Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Martin444
What's DOS?
Views: 295
Message 1 of 6

Xyboard 8.2 only connects to EDGE

Hi, I'm using a Xyboard 8.2 in Canada that has been activated on Verizon's network in the US. It works perfectly on LTE in the US with a Verizon SIM. However, back in Canada, I have tried to connect to 3G using my Fido data SIM (brand new) and can only connect to EDGE (confirmed with a measured data rate of something like 120kb/s). When I force the tablet to use "UMTS only", it gives me a message that no networks were found.

But, when I put that same Fido SIM into a smart phone that covers 850/1900, the phone connects to 3G and I get the data rate I would expect (something like 3,000kb/s).

Can anyone tell me if there is a secret setting on the Xyboard that I need to set to be able to connect to 3G service, maybe something in the APN profile? I've used both "internet.fido.ca" and "fido-core-appl1.apn", which both work, but, again, only on EDGE. Maybe there's a switch in the profile I need to set that I'm missing?

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 2 of 6

Re: Xyboard 8.2 only connects to EDGE

From the Fido website:

How to configure an Android device

Android is available on many devices and different versions exist in the market. Some of the names and information or settings below may vary depending on the device you have. This guide was made to provide instructions on as many devices and versions of the Android OS as possible starting from Android version 2.0.

• Tap on Settings > Wireless & Networks > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names;

• Once on the APN screen, press the Options button on the device;

• Tap on New APN

• Enter a name into the APN Name field.

• Please insert the following APN settings:

APN Settings:

• APN: Fido-core-appl1.apn

• If you have a LTE device, use the following setting: LTEMOBILE.APN

MMS (Picture & Video Messaging Settings):

• MMSC: http://mms.fido.ca

• MMS Proxy: 205.151.11.13

• MMS Port: 80

• Leave the following fields blank: Proxy, Port, User Name, Password, Server

• Press the options button on your device, tap on Save in order to save the APN settings.

• Open the Internet browser icon on your device and start browsing. There are occasions where restarting your device is needed before it can browse. If you cannot connect to the Internet, restart the phone and try browsing the Internet again.

NOTE: The created APN will show up on the APNs screen. To activate the APN, tap on the radio button located in front of APN.

Comment in the spirit of COMMUNITY: "Share experiences / expertise, engage in the discussions, and offer advice and suggestions."
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 3 of 6

Wow. Don't know what happened. 

Trying again....

How to configure an Android device

Android is available on many devices and different versions exist in the market. Some of the names and information or settings below may vary depending on the device you have. This guide was made to provide instructions on as many devices and versions of the Android OS as possible starting from Android version 2.0.

Tap on Settings > Wireless & Networks > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names;

Once on the APN screen, press the Options button on the device;

Tap on New APN

Enter a name into the APN Name field.

Please insert the following APN settings:

APN Settings:

APN: Fido-core-appl1.apn

If you have a LTE device, use the following setting: LTEMOBILE.APN

MMS (Picture & Video Messaging Settings):

MMSC: http://mms.fido.ca

MMS Proxy: 205.151.11.13

MMS Port: 80

Leave the following fields blank: Proxy, Port, User Name, Password, Server

Press the options button on your device, tap on Save in order to save the APN settings.

Open the Internet browser icon on your device and start browsing. There are occasions where restarting your device is needed before it can browse. If you cannot connect to the Internet, restart the phone and try browsing the Internet again.

NOTE: The created APN will show up on the APNs screen. To activate the APN, tap on the radio button located in front of APN.

Comment in the spirit of COMMUNITY: "Share experiences / expertise, engage in the discussions, and offer advice and suggestions."
Martin444
What's DOS?
Message 4 of 6

Thanks eaccents, but it didn't do the trick. I have 3 APNs defined, including LTEMOBILE.APN as you suggested, but they all act the same way and just give me EDGE.

It's as if Motorola forgot to enabe UMTS in the tablet and you need to get into a service mode or something to activate it.

Is there a way to send service codes to the Xyboard? Remember that it's a tablet with no telephony, and so no phone-like key pad and "send" button to put in GSM codes, etc. Maybe someone knows of a way to do that?

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 5 of 6

Asking for help on this--I'm out of ideas Smiley Sad

Martin444
What's DOS?
Message 6 of 6

Thanks eaccents.

I've been travelling with the tablet in Canada and get the same problem all over. Fido tech support says they have no special APN settings other than what you already posted above, that 3G should work right off the bat.

Verizon sent me to Motorola USA, who sent me to Motorola Canada, who had no clue, of course. But I think it's a Motorola USA problem since it's their tablet and software load.

Google comes up with a few incidents of others having this problem in other parts of the world, but no resolutions.