Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Linux Operating SystemsDebian
All Forum Topics
Options

15 Posts

05-08-2020

France

17 Signins

90 Page Views

• Views: 90
  • Message 1 of 11

Biometrics : Fingerprint reader and Debian Testing?

2020-05-28, 16:36 PM

Hello,

I am a happy user of the last Debian Testing distro on a Thinkpad P53 and everything works flawlessly, with the exception of the fingerprint reader and the infrared camera face recognition, which only work when booting Windows 10.

As I see there are some distributions, like Ukui, that do feature interfaces with fingerprint readers, and even specific developments on this available in my standard Synaptic repository, I'd like to know if someone here managed to have the ThinkpadP53 fingerprint reader working on Debian.

Any experience or advice would be extremely welcome, as I am not a geek user!

(Additionally I am quite sensitive to the fact that, contrary to the gnome distribution for instance, there is just no GUI for user credentials handling in Debian Testing, while it is probably there that I'd have looked first to check finger handling...)

Thank you!

Hervé

Herve S., P53 Linux
Options

681 Posts

07-22-2019

Canada

473 Signins

5406 Page Views

• Views: 5406
  • Message 2 of 11

Re:Biometrics : Fingerprint reader and Debian Testing?

2020-05-30, 21:31 PM

Hi Herve,

Check what version of fprintd and libfprint are in Debian (I have it on my todo list but it's been crazy busy recently). If you're using the new version (1.90) and get the firmware that is in testing on LVFS then the fingerprint reader will work - if it's older then it won't and will need updating. I have used the fingerprint reader under debian by building libfprint and fprintd myself - it wasn't too painful but it wasn't trivial either.

I'll try and look at that this week and get a bug raised. I've been trying to get the SOF audio stuff and some OLED brightness fixes into Debian for a couple of months now and afraid the fingerprint reader kinda fell by the wayside.

IR camera support in Linux isn't really there I'm afraid - the camera somewhat work on some platforms but not well. Out of curiosity what were you planning on using it for? 

Mark

Options

15 Posts

05-08-2020

France

17 Signins

90 Page Views

• Message 3 of 11

2020-06-10, 17:09 PM

Hello Mark, and thank you for this very precise answer!

I just checked the version you mention for fprintd : within the standard Testing repo it is awfully old (0.9.0 instead of the 1.90 you mention!) 

No wonder nothing works :-)

Now, I had a look at gitlab (they indeed reached 1.90.2) but as far as I can understand (and my understanding is rather poor!) gitlab seems to only propose the source code, considering the user will compile it -something I am almost sure to fail ;-)

I don't know if there is another repo that would contain a recent compiled version, nor even if this would be a prudent strategy...

To answer your question on the IR cam : I don't have a significant ambition with it, it's just that I see it seems being used by the 'face recognition' login when I (very rarely) boot on Windows 10. So no criticity for me. Now, I see even the basic 'Cheese' application does see both cameras (I can switch from color to IR). I'd say this is just out of curiosity; if I could login on Debian just with the fingerprint reader that would be perfect...

Thank you again, and any advice as to get the newer versions for fprintd & al would be welcome!

Hervé

Herve S., P53 Linux
Options

15 Posts

05-08-2020

France

17 Signins

90 Page Views

• Message 4 of 11

2020-06-13, 11:39 AM

Hello Mark,

Sorry to come back again ; I just learned that the more recent version of this libfprint that we were talking about, and which is obsolete on Debian-Testing, is indeed available on Debian-Experimental. 

I'm told there is no further dependencies, so that I could add it, try it, and remove it quite easily if things don't work. 

I think I understand how to add the Experimental repo without trashing all my update process -and anyway, after the installation I'll remove the related sources.list.d entry...

Do you think that, given my rather poor level in this area, it is something I can try without risks?

Thank you!

Hervé

Herve S., P53 Linux
Options

15 Posts

05-08-2020

France

17 Signins

90 Page Views

• Message 5 of 11

2020-06-15, 15:17 PM

I now have installed the famous 'experimental' version, but... when I issue a related command in the terminal, it seems fprintd v. 1.90.1 still does not "see" the reader:

~$ sudo fprintd-enroll herve
list_devices failed: No devices available

Herve S., P53 Linux
Options

15 Posts

05-08-2020

France

17 Signins

90 Page Views

• Message 6 of 11

2020-06-24, 17:24 PM

(a couple of weeks later)

There has been an update in the firmware updater in my Debian texting (fwupd) ; I just did it and retried : now the message is different but still wrong. Device is now seen but cannot be 'claimed' :

~$ sudo fprintd-enroll herve

[sudo] Mot de passe de herve :

Using device /net/reactivated/Fprint/Device/0

failed to claim device: Open failed with error: The driver encountered a protocol error with the device.

Herve S., P53 Linux
Options

15 Posts

05-08-2020

France

17 Signins

90 Page Views

• Message 7 of 11

2020-09-17, 16:10 PM
update in September 2020 : fprintd version 1.9 is now in my Testing repo. Once updated, I now can trigger fprintd with my reader properly. The only thing I did until now is enrolling a finger and then testing it. This definitely works. Having the xfce desktop I'm not sure I can actually go farther, as there is no GUI to control login...
Herve S., P53 Linux
Options

681 Posts

07-22-2019

Canada

473 Signins

5406 Page Views

• Views: 5406
  • Message 8 of 11

2020-09-18, 19:56 PM

Hi Herve

Somehow I missed your updated questions to this thread - but kudos for persevering with it.

It sounds like you have it all working but let me know if any questions.

Thanks

Mark

Options

15 Posts

05-08-2020

France

17 Signins

90 Page Views

• Message 9 of 11

2020-09-18, 20:11 PM

Hello Mark,

Indeed I think fprintd now works well; the only trouble I'm left with is my xfce distribution, in which I don't see a GUI to relate the fingerprint to the login screen.

I am checking this for other desktop's packages that wouldn't impose too much dependencies.

for now I found Gnome's gnome-system-tools which doesn't weight too much and would support handling the creation of new users but I'm not sure yet that it'd also handle fingerprints.

If I manage to properly understand how to deinstall it along with unused dependencies I'll definitely try it.

Herve S., P53 Linux
Options

12 Posts

10-04-2020

Costa Rica

23 Signins

135 Page Views

• Views: 135
  • Message 10 of 11

2021-08-31, 4:23 AM

I've installed

fprintd

libpam-fprintd

Also, added at least one finger

fprintd-enroll

add your finger like 5 times

Confirm it

fprintd-list USERNAME

Add yourself to input group

sudo usermod -a -G input USERNAME

And now I'm able to log in in Gnome with my finger

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms