Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Indygg
What's DOS?
Views: 45
Message 1 of 11

Battery life

Mind you, this is only first day impression.

But it seems shorter than its projects 6 hours on actual use.  

I went from 100% to 70% in less than 90 minutes.  Projecting that, it would be 10% in 4.5 hours.  

Additionally, I turned it off at 70% and was still at less then 90 minutes when I went to bed.  Woke up at 60%.  

Is this similar to others?

Can I expect it to get any better after a few discharges?

Other info - I had brightness at 25% or less, all of which is too bright (see my other post)

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 2 of 11

Re: Battery life

Battery life will improve slightly over time. It will take a week or two to fully acclimate, but your battery readings do sound about right if watching movies or playing games.

When you say you turned it off, do you mean put the device to sleep, or actually power it down? It shouldn't be losing battery life at all when off.

If you lost 10% when it was in "sleep" mode, I'd recommend making use your notifications are off and the volume is off. I did that accidentally, when a new e-mail came it, it just kept flashing until I caught it the next day and that did zap a chunk of battery

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 3 of 11

I must say that I'm impressed with the battery life so far, on my Xyboard.

I'm on Skype, and do heavy e-mailing, with a bit of audio throwen in there, and I don't have any complaints over all.

VicMatson
Fanfold Paper
Message 4 of 11

If there were a widget that would switch from Lte to CDMA it would cure most of the battery issues especially when not in an Lte area.

And yes I know it can be done in settings, but thats a PITA.

bigach
What's DOS?
Message 5 of 11

10.1 here

LTE is definitely a killer...

If I'm not in a wifi zone and I'm doing some e-mails and web browsing, I just have my mobile network set to CDMA by default which is plenty fast (only really need LTE for video streaming - so I switch then if needed).

Also, I keep mobile network off at all times from the settings when not using it or when using wifi...

Whats your brightness setting on?  I have mine on 30%...  and get really awesome battery life and usually get very close to the 10 hour window motorola is claiming!

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 6 of 11

You may want to see if a location based app like Llama (here:  https://market.android.com/details?id=com.kebab.Llama&hl=en) or Tasker (here:  https://market.android.com/details?id=net.dinglisch.android.taskerm&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGw...) can automate turning your LTE and/or WiFi on and off when you expect to be in certain places.

For example, on my phone I have Llama turn my cellular data off and turn WiFi on once I get to work.  When I leave work it will turn WiFi off and cellular data back on until I get home (where Llama will trigger the WiFi to turn on again and the cellular data to turn off).  

• Llama is based on phone masts, so it does not use extra battery searching for GPS locations....whatever cellular tower you are connected to will trigger the Llama events.  Note:  if one cell tower services two locations where you wish to have events trigger, it will not work.  

Personally, I like Llama because it is easier to use.  Tasker may be more robust though....but the user interface isn't nearly as user-friendly as Llama, IMO.

Comment in the spirit of COMMUNITY: "Share experiences / expertise, engage in the discussions, and offer advice and suggestions."
VicMatson
Fanfold Paper
Message 7 of 11

eaccents said:

You may want to see if a location based app like Llama (here:  https://market.android.com/details?id=com.kebab.Llama&hl=en) or Tasker (here:  https://market.android.com/details?id=net.dinglisch.android.taskerm&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGw...) can automate turning your LTE and/or WiFi on and off when you expect to be in certain places.

For example, on my phone I have Llama turn my cellular data off and turn WiFi on once I get to work.  When I leave work it will turn WiFi off and cellular data back on until I get home (where Llama will trigger the WiFi to turn on again and the cellular data to turn off).  

• Llama is based on phone masts, so it does not use extra battery searching for GPS locations....whatever cellular tower you are connected to will trigger the Llama events.  Note:  if one cell tower services two locations where you wish to have events trigger, it will not work.  

Personally, I like Llama because it is easier to use.  Tasker may be more robust though....but the user interface isn't nearly as user-friendly as Llama, IMO.

Skip the app. the tablet does it, just turn WIFI on and when you leave it will go to celluler by itself. It's an Android thing!

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 8 of 11

But will the tablet turn wifi off when you are out of range? That would be where apps such as Tacker, and Llama would come into play. They are more for automation.

For example, I use tasker on my Photon for:

When I get home, my wifi turns on, and connects.

When I leave, wifi shut off.

I have my GPS only turn on when I open an app that I set to use GPS, then shuts off.

I have BT turn off after 3 minutes of not being connected to a BT device.

Plus a few more.....

Things like this will only add to your battery life.

This is why I ask if wifi will be turned off, or just stay on in the background?

Thanks,

J

VicMatson
Fanfold Paper
Message 9 of 11

Yes WIFI turns off and on automatically, again it's an Android thing. A lot of the apps in the market are usless, they aren't any smarter than the developers at Google.

Lte's radio will use a lot of power normally, but if you aren't in a "full bar" location it will be worse.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 10 of 11

VicMatson said:

Yes WIFI turns off and on automatically, again it's an Android thing. A lot of the apps in the market are usless, they aren't any smarter than the developers at Google.

Lte's radio will use a lot of power normally, but if you aren't in a "full bar" location it will be worse.

Forgive my ignorance, but how does WiFi know when to turn on again?  I know on an Android phone that the WiFi radio--if left on--will actively search for a WiFi connection....doesn't this active scan for available WiFi connections utilize battery resources?

Comment in the spirit of COMMUNITY: "Share experiences / expertise, engage in the discussions, and offer advice and suggestions."