Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
olddaw
What's DOS?
Views: 54
Message 1 of 5

XYBOARD 8.2: Thinking of purchasing a Xyboard

I am thinking of purchasing a Xyboard after usinf one in a Verizon store for a period of time. Can anyone please tell me the pros and cons of the xyboard. I own a Razr and I love it, Also what kinds of productivity apps from the Market are aavilable, an what accessories would you suggest.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 2 of 5

Re: XYBOARD 8.2: Thinking of purchasing a Xyboard

Welcome! 

This is a great topic. I bought the iPad (first gen) the day it came out - but don't worry - I didn't wait in line for hours, just strolled into a Best Buy.

I then got a Xoom close to when it launched. With all the competition (HTC and Samsung, and ASUS, Lenovo, and Toshiba coming soon) I was hesitant about the Xoom but I love it.

The fundamental problem with the Xoom, and even the iPad, Galaxy tab, and others, is the size. A 10" screen sounds great, but it's a large device to carry around. I had a Kindle Fire for a bit, and the form factor of that (6" screen) is really nice, but almost a bit too small for anything but web browsing and reading. The Xyboard 8.2 is a perfect middle ground. It's light, easy to hold, and slim, but big enough for a decent amount of real work, and movie/Netflix watching.

As for Apps, there are tons. Here is a list I use as a reference for tablet-specific apps:
http://www.xoomforums.com/forum/motorola-xoom-apps/570-optimized-honeycomb-apps-list.html

Pros are:

- Charges from micro-USB connector (same as RAZR) so you only need to bring one charger when you travel

- Native HDMI out with mirroring

- Verizon LTE service is fantastic

- Good form factor

- Great screen brightness/contrast

Cons:

- No Expandable memory (not a super big deal)

- Smaller form factor means smaller battery. I can get through a day on a single charge though, and a few days with light/moderate use

- Placement of camera - when holding the device in landscape, it's easy to cover the rear camera. Also not a big deal, just something to keep in mind.

Not sure if this is what you're looking for. Feel free to reply and ask more specific questions! 

bheath3
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 5

MK1151- Do you see a difference in performance from the original xoom? I too am toying with the idea of the 8.2in screen as the 10in is a little big to carry around all the time. I will wait for the next gen processor if there isnt a noticable gain in performance though. Thanks for the pro's and con's list!

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 4 of 5

@infin8ti:

The first thing I noticed was how FAST it starts up - I mean (for me), it's ready to go in about 1/4 the time. I also think the browser/keyboard is more responsive.

I have not done extensive side-by-side testing, but I do see a noticeable difference in overall speed and performance.

mxmarcus
What's DOS?
Message 5 of 5

I also tested the xyboard in one of the VZN stores and decided to get one but not too happy about a data plan I don't need