Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
benjamin19
What's DOS?
Views: 186
Message 11 of 13

Re: droid xyboard 10.1 random screen refresh

DroidJava said:

I believe I found a solution for my issue of the screen refreshing. I no longer have an active data plan for my Xyboard so I decided to remove the SIM card (also turned data off) and for whatever reason, that seems to have stopped the screen refreshing.  Just fyi.

View original

Just tried this, and one day in it seems to fix my issues as well.  Do you think this is an issue with the sim card itself?  Do you think it's more likely an issue with the network or just a couple of rogue sim cards?

Asilmot
What's DOS?
Message 12 of 13

Well for me, I noticed that my issues started once I disabled data, I tried the factory reset and other possible fixes but once I enabled data, the issue seemed to stop. Then, when I decided to no longer have a data plan for the tablet, the problems returned. So after looking a little deeper into the tablet/OS, I came to the conclusion that as long as there is a SIM card inserted in the device, it would constantly check for a data connection even if you disabled data on the device. Now, this very possibly could be caused by faulty SIM cards or an issues within android OS / ICS / some app that is installed. I've thought  about trying to pinpoint the issue but honestly, I don't plan to add data back to this device and since JB 4.1 is in the works for Xyboard, not sure if its worth the effort.  I would be curious to know if others had the same situation as me, with data enabled and and active data plan, no issue, With data disabled and no active data plan and SIM card inserted, screen refresh issues. By the way, I very glad to hear that this might have helped you with your screen refresh issues.

docbrown1
Bit Torrent
Message 13 of 13

DroidJava said:

Well for me, I noticed that my issues started once I disabled data, I tried the factory reset and other possible fixes but once I enabled data, the issue seemed to stop. Then, when I decided to no longer have a data plan for the tablet, the problems returned. So after looking a little deeper into the tablet/OS, I came to the conclusion that as long as there is a SIM card inserted in the device, it would constantly check for a data connection even if you disabled data on the device. Now, this very possibly could be caused by faulty SIM cards or an issues within android OS / ICS / some app that is installed. I've thought  about trying to pinpoint the issue but honestly, I don't plan to add data back to this device and since JB 4.1 is in the works for Xyboard, not sure if its worth the effort.  I would be curious to know if others had the same situation as me, with data enabled and and active data plan, no issue, With data disabled and no active data plan and SIM card inserted, screen refresh issues. By the way, I very glad to hear that this might have helped you with your screen refresh issues.

View original

Hello DroidJava,

I think it is always good practice to remove SIM cards from any 3G/4G/LTE device that no longer has a data plan. This is not as common with phones, since the majority of customers don't desire a WiFi-only phone. However, turning a tablet with a previous data plan into a WiFi device is quite common these days and that's why these types of issues are mainly affecting tablets. The issue appears to be the active 3G/4G/LTE radios when the SIM is present, which can cause them to track and seek nearby cell signals, degrading performance and wasting precious cpu bandwidth (even if you turn off the data connectivity). As you state, this could be a likely cause for your screen refreshes. I have the 4G/LTE model XYBoard, but have always run it without a SIM (WiFi only).

-Doc