Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gcopter1
What's DOS?
Views: 47
Message 1 of 7

First impressions

Yesterday, I received my Xyboard as an insurance replacement for my Xoom.
I definitely like the smaller size, lighter weight and louder speakers.
Other than that, it's pretty much like the Xoom, IMO.
Dis-likes;
No SD card slot.
No compatibility with previous SIM card for the Xoom (have to go to VZW and get one)

Asurion claims that my replacement Xyboard is a brand new unit, however, I suspect it is not and here's why.

My Xyboard did not had a SIM card place holder as per the instructions and the unit won't shut down.
When I press the power button to shut down the unit, and you have the charger connected, the unit will ask you if you want to shut down, I press Ok and the unit will go thru the displays that say that it is shutting down.
When it finishes shutting down, I noticed that the charging light won't come on. The next thing that happens is that the unit re starts itself.
If I remove the power supply and shut down the unit, it will stay off.
I wonder if this issue is software or hardware related, either way I'm already talking to Asurion to resolve the issue.
Hopefully someone here from Moto can tell me if a software update will fix this, otherwise I'll be on the lookout for the UPS truck again soon. 

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 2 of 7

Re: First impressions

Both of the new Xooms (and most new tablets) use the smaller SIM card.

Expandable storage is possible via the camera connection kit and a USB drive

There is no blank in the SIM slot like with the Xoom

The charging behavior you describe is the normal proper operation for the Xyboards

I hope this helps!
gcopter1
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 7

So you're saying that the charging behavior is normal? How can this be? Remember, it's just not that the unit will turn itself on as soon as the charger is connected (which I find weird), it's also the fact that precisely because of this, the indicator light for charging won't come on as it should.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 4 of 7

the charging light by design will not be on while the Xyboard is on, and the Xyboard will be on when it is connected to a power source. The only circumstance when the charging light will come on is if the Xyboard battery is at total zero and needs to charge a bit before it can turn on.

It's different from the Xoom. The documentation isn't very clear on this but your device is working correctly.
gcopter1
What's DOS?
Message 5 of 7

Ok. Do you have a Xyboard?
If you do, make sure it is powered down/off. Not asleep, but totally off. Now, plug in your charger. You then should only see the charging light come on in either white or green, to indicate that the battery is being charged or it is fully charged.
If I read you right, my unit will also turn itself on?
VZW "Start Here" Droid Xyboard start up guide, page 7;

"The charging light turns white during charging, then turns off when fully charged."
Ok, it will not turn green, grant you that, still mine didn't even turn white when plugged (even though the battery wasn't anywhere near 100% fully charged.
And I still find it odd that the tablet will turn itself on, from an off state, just because it has been plugged to the charger.
Unfortunately the documentation that came with the device is pretty sparse and does not answer my question. I'm getting on the phone right now to get a hold of a tech rep with Motorola. 

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 6 of 7

I have a Xoom, I've played with a Xyboard 8.2 (and my friend has one), and I have a Xyboard 10.1.

See my answer to this post:
https://forums.motorola.com/posts/165aaea6d4

As I've indicated, the documentation is misleading. If the battery is not at complete zero, even when the Xyboard is off, when you plug it in it will turn on, you'll never see the charging light come on. If the device it on, you plug it in, then turn it off, it will immediately re-start, and you will also never see the light.

As the post I referenced above indicates, the only time I ever got the charge light is when I drained the battery to complete 0%, then plugged it in. Even then, the light was only on for a few minutes until it had enough power to boot, then the light turned off and the device powered up.

You device is working correctly, it's the documentation that's unfortunately incorrect.

Motorola Admin Motorola Admin
Motorola Admin
Message 7 of 7

Here's some documentation that is correct. Cool

Includes:

When the device is powered off and the battery charger is inserted, the tablet will automatically power on. 

Tip: The tablet is designed to charge while powered on. When your tablet is powered off, and then plugged into the charger, the device will power on. This is normal behavior. Future software updates may change this so be sure to check for updates periodically.

Note: Charging LED comes on as a sign of life when the charger is connected to the tablet with 0% battery charge.

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!