CH

54 Signins

766 Page Views

• Views: 766
  • Message 1 of 7

LACP with 8124e and ESXi 6.5 vSwitch

2017-06-05, 16:30 PM

Hello

I'm looking for a howto paper: how can I configure LACP with ESXi 6.5 (vSwitch) and a Lenovo 8124e.

I only find the informations for Cisco an HP: https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1004048

I tried to configure the lacp like in the youtube video. But now there is no connection:

port    mode    adminkey  operkey   selected   prio  aggr  trunk  status  minlinks
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

16      active      3003     3003  suspended  32768    --     --   down       1

Any Ideas?

Thank you and regards

Luke

Solved! See the solution
Options

300 Posts

03-31-2015

US

670 Signins

5351 Page Views

• Views: 5351
  • Message 2 of 7

Re: LACP with 8124e and ESXi 6.5 vSwitch

2017-06-05, 17:16 PM

Hello Luke,

The configuration of the VMware side for LACP will be identical to attach to all vendors (using a distributed vSwitch, set teaming to “route based on ip hash” and enable LACP), just the vendor side (our switch) will be different. You need to do two things to create an aggregation on a Lenovo switch, set the LACP key to some common key for all ports in the aggregation, and set the mode to either active or passive (active recommended). As an example, if I wanted ports 1 and 2 to be in a 2 port aggregation:

Int port 1-2
lacp key 1000
lacp mode active

In the above, the key is locally significant only. Since all ports on Lenovo switches get a default LACP key equal to the port number, I prefer to start at some number not equal to any port (the key could have just as easily been 1 or 10 or 100). Specific to your LACP status you are seeing (suspended), there are several reasons why a port will go LACP suspended, and if you do a “show log” you should see the reason it went suspended (best to shut, then no shut the port, and then do a “show log rev” to see the most recent errors and it will be right there). Most common cause for this is not receiving any LACPDU’s from the other side, and you can confirm this by looking at “show int port 16 lacp count” and seeing if we are receiving any LACPDU’s. If we are not, then we are either not plugged into the correct device, or that device is not configured for LACP.

I notice you only are showing a single port, which is odd to create a single port LACP aggregation. Are you doing any form of vLAG (our version of Cisco vPC) with a second switch, and trying to aggregate across two switches? If so there are reasons why that might also fail, and they will also be shown in the log.

If you would like to send a show tech to mslavin at lenovo dot com I can probably tell you the exact reason the port is showing LACP suspended.

Thanks, Matt

Options

46 Posts

02-07-2017

CH

54 Signins

766 Page Views

• Message 3 of 7

2017-06-05, 21:07 PM

Hello Matt

Thank you very much for your fast and detailed answer!

We only have a new single esxi-Server, without "distributed vSwitch" we only have a "vSwitch".

My LACP configuration on the two G8124E-Switches (one logical Switch with ISL):

interface port 16
    lacp mode active
    lacp key 3003

vlag adminkey 3003 enable

This is exactly the same configuration on both G8124E Switches.

"most common cause for this is not receiving any LACPDU’s from the other side"

it looks like, this is the problem:

Jun  5 22:49:07 G8124-switchname NOTICE  lacp: LACP port 16 is suspended for not receiving any LACPDUs

"or that device is not configured for LACP."

I guess this is the problem, I made some screenshots from the esxi 6.5 configuration:

"re you doing any form of vLAG (our version of Cisco vPC) with a second switch, and trying to aggregate across two switches?" -> the esxi-Server is connected with two physical G8124e but it's one logical Switch (ISL).

Options

300 Posts

03-31-2015

US

670 Signins

5351 Page Views

• Views: 5351
  • Message 4 of 7

2017-06-05, 21:29 PM

Thanks Luke. The issue is that the standard vSwitch does not support LACP, only static aggregation. So it is not sending LACP packets and the G8124 is suspending the port to prevent an accidental loop. It is a bit confusing, in that In both the standard and distributed vswitch, you can set the same type of teaming (“Route based on IP hash”), and in the standard vSwitch, that is only ever just a static aggregation. But in the distributed vSwitch, you also have the option of enabling LACP on the “Route based on IP hash” teaming type to enable LACP aggregation. So you will need to do one of two things to get this working:

1) Change to a distributed vSwitch and enable LACP

2) Use the standard vSwitch and static aggregation, and configure the G8124 for static aggregation. To do this you would need to remove the LACP key from vLAG, disable LACP on port 16, make port 16 part of a static aggregation, and then add the static aggregation back to vLAG. The following would be the commands to do this (note I am not a big fan of static aggs, as there are no protections built in like there are with LACP, but they can still work just fine and will perform the same, regardless):

! Need to perform on both G8124’s:
! remove key from vLAG
no vlag adminkey 3003 enable
! remove LACP from interface 16
int port 16
  lacp default
  exit
! Create static portchannel on port 16
portchannel 1 port 16
portchannel 1 enable
! add portchannel to vLAG
vlag portchannel 1 enable
! exit config and save to NVRAM

Since static aggregations just nail up the aggregation and assume the other side is doing the same, there is not any way to truly confirm both sides are set correctly, short of looking at both sides (with LACP you can tell from the G8124 if the host is correctly set). You can do a “show portchannel summary” to see the ports are in a static agg, but that’s about it.

Let us know if you need more.

Thanks, Matt

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

46 Posts

02-07-2017

CH

54 Signins

766 Page Views

• Message 5 of 7

2017-06-05, 22:03 PM

Hi Matt

Thank you very much for your full description! :smileyhappy:

I made the the static aggregation with the vSwitch:

#show portchannel information
PortChannel 1: Enabled
Protocol - Static
Port State:
     16: STG  1 forwarding

Options

3 Posts

06-06-2017

VN

5 Signins

114 Page Views

• Views: 114
  • Message 6 of 7

2017-06-06, 3:56 AM

Thanks to this I can fix it

special characters . ki tu dac biet . tai game danh bai . ionline . https://ionlineapk.com/
Options

31 Posts

07-18-2017

RU

100 Signins

3123 Page Views

• Views: 3123
  • Message 7 of 7

2017-07-18, 13:13 PM

Hello ! Could you send the settings of your switch

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete