Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Joycee
What's DOS?
Views: 581
Message 1 of 9

Lost Xyboard, no finder app installed

Can anyone help?  I lost my Xyboard (possibly stolen) and had not downloaded an app for finding it when lost.  I have now installed a finder app on my Droid 4 phone and my Samsung Galaxy Tab.  

HELP!  Is there an app that can be pushed without the tablet being in my possession?  I have been watching my VZW data usage and none has been used.  In fact, that is the reason I left the tablet with data connection active - hoping it might somehow help me find my tablet.  VZW was not able to help at all (technical help nor customer svc), and will replace my tablet, but it had my son's Basic Training ceremony recorded on the 32 GB memory card, which saddens me greatly!

Any ideas????

Thanks so much!

Joycee

docbrown1
Bit Torrent
Message 2 of 9

Re: Lost Xyboard, no finder app installed

Hello Joycee,

I am sorry to hear about your situation.If you have a Google account associated with the tablet, the first thing I would is try using Google's Device Manager to see if it can locate your tablet. Once you login with your Google account, all devices are listed and you can select which one to locate. Depending on your Android version and configuration, the utility may give you some additional options.

Here is the link to Device Manager: https://www.google.com/android/devicemanager

If that does not work, there are not many options left since you don't have any other utilities loaded. Unfortunately, it is not possible to force the loading of control apps to remote devices (without local access for installing) or it would allow other people to hijack secured devices.

I hope Device Manager can help you locate it at least (be VERY careful if you believe it has been stolen).

-Doc

Joycee
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 9

Wow!  thanks so much!  I have 4 devices on the device manager.  I don't know how I named them, omgeeee.  Only my Droid 4 showed me the location, so should I assume that is the only one on the vzw network at the moment?  

docbrown1
Bit Torrent
Message 4 of 9

Joycee said:

Wow!  thanks so much!  I have 4 devices on the device manager.  I don't know how I named them, omgeeee.  Only my Droid 4 showed me the location, so should I assume that is the only one on the vzw network at the moment?  

View original

@Joycee,

As far as determining which device is which, the "Last Used" date may help you determine which is the XYBoard if you know when it was last in your possession. Your other Android tablet (if on this same Google account) can also be ruled out by turning it on and searching each device to see which one it locates. Notice that you can rename each device in the tool so that you can recognize it next time.

Device Manager is not dependent on only the Verizon network, if a device can be reached by WiFi, then that connection will provide the position as well. The key whether the device (your XYBoard in this instance) is actually turned on and still communicating (provided the battery has not run out) and in range of Verizon or a public WiFi,. If it is, then Device Manager should be able to locate it. I find that sometimes "ringing" a device or polling it for status will eventually wake it up, but not always. Unfortunately, DM does not keep a history of locations for each device and only retains the last time you located the device using DM.

If you can't get it to respond right now, I would keep checking back (at least in the near term) to see if the tablet gets turned back on.

-Doc

Joycee
What's DOS?
Message 5 of 9

Doc,

Well, I was able to see from VZW online that my tablet was used, but not much so far.  The ADM has not found it, but it is great to be aware of!  I did figure out which device was which and renamed them. I am continuing to request the "ring" on my Xyboard, and praying the thief will feel convicted and return it.  VZW cannot tell the location of the device (which I find hard to believe), but they are no help. My deductible is $149 to replace through Asurion, which seems pretty high for a 2 year old tablet, but cheaper than a new one, I suppose.

I have loaded AndroidLost to my other devices and attempted to push the app to my tablet, through Jumpstart.  It does locate my other devices, as long as they are turned on - and did play the alarm when I booted up my other device!

I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your help!  Any ideas you have are greatly appreciated as well.

Joycee

docbrown1
Bit Torrent
Message 6 of 9

Joycee said:

Doc,

Well, I was able to see from VZW online that my tablet was used, but not much so far.  The ADM has not found it, but it is great to be aware of!  I did figure out which device was which and renamed them. I am continuing to request the "ring" on my Xyboard, and praying the thief will feel convicted and return it.  VZW cannot tell the location of the device (which I find hard to believe), but they are no help. My deductible is $149 to replace through Asurion, which seems pretty high for a 2 year old tablet, but cheaper than a new one, I suppose.

I have loaded AndroidLost to my other devices and attempted to push the app to my tablet, through Jumpstart.  It does locate my other devices, as long as they are turned on - and did play the alarm when I booted up my other device!

I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your help!  Any ideas you have are greatly appreciated as well.

Joycee

View original

@Joycee,

I am sorry that you have not had any luck locating your tablet yet. Unfortunately, this is like trying to put an alarm on your car after it has been stolen, though sometimes tools like Device Manager will get lucky and catch your tablet when someone turns it on. If it has been stolen, it is likely that someone some day soon will turn it on to see what it is and may try to use it, so its always worth checking. Of course, if the thief gets locked out (attempts the password too many times) or uses recovery mode at boot-up to do a Factory Reset, then the tablet will not respond to anything. Jumpstart for Androidlost is really a long shot too, since it requires much more than just a connection to complete the installation.

I will keep my fingers crossed for you and please keep me updated on your progress (if any). If I think of anything else, I will post it here. If any connection is made (required for Jumpstart), then DM will recognize your tablet's location.

-Doc

docbrown1
Bit Torrent
Message 7 of 9

Hey Joycee,

Any luck or new developments finding your lost or stolen tablet?

-Doc

Joycee
What's DOS?
Message 8 of 9

docbrown said:

Hey Joycee,

-Doc

No Doc.  I did remember that it was my Samsung 10.1, however.  My daughter has my Xyboard.  The Google Android manager search helped me discover that, oh my!  There has not been any data use.  I left the data plan on with Verizon just in case it might help me find it.  

Thanks for asking!

Joycee

View original

docbrown1
Bit Torrent
Message 9 of 9

Joycee said:

docbrown said:

Hey Joycee,

-Doc

No Doc.  I did remember that it was my Samsung 10.1, however.  My daughter has my Xyboard.  The Google Android manager search helped me discover that, oh my!  There has not been any data use.  I left the data plan on with Verizon just in case it might help me find it.  

Thanks for asking!

Joycee

View original

View original

@Joycee,

It's too bad the tablet is still missing, even if it is another brand. I hope you eventually are able to find it or if not, I hope any data on that tablet is not compromised.

-Doc