Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rich13
What's DOS?
Views: 450
Message 61 of 92

Re: Xyboard will not boot

Seasons Greetings Rich,

I am sorry to hear about all the problems you have had getting your tablet fixed. This is a new process at the Service Center, stood up just for the customers experiencing update issues (which has been a tiny fraction of the total updates). That is why I asked those affected to PM me, so I can ensure they did everything necessary before choosing the servicing route (I resolved many by walking through other steps).

For those that require servicing, I have asked everyone to send me their RMA so I can work with my Motorola contacts (like Matt) to ensure things go smoothly. You can certainly send it in on your own (anyone can), but I volunteer my time here to help everyone get a better Customer Experience, by helping to communicate and track issues here on the forums. So far, the majority of these RMAs have gone well, but there have been two exceptions (yours is one of those). Despite our best efforts, a new servicing process like this can still have issues unfortunately.

What did the service ticket indicate they did? I would try a Factory Reset and wait 48 hours to see if they re-flashed you to ICS and the update will be recognized by the OTA servers now. If not, I would be glad to work directly with Motorola to help you sort this out and get it updated. I am always willing to help, the choice is yours.

-Doc

View original

Please understand that the majority of my frustration is with Motorola directly and not with you.

Beyond preventing the problem from occurring in the first place, Motorola itself should have at least as much knowledge about their own product as you, and should have directly disseminated that information  in a useful way to its public-facing employees as well as the public.  Of course problems like this can arise, and they should have been better prepared for that contingency.  In other words, they should have already had the process in place, and everyone there should have been prepared to implement it.  Further, they are unsuccessful in providing a reasonable volume of support, resulting in abominable hold times (I made 4 total calls to them, none were answered in under 15 minutes at various times of day.)   Motorola has been around for a long time, long enough to have figured these types of issues out several times over.

If you're only a volunteer, then Motorola owes you a debt of gratitude, if for nothing else than for being a better representative of Motorola than their actual employees.  You're knowledgeable, and have been responsive and professional.  For that I thank you.

As to ICS, thank you again, but at this point I'll do without.  I was happy with the tablet before the upgrade was offered, and I'm not giving Motorola another opportunity to drop the ball.  I'll use the tablet as is, and when it becomes obsolete I'll buy a new one.  It will be from a different manufacturer.

And Happy New Year!

- Rich

docbrown1
Bit Torrent
Message 62 of 92

Rich,

I understand and sympathize with your your frustration, I seriously doubt Motorola (nor Google) intend you to feel that way. Do understand that this update followed the normal testing cycles (by Google, Motorola, Verizon and user testing) before being released to the public. Despite those testing efforts, this issue was not seen because it affects a very small percentage of owners (less than 1% from what I have seen). This is also not an uncommon situation for the industry (such as the Asus tablets being bricked a couple years ago by an update). As I have said before, I think this is the type of issue systemic to the Android Ecosystem and how Google and the hardware OEM manages the creation of hardware-specific images that interface to different drivers. The Android industry as a whole keep communications minimal around issues, though the Google development web site shares (publicly) thousands of open Android defects across all manufacturers at any given time. At the moment, that seems to be the cost of an open architecture platform (IMHO).

However, that doesn't excuse long wait times or slow servicing at Motorola. Again, I doubt that is the intended customer experience. Given the Christmas season and the surge of electronics sales, I would bet that there are peak calling times that are affecting the Service Centers and causing the long call queues. They do have online chat and other support options, I don't know if those are any more responsive or prompt during peak times.

I do volunteer my time to help consumers here, as all of the Moto XPRTS do. Our intent is to facilitate (and moderate) peer to peer user support discussions and help customers get the most from their products. That includes escalating issues and providing feedback to help Motorola (and Google) better understand the end user experience. I know they are monitoring the call center wait times and working to improve the servicing and provide better first-call resolution.

If you wait a while for this new XYBoard servicing process to become a bit more mature, perhaps you might think about updating your tablet later? I hate to see anyone miss out on updating their tablet to the latest Android OS, which adds value to the product overall, even if you decide to pass it on to someone else. I am a consumer just like you (I own five tablets for all of my family) and I have owned every major brand of electronics out there. I have not found a perfect company yet, but I still get the most from my investments and keep them current, those are always my core expectations. In this circumstance, at least Motorola (and Google) are handling the servicing for this issue to ensure that every Verizon XYBoard is updated to Android 4.1.2, regardless of the warranty. Why not take advantage of that offer as an owner?

I appreciate your kind words and your contributions to our online forum. I hope you also have an enjoyable and prosperous New Year.

-Doc

DroidudeAZ
SCSI Port
Message 63 of 92

After 2 trips to Motorola, my Xyboard 10.1 is running smoothly on Jelly Bean 4.1.2. Special thanks to DOC BROWN for all your help. My tablet is much more functional on 4.1.2 now. Proof that a little patience can go a long way. 

docbrown1
Bit Torrent
Message 64 of 92

DroidudeAZ said:

After 2 trips to Motorola, my Xyboard 10.1 is running smoothly on Jelly Bean 4.1.2. Special thanks to DOC BROWN for all your help. My tablet is much more functional on 4.1.2 now. Proof that a little patience can go a long way. 

View original

@DroidudeAZ,

You are always welcome for any assistance I can provide, I am glad we got your issues resolved and updated.

-Doc

Bafooya
What's DOS?
Message 65 of 92

Doc, I sent you a PM, just wanted to see about getting jellybean to my xyboard, thanx...

docbrown1
Bit Torrent
Message 66 of 92

Bafooya said:

Doc, I sent you a PM, just wanted to see about getting jellybean to my xyboard, thanx...

View original

Hello Bafooya,

Sorry you have had issues getting the OTA update to 4.1.2 to download. The first step to try is rebooting the tablet by powering off and back on, then wait 48+ hours for the OTA servers to cycle. If that does not work, the next step is a Factory Reset (caution - this will erase all apps and data on the tablet, so be sure to backup any data first). After the FR, you should wait the 48+ hours for the OTA server cycle to complete.

If neither of those work for you, then it is likely that the OTA servers are not recognizing your tablet as having a complete or healthy current Android image. In that situation, I can provide additional assistance via PM to get your tablet re-flashed and updated.

Please try the first set of steps above and let me know if you still do not receive the update.

-Doc

Bafooya
What's DOS?
Message 67 of 92

Doc,

My board is not rooted and has the stock image on it.  I've power cycled and waited the 48 hours and nothing.  I'm unable to factory reset the tablet right now as I have apps installed that my company manages.  I'll post back once I find my IT guy. Thanx. 

docbrown1
Bit Torrent
Message 68 of 92

Bafooya said:

Doc,

My board is not rooted and has the stock image on it.  I've power cycled and waited the 48 hours and nothing.  I'm unable to factory reset the tablet right now as I have apps installed that my company manages.  I'll post back once I find my IT guy. Thanx. 

View original

@Bafooya,

Sounds like a plan. If the Factory Reset does not work, it is likely that you will need to have the tablet re-flashed, which will also require the reloading of your company's apps and data (so you might want to let your IT guy know that as well).

-Doc

jdh1550
What's DOS?
Message 69 of 92

Hi Doc,

I ran the Jelly Bean update today on my tablet. Now it won't start up. The M logo comes up, but nothing after that. I have been in contact with tech support and went thru the steps of wiping the cache and rebooting with no success. I also have tried doing the factory wipe and reboot. Still no success. I had purchased the tablet refurbished with the promise of a warranty. Motorola has informed me the warranty does not exist and cannot guarantee the tablet can be restored. Any thoughts? I attempted to PM you, but haven't been successful with that either! Any thoughts?

Thanks!

NosTek
What's DOS?
Message 70 of 92

So my update failed and bricked my tablet months ago, I was able to reset to factory settings with the help of my google fu and to my surprise this morning the update is back! Is this the same update or a fixed one that wont brick my device again?