in the mail this afternoon.  It would have been nice if it made the turn  in less length and didn't still stick out so far, but at least there's no cord sticking straight down and the connection feels a bit more robust.  I hooked up the cable with the tablet in the leather case with the keyboard and it's much more secure sitting on the desk than with the pressure directly on the cord as well.  As I pointed out above, I wrote a lengthy note about fixing the loose receptor that didn't make it here.  I decided to rewrite it (edited) in note on the xyboard and sent it to my email address so I could cut and paste it.  Here it is oops, no cut and paste here.  I'll figure out how to post it later.

docbrown1
Bit Torrent
Message 29 of 31

Naturalist1 said:

I just received my 90 degree micro USB dongle in the mail this afternoon.  It would have been nice if it made the turn  in less length and didn't still stick out so far, but at least there's no cord sticking straight down and the connection feels a bit more robust.  I hooked up the cable with the tablet in the leather case with the keyboard and it's much more secure sitting on the desk than with the pressure directly on the cord as well.  As I pointed out above, I wrote a lengthy note about fixing the loose receptor that didn't make it here.  I decided to rewrite it (edited) in note on the xyboard and sent it to my email address so I could cut and paste it.  Here it is oops, no cut and paste here.  I'll figure out how to post it later.

View original

Hello Naturalist1,

You can paste text from Word in this window, it is the far right button on the toolbar above. I have also been able to cut and paste text from other apps into this window under the Windows OS, but not under Android. Another option is to place your document somewhere public on the web and then link to it here. Sounds like it could be useful to other members with this issue, so I hope you can find a way to share it.

-Doc

Naturalist1
What's DOS?
Message 30 of 31

OK.  I was able to paste my repair tip here. I don't know if this will help anyone from throwing away or incurring a hefty service charge for no good reason or not.  but if you're having charging issues or can't connect to a computer and your cable adapter is fitting loosely into the receptor, it's worth a try.  If you're careful you won't hurt anything that isn't already damaged and just might resolve your problem.

Repairing integrity of a micro USB cable receptor

This procedure is intended to reestablish the shroud ground of any micro USB cable receptor if it becomes damaged due to stress bending resulting from pressure placed on it when the adapter is accidentally struck while engaged.  Chargers and cables can be easily and cheaply replaced.  the receptor, however, if it is damaged, may cost more to replace. than the device is worth.  Oftentimes the problem is one that can be repaired without the need of a service technician.  The ground for a usb cable of any kind is the shroud that encases the pin connectors inside.  If the receptor shroud becomes bent to the point where it becomes loose enough that a poor or no connection is made with the adapter cable connector, no charging or computer connection is possible.  Commonly this is the result of the spreading of shroud on the bottom side (flat side as seen from the front on the xyboard 10.1 and facing the backside of the unit) where there is a seam in it (you might need a magnifying glass to see the split in the shroud).  There are two prongs on the underside (again flat side) of the cable tip that put pressure on the shroud as it is inserted, momentarily forcing the seam apart.  Once inserted (the cable tip should "snap" into place) as the receptor shroud springs back closed at the seam to help make a good contact between the receptor shroud and the adapter cable tip shroud insuring a good ground.  When bent due to stress, as stated above, the contact is insufficient to create a good ground. 

Solution:  Carefully insert a thin, narrow flathead screwdriver (less than 1/2 the width of the flat,  split, side of the receptor shroud) 1/4" deep between the outside of the shroud and the device that surrounds it.  Please note, I wrote "outside".  Never place anything "inside" the receptor.  Slide the screwdriver to either edge of the shroud (the tip of the screwdriver closest to the middle of the shroud should be just shy of the middle so that the screwdriver is only on one side of the split in the shroud) and twist the screwdriver in the direction that will lift the side of the screwdriver that faces the center, bending the shroud inward.  Do this lightly!  Slide the screwdriver to the other side of the shroud and repeat.  Test to see if the connection is tighter.  Repeat as many times as it takes for the connection to feel as tight as when new.  If that was your only problem, the device should now charge and connect like new.  If not, the loose connection wasn't the only problem.  Possibly it was loose enough, long enough to damage the pin connections inside the receptor.  If it is only the pins in the cable tip, a new charger or charger dock might do the trick.  I used this technique on a droid phone that wouldn't charge and it worked like a charm.  Just remember to start out slowly and you'll determine how much twist pressure is necessary to bend the shroud back into place.  It will take 1/4 the time than it took to read this and might save. you from throwing away an otherwise good device.